TLZone Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep watching shows with Kung fu, Karate, etc., and after I watch them I get up and practice what I knew from many years ago! I think I'm wanting to get into some form of martial arts, but not sure which one to go.

I don't want to spar for starters or I just don't want to get hit or kicked, I could probably take being thrown a little! I just want to learn the forms and stuff, and be able to defend myself. I sleep with a large kitchen knife when my husbands away (weeks at a time) and sleep very lightly anyway.

I like when Steven Seigal fights, that looks pretty cool.
So what da ya think!?
dne'

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Aikido is (kinda) what Seagull practises - he even has his own schools in Japan & is mega-popular here even though he is a big fat asshole :laugh

Must get around to joining an Aikido class myself too ...

Being an American - why don't you just get a gun ???

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
How do you think your back will handle that?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
:lol

Kami is right on all counts...

Steven Segal is a big fat asshole and what he practices is not exactly Aikido. There are many forms of self defense and all have a slightly different strategy. My studies of Aikido are limited but what I took away is this: Aikido is a way to quickly disarm and quickly kill your enemy. Great skills for war. The guy I trained under was a sick freak with no regard for human life. But IMO there are some good points to Aikido. I prefer a mix of arts -some grabs and holds as a more non violent form of control over anothers actions.

Really you need a good street fighting/ self defense class. The techniques are simple and amazingly effective. Going head to head with someone who wants to do you harm is not always the smartest thing. Usually you need a survival strategy and to plan ahead.

Here is one good example that I teach my two sons. Obviously they can't go toe to toe with an adult -they will just be overwhelemed. So I teach them to work together if someone is trying to take one of them.

1) Scream and make noise
2) the one who is being taken will kick and wiggle and make themselves as heavy as possible
3) The other boy will grab onto the back pockets of the adult (one hand on each pocket) and just drag behind ready in case the adult should start to fall on them
4) when the boy being grabbed gets free or put into a trunk or captured in some way the other boy knows how to release away from the pockets and get away to get help

These guys can prevent me from going anywhere and I am as strong as they come. They love to practice this and I usually end up with blood coming from somewhere. :laugh They also do a good job of getting away one on one.

You only need a few tricks up your sleeve to be effective.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
It's a scary world we live in where you gotta teach your kids shit like that eh. Well, no more scary than any other time in history I guess :hmm "If you see the Romans coming run like hell"

Good advice Chuck ... I'll have to remember that if I ever have the misfortune of breeding :laugh

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Cood advice chuck and one I'll have to practice with the boys.

I studied shotokan karate to an orange belt level.

I really wish I would have stuck it out longer.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Jasen, my back is always considered, and has been doing better since an injection a few months ago, ( a ganlion injection via flouroscopy to the mid-sacrum) Not 100%, but much better. As I said, not looking for a type of martial arts to get tossed around in(kind of difficult to avoid), but as Kamikuza said, Akido may be a pretty good trick, and something I'll look at closely! I'll speak more tomorrow, just really tired right now!
Sleep tight everyone!
dne'

G

·
I use to train under Robert Bussey, until he retired. He's fairly well know in some martial arts circles. He schools were quite popular in Texas. He had a spin off school aimed directly at self defense for women. I don't recall what it was called exactly. The point is, do some looking in your area. There may be a school that is in line with what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I studied Shotokan to 1st Dan and my wife is a 3rd Dan. So many styles out there now -some good - some bad. see whats available locally and go see a few classes to see if its what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Glock .40 cal is MUCH better than a kitchen knife.....just my .02.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
My choice...

SW 500

If you miss they will shit their pants, if you hit them GAME OVER

The reason I teach my kids how to handle a bad situation is not because I am fearful that it will happen. You may think I'm nieve but we live in safe times. Shit just last week I was walking in a very "violent" out-skirts of NYC late at night. Wearing a suite and carrying a laptop. I thought -if it was gonna happen it would be now. Generally Dne the biggest danger in your life is probably the fact that you sleep with a knife sometimes. :laugh

What I teach my sons is mostly fun, a good way to get close to your kids and get some exercise. My point is Dne that it has to be fun or you won't stay with it. It also has to make sense, and to be effective it must be done regularly.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
There are many variables to consider. The biggest will be your ability to withstand being involved in martial arts with a bad back. It may be hard to really learn without tasting the canvass at least once in a while. You will have to be the judge of that. As already suggested, you should visit your local dojo's and watch. You may see just what is required of students and speaking with the instructors may offer some more solutions to your situation.

As much as I am "pro-gun", I am not too quick to suggest arming yourself, but it may have to be a serious option for you to consider. That said, with this as a possible choice, make no mistake, taking up arms is not a light task. You should be seriously considering attending a firearms school that will take you through the basics of self defense/combat shooting with either your choice of handgun or shotgun.

I would seek to attend a school like those offered by Smith&Wesson Academy, GunSite, Thunder Ranch or other schools which may offer some civilian based introductory classes involving home defense tactics. These schools are highly regarded and can be a great help in getting you up to speed with a newly acquired self defense weapon. Classes are staggered by skill level and you can than opt to attend more advanced classes in the future.

As a police firearms and defense tactics instructor, I can say that simply going to the gun store and buying your favorite movie weapon may wind up being a mistake. Worst case scenario, it can become a weapon that can be used against you if you are unfamiliar with it and wind up loosing it to your adversary.

Like you said, you have a specific situation with possibly not being able to fully become involved with martial arts training, if that turns out to be the case, I would suggest taking up the kind of firearms training that would make you more comfortable to weild a self defense weapon within your own home.
Ken

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Ken! and everyone! I just don't think I could shoot someone. I've heard that there's a moment of hesitation, and that's all the bad guy/s need, then they may have the gun(worse case scenario).
I guess I could start putting my alarm back on at night, but for some reason, I haven't cause I think that would scare the crap out of me. It has gone off before for no apparent reason.
Until one is in the predicament of being faced with danger, I don't have a clue as to how I would respond. Danger meaning a stranger coming at me. I think I have enough anger in me to probably really hurt someone! lol

Back to my back. I'll be honest, it wasn't so much my back as a nerve that was leading to my anal region, causing problems there. As said, it's much better, but I haven't tested it yet.

I will go to these places and observe and ask questions. An Akido place is about 3 miles and Karate places are all over. There is a Ju jitsu and Judo place close by too.
I also kind of look at it as kind of a exercise thing too. Maybe even relax me somewhat. When I was in Karate(1975), I didn't go anywhere as far as belts went, but did enjoy myself, but not the sparring! I remember the forms like it was yesterday and how to get out of some situations.
If put into a situation, it would be like facing someone with a knife, gun, object, being held to be raped. How to get out of these situations would be my goal. I sleep very lightly, but there are times when I am OUT! So, How to hurt someone with least amount of strength(brains over muscle) would be great!:kicknuts lol

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Lots of good advice from people in the know. :hail

You may underestimate yourself Denee. You are able to face danger and make rapid decisions under pressure every time you wield a sport bike at speed on a track. Not many women I know can claim to have it in them to do that. Taking up proper firearms training and getting comfortable with a self defense weapon as NYC suggests may very well be within your ability.

Maybe I am a heartless person, but if someone is in my house threatening harm to my family and myself, I would not hesitate one split second to take 'em out and I am certain I would not feel bad about it afterwards.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Aikido would be a great start. It concentrates on movement and technique over strength and power. You can go slow and "easy" or fast and hard. There are a lot of joint manipulations and throws involved in Aikido but depending on what level of training you are involved in it can easily be managed for someone with back problems. In a perfect world we would all be 20 years old and capable of enduring side throws, clothes lines etc.... but the reality is that we are not all capable. I've worked out with 60+ year old men and women in Aikido. The most important thing for someone with physical problems is to describe those problems to your instructors prior to beginning any lessons.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts