TLZone Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 32 degrees SoCal is not the coldest place on the TLZone but my tiller definatley does not like the cold. I have not started it in a couple of weeks and it just wont kick. I have the battery ( three months old) back on the charger and am going to get at the plugs to check for condensation. After that I may be performaing the earthing mod for a bit more juice.

:bwtiller :cheers

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I'd definitely check those plugs. Even when I lived in Denver and rode on the really cold days, I never had a problem starting my TLS...That's a thought, :coocoo get a TLS and get rid of those cold-starting woes!:laugh

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have done the mod and it did seem to help. Cleaning up all the contacts might help to as they seem to grow green stuff pretty easy. It does run like a raped ape in the cold air once it starts!! Feels like another 6 or 8 hp. Anyone have a idea how much hp you gain from going to 85 and high humidity to like 50 degrees?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Try riding in single didget temps:devious

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cven,

I've noticed the same thing that in the cold weather it definately feels more powerfull, like a starved man at his first meal.

"raped ape" I am still laughing

·
Registered
871 Posts
:) it is like 34 degrees here and mine started up fine, but i keep the battery on a tender also!:)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Get a Battery Tender & hard wire the leads it comes with to your battery. I have my Tender's connector exiting out the tail section so with the hump/seat installed it is out of the way but still accessable. Keep it on the Battery Tender when you aren't riding the bike & you will be surprised how quickly that bike will start up.

:devious

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Battery tender helps cold starts..use quick connect so u dont have to remove both battery doors..it takes alot to start a cold vtwin but i manage to do it without even fast idle cable working

·
Registered
909 Posts
got to agree there, always ride mine no matter what, last year needed to use a jump start pack to get her running, this year running a tender so all is well, temps hit -2 today :( not a nice ride home, but heck tis fast, just got to be careful of that black ice around :(

·
Registered
871 Posts
Get a Battery Tender & hard wire the leads it comes with to your battery. I have my Tender's connector exiting out the tail section so with the hump/seat installed it is out of the way but still accessable. Keep it on the Battery Tender when you aren't riding the bike & you will be surprised how quickly that bike will start up.

:devious
i agree with mrdobalina 100%:hail

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
one other thing that can help and I have used this technique on many vehicles.

get a heat gun, one of the really hot, hot air guns and blast it up between the jugs and onto the throttle bodies for about 5-10 minutes. Not enough to make everthing hot but just to take the chill out of all that steel. The problem with really cold steel and fuel injectors...

is that the fuel will condense back out on the cold steel. With just a little warmth to the TB's and the intake manifolds...

it's like night and day.

I had a car that didn't like the cold, put a 100W drop light on the carb, a blanket and then closed the hood. Put the light on a timer so it would go on about 2 hours before I was going to drive the car... Totally worked. Kinda a poor mans block heater.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If your having a hard time staring the bike when it is cold and then it runs like a raped ape after it starts, I would say the your mixture is off. Dense air is rich in oxygen and can upset the fuel mixture enough to create this problem.
You should notice an increase in engine/head temp also.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should remap

pull2vertical,
I think you are correct because I reset my fuel mixture with a Yosh box to be quite rich something like 10/10/5. I think I need to reset it to account for low air box pressure and high air box pressure, maybe something like 5/5/10. This will probably improve the engines performance as well as millage.

Does anyone here in the LA/LBC/IE area have a Yosh box that would be will to reset my fuel mapping???

:bwtiller :cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts