TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I would just like to know why the good ole USA in its super powerness is not using the metric system. There are only three countries not using the metric system and the US is one of them. Why should we have two sets of tools and two sets of measurements. Who the hell knows what 5 and 5/8th's of something is? Its alot easier to to guestimate and it seems more sequential to uuse the metric system. I digress.

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
Well, we tried to go metric back in the 70's, under Pres. Ford I think. They were putting up new road signs with km instead of miles and that sort of thing (I think i know where there is still one that was never changed back.:laugh) Then the ignorant masses rose up in protest. "It's too confusing and hard for us!" they cried, and that was the end of that. I suspect we probably won't convert to metric in my lifetime. :banghead

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Same reason we have qwerty keyboards:)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I'm ready for the metric system, but don't you dare take away my qwerty keyboard damnit! I don't mind both systems so much. I really only use the SAE for my height and for speed and distance. Most of my vehicles take metric tools so I'm good with that. Would be nice I guess if we were just one single system.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I've still got got all my ANF, BSF etc etc sockets!!! 8mm, 10mm and 12mm seem to be the only size used on everything these days :coocoo :laugh

I had to read this thread as i wasn't sure what your measurement was refering to :devious :devious :laugh and that's still in inches, tho CM's could make them sound bigger :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah According to wikipedia we had some sort of 10 year conversion plan in the 80's but Pres. Reagan ended it to curtail gov't spending. Other countries make the US convert all measurements before it exports...:crazy

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
We still use MPH in the UK!!! :)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
The US can't go metric. They can't spell metre or litre, they're just not ready for it. :laugh

Same with temperature, there's only a few left using Fahrenheit (I think the same three that are still using imperial), the rest of us are using centigrade - Celsius.

The US are still using a gallon that was around in the 1700's, couldn't and still wont use the imperial system that was defined in 1824 :laugh (there's the difference in their gallon compared to everyone elses).

I can remember us going metric here, one day I was learning feet and inches at school, the next it was mm and metres. I was too young to remember the change to decimal currency from pounds and pence though.

We're stuck driving on the wrong side of the road like the Poms though :rant

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
It's all bollocks - until we're using a unit of measurement based on the speed of light it's gonna be messy no matter what we use. And I vote for °K for temprature :)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Kelvin makes sense too, but freezing at 0 and boiling at 100 is good.

The speed of light is slowing down and not constant, it's no good.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Constant in a vacuum! And considering most of the universe is a vacuum :D
No, search for it. It is slowing down, there is no constant. It's so that the universe is only a few thousand years old it fits in with creationlists belief that God did it not very long ago. http://www.fsteiger.com/light.html

Click

:laugh
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/speed_of_light.html
At the 1983 Conference Generale des Poids et Mesures, the following SI (Systeme International) definition of the metre was adopted:

The metre is the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I'm glad the US still uses "our" gallon...gas just dropped on base to $2.24 per gallon and off base its 133 - 145 (depending on grade) per liter = $4.63 per "our" gallon:scared

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
No, search for it. It is slowing down, there is no constant. It's so that the universe is only a few thousand years old it fits in with creationlists belief that God did it not very long ago. http://www.fsteiger.com/light.html

Click

:laugh
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/speed_of_light.html
Oh har har I was talking about serious science not religious pseudo-quasi-science creation-bullshit-ism thank you very much

:)

How can those nutters continue to fly the flag of complete ignorance in the face of so much evidence ...??

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
i think globalization of standards is a necessary evil and all those who refuse to change need only remember one thing....

anything that is not changing.......

IS DEAD.....

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
decay is not a process of the orininal subject rather the re-absorbsion of the subject back into the greater good....changeing surroundings... NOT the Dead Subject

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I vote for metric! But I'll admit, it frustrates me to be working on an American made truck, but have to run in and get a metric wrench...:rant

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
who uses sae? I don't think I even have any sae tools except for a few wrenches that came with a set.

basically, it sucks, and I hope we get off our lazy asses and adopt metric.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts