TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike (rubberman) and I will be out there spinning some hoops. Any other SA boys want to join in? :devious

Gotta show Mike around the track as its his first time. Then he'll go all out and embarass me when he learns the lines better than I :laugh

·
Registered
397 Posts
who's running the show Ruby cost's etc , as mentioned today my ever reliable Skyline has let me down & thats number 1 on the list of priority's or at least that 's what the wife thinks ( sshhhhh she's coming keep quiet )

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
By the end of the 1st session Mike will be flogging most of the guys out there Ruby. No need to be embarassed buddy. He's one of the fastest guys i've ridden with :)

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to have the upper hand ... at least for 3 laps! :laugh

My mate Darren can get into the mid 1.40s at PI too, and I can't stick with the guy for more than 3 corners at Mallala ... so I think I'll be in trouble with Mike by the end of the first session. :laugh

So, you coming out Jason? :devious

Mike, as mentioned earlier, check the cam gears. I reckon the retaining/alignment pin has sheered off. I've seen this plenty of times on Datsuns/Nissans.

:thumbup

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
who's running the show Ruby cost's etc , as mentioned today my ever reliable Skyline has let me down & thats number 1 on the list of priority's or at least that 's what the wife thinks ( sshhhhh she's coming keep quiet )
Looks like a regular ride day. No name listed, but Cafe Racers may be holding it. No race day listed the following day, so no big fees or anything. Should be $115 to get out there. I'm looking at getting a shed for $25 If you wanna join me.

I've got the super Corsas going on and I've got the braided lines on and also my Braking waves (wanna see what improvements it gains). Looking at buying and changing the gearing from stock too. So with any luck, I should be faster than you for at least 2-3 laps :laugh until you get the feel for it and blast past me. :laugh

·
Registered
397 Posts
i'll be taking my car into the mechanics wednesday to find out how bad the damage is, the concern is as you mentioned the clearance between the valve's & piston possible replacement head $$$$$$$$ so at this i'll hold off going on the track but i will come out to see you in all your glory oh Ruby Valantino !!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll be taking my car into the mechanics wednesday to find out how bad the damage is, the concern is as you mentioned the clearance between the valve's & piston possible replacement head $$$$$$$$ so at this i'll hold off going on the track but i will come out to see you in all your glory oh Ruby Valantino !!
You're only tagging along to watch me crash! :rant

:laugh

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course! :rolleyes

I'll be changing the gearing by the Saturday, so I should have better drive out of turns 5 and 7. :devious

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dear Lord,

I thank thee for thy Alpinestars
I thank thee for thy Shoei
I thank thee for thy crash knobs
I thank thee for thy spare parts, levers and fibreglass repair kit
I thank thee for thy tyre walls
I thank thee for thy air fence
I thank thee for thy car and trailer
I thank thee for thy ebay
I thank thee for thy hospital cover
:hail

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did that Skyline go? What's the diagnosis/cost? :devious

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the concern is as you mentioned the clearance between the valve's & piston possible replacement head $$$$$$$$
If its only been at crank over speed, then there shouldn't be any major worries. There may be a slight clearance for 500rpm cranking. Even if the valves have kissed the pistons, it may only be a case of replacing bent valves. Head should be fine. Worse case should be slightly bent valve guides. But the way you described it, the valves weren't kissing the pistons.

What engine does the Skyline have? The L series don't allow for much clearance, but I'm sure the CA and RB series did.

·
Registered
397 Posts
mechanic advises damage to the head & snapped cam i have to replace the head ( of which i have a spare ) but it needs the valves doing re seating & a face still unaware of final costs at this stage

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fark! :eek:mg Broken cam? Stock or Waggot or ???

I had a stage 3 cam in my worked L20 years ago (amongst other mods) and it was lumpy but never broke! :laugh

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh what a good day. :D

Mike showed up to watch me play with the big boys on my 600. After some initial setup woes (Mike recorded me doing a 1m23.8s earlier), I ended up finding my "grooze" on the bike and ended up running consistent 1.23/1.22 in the 4, 5 and 6 sessions. Jason turned up in the last 2 sessions on his sewing machine :laugh Got very comfortable with braking hard and pushing the Super Corsas. Changed my riding style a bit and found new ways to go smoother too. Finally cracked the 22 mark with a best 1m22.7s. I'm loving the 600 now. :devious I guess you have one of those days where you feel "in tune" with the bike and the track. Today was that day! :banana

All up I'm very happy with the bike and myself "getting in the groove" with it. Next is a new chain,+2 rear, and radial master.

Next track day is 10th Feb. I'll be out there again! :D

:thumbup

1 - 20 of 26 Posts