TLZone Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has the tapity tap of the TL. Well mine is excessive so I'm afraid I have to tear her apart just before the seasons over. I know I have been kinda quiet on the forum but only because I have been RIDING. Now I'm back...

Noise is now loud enough that I can hear it inside my helmet with earplugs! Not good. Sounds like valve clearance is way too sloppy. Or maybe a spark plug has rattled loose. Maybe the TB boot has finally split. Maybe I spun a cam...

:cheers

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Valves tighten up and get quieter. If your spark plug were loose it would also run crappy, Sinning a cam bearing is quite unusual. I would also ask how often you have checked clearances? A little loose is better than tight. The decompression gizmo is noisy, they vary, if your idle gets a little rough the things rattle more. You might find a TB synch and TPS setting will quiet it down. Unless you did something odd to her, she should be fine.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Might be an exhaust leak:)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
mine was really loud when one of the pair valve breathers split. but i fixed that problem w/ a set pair valve block off plates!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are awesome. All better than what I would get from any repair shop.

Here is the scoop fellas. Bike ran fairly quiet then I went and added a PCIII. The PCIII took away some of my normal tapping. Now the fricken thing makes all kinds of noise. I am hoping for an exhaust leak or a pair valve leak. Even though the pair valve is out I just have the hoses plugged. I don't think so because last time the plug came out I got noticable weirdness at 4K rpms -not happening now.

Doug, I have 11K miles on her. I was planning to do valve clearances this winter. Like I said 2 months ago the valves made plenty of tapping noise but it could not be heard with a helmet on. Did the TB synch and TPS adjust just before summer. I think I might need to do it again WITH the PCIII. I tried a 0 map but the bike ran like shit -way worse than before I added the PC.

Great ideas guys, keep them coming.

Thanks,

-Chuck

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My pair valve had a bolt in it, but it blew the hose off on the hard section on the front cylinder. Sounded like a horrible exhaust leak with a terrible rod knock. I thought I had killed it and babied it to the bike shop. they laughed their asses off at me and slid the soft hose back on the hard line and put a clamp on it for free!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Also your cam chain tensioners could have adjusted themselves or be about to adjust. There are lots of things that go tick in that motor, very few are a bad thing and they change with temperature, oil viscosity, etc. Also full and empty gas tank affects it, air box lid on and off will change the volume of the clicking. If you can clearly hear clicking past about 5000 RPM or so, there might be a problem, below that it is the decompression gizom on the cams rattling:coocoo

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, did both the cam chain tensioners last year when I got the bike. Doesn't mean my replacements were good. The thing chatters at all RPMs and increases with the RPMs. Louder when hot. In the high RPMs (8K+) it turns from a repeated tap into almost a whirring noise. I am tearing the plastics off her tomorrow. At least I will get to ride her naked :) which always gets a lot of WFT looks :laugh

That was one of my fears driving home today -that it was the cam chain tensioner ready to let the cam chain jump a tooth or a valve ready to drop and lock up my ass end. Kept a couple fingers on the clutch just in case.

ALSO I forgot to tell you guys ever since I dropped that PCII in, the F1 light has been coming on periodically. But I just reset the ignition and it goes away. Plenty of fluid and oil and the temp is good so I ignored it. Its probably the ignition/ PC problem. I know, I know -go check the code you idiot...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am willing to bet big dollars that you have an exhaust leak, that's all - it'll sound like impending doom. Probably at the front header...this is VERY typical. Hopefully not at the back header, PITA... Go spend five minutes at your bike and double, triple check...instead of worrying so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts