TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a mis-matched (color) set of Marchesini magnesium 5-spokes for my TLR. The rear came from Tlr2nv's TLR before he went to the Metmachex single sided swingarm. Its metalflake blue and silver right now, but I'm having a nick in the spoke inspected by a wheel shop, and it may come back to me with a weld repair mark. The front is brand new and white.

The problem is that I am installing a complete '04 GSXR radial front end that is narrower than the TLRs. I'll have to machine down the carrier faces on the front magnesium wheel to fit the narrower GSXR rotor spacing. I'll also need to repaint both wheels (prolly to black, as white is not my favorite color).

Should I do the work to fit the Marchesinis then pay for paint on both, or does it make more sense to sell them to a TLR owner who knows the value of magnesium wheels, repainted or not, and put the money toward a new set of black PVM 5-Y spoke aluminum wheels? I don't know if EMA can sell me a rear to fit the TLR, or if I'll need to machine new spacers...Doug, you reading this?

See the PVMs here at-

http://www.ema-usa.com/wheels/wheels_PVM.shtml

What should I do-:O

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Well, assuming there are no cracks, I'd say they would be worth around 1k dollars since they need powder coating. You can get some new one that fit correctly for not a whole lot more. (AL's anyway.)

might get more selling them seperately to someone that doesn't need a color change, but that might be someone difficult to find.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Assuming I have them color matched, I would hope to get a lot better than $1000 for magnesium 17" Marchesinis. The front is brand new and the rear is (or will be) in excellent shape...
:dowhat

New magnesium March's are over two grand, plus tax and/or shipping.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
You could always search threads here, I generally see them going for around 1200 for matched sets, same or less on ebay. One friend bought used ones for his TLR for 1200, another bought brand new marvic mag's for 1400...but others have different experiences I'm sure. I looked for several months before buying new, but prices might have gone up.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Buy new ones

I love my 5 spokes, but they are now discontinued. Be really really careful about letting anyone work on them. Weld magnesium? Where? Boeing? That could turn into a pile of crap.

If you powdercoat, take them to someone who works with Magnesium. Sandblasting destroys them, look for plastic media blasting. There is a place in GA. that does Mag. wheel restoration.

He is right about the price, two mismatched colors and one is repaired. $1K

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I think with what your talking about for the paint and repair, you'd be lucky to get a grand for them...

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
Van- let me know next time you need Magnesium welded :devious

Or plastic media blasted for that matter.... again:devious

1 - 10 of 10 Posts