TLZone Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed the member numbers are closing in on 9500. What about (more or less officially) rewarding the 10000'nd member here when that day comes? I think a one year gold subscription or something?

We could at least offer it...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:lol A good idea, but somehow we have to prevent current members from making new accounts to nab the prize:laugh

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I think we should purge all the inactive members. It's sort of silly to have a member list that large, I bet nearly 2000-5000 possible more never post. We can even purge the ones we don't want back. Like tuna750, :devious and the other scammers who ripped people off.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:stupid

You're right del. Can any of the admins try taking a list of people that have a zero post count and no logins for the last year? I bet that could clear the member list a lot.

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
A lot of people sign in to be get information they need but never post. I do it on a number of other sites! I would be more open to the idea of finding people that have not logged in in the past 16 months rather than those with no post count. On the other hand it's not going to happen though.

As for giving something to the 10,000th member... Just watch it be some dumbarse spammer that gets through. :banghead

...And if we started deleting members for based on some sort of prejudice do we really think Del would still be here? :dowhat

Where do you draw the line? :O

·
Registered
909 Posts
Also a point to remember, saying remove members that have caused trouble means also losing personal info about them, IP addy and so on, vB has a way to track IP and emails to stop them from joining again under different names now, and also means admin can look closer into this that match these users.

Anyways its good having a popular site, its only takes a few k in sql data to store it all.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Let's do this great thing for this great site, but what if the great guys suddenly change their ways and cheat to get the 10,000 th member number. I must say, as a conspiracy theory, that has to be in the top 5 sillyest ever. Did you read that after you wrote it? Shoot! Let's take a breath and step away from the computer.

This is a site full of folks that help each other, let's keep it that way. Blocking no contributors would suck, since you have to be a member to read the posts nobody would ever be able to sign in and check us out. Lots of folks read and don't post. I get PM's from folks with 0 posts all the time. Some folks are uncomfortable airing the stupid question in public since they have been places like Gixxer.com and others. So let's not dis the 0 posters as they are part of the zone every bit as much as we are.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm with you Doug. That's why I also wrote about those that haven't logged in for a year. Those are probably members no longer with us.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
:stupid that's what I meant. Bernie it's :cool I was not offended. I speak what I think and that sometimes develops a bad or often mis-understood point. In some cases what I meant is not what I typed like the above so your idea of inactive members would be better than the first one I tossed out.

:hail

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just noticed the member numbers are closing in on 9500. What about (more or less officially) rewarding the 10000'nd member here when that day comes? I think a one year gold subscription or something?

We could at least offer it...
That's agreat idea! But I think it should be avalible to all memberswho have a subscrption! So how about when we hit 10,000 we have a raffle for a membership and to make it fair we should only have one entry per member.
IMHO!!:)

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's agreat idea! But I think it should be avalible to all memberswho have a subscrption! So how about when we hit 10,000 we have a raffle for a membership and to make it fair we should only have one entry per member.
IMHO!!:)
Good idea. But why not make the raffle avaliable for all members? Not just subscribers?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Good idea. But why not make the raffle avaliable for all members? Not just subscribers?
either way as long as it's avalible to all members:)

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
871 Posts
the only reason i said subscribers was because those are the ones that care enough about this site to pay for it but on the other hand if they're not subscribers for what ever reason and they win they will get a subscription and hopefully pay for the next one in the future because they've realized the benifit of being a subscriber!:)

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
the only reason i said subscribers was because those are the ones that care enough about this site to pay for it but on the other hand if they're not subscribers for what ever reason and they win they will get a subscription and hopefully pay for the next one in the future because they've realized the benifit of being a subscriber!:)

too much effort just to convence one guy to be a suscriber maybe on 2008... I think the raffle should be a prize and an entertaining for people who really participate on the site.... I think include just suscribers is a good idea...

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
I think clearing out those that have not logged on for 12 months is a good idea and will provide a better idea of the real traffic on this site.

The records don't need to be deleted just archived so if that user does turn up after a year their existing account can be re-activated.

After 24 months of not logging on then they could be completely purged but the membership information archived for another, say 3 years?

It would then be down to the admins and mods to police the site watching out for tell tail signs of naughty persons..

It will mean that some screen names will still be unavailable but as long as they are shown as inactive on the member lists it would cover that end.

Giving a subscription to the 10,000th member I don't think would be a good idea but if the lists are cleaned up we would be some way off that number anyhow.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I think we just need to have a January raffle:laugh, when's the next one gonna happen?...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts