TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 98 TLR that blowing the main fuse. I've spent a few hours following each wire looking for a break and nothing, even went as far as removing the wiring harness and checking and still nothing. What could it be, rectifier maybe? Also i've done the + mod and switched out the brake light. I've checked the stator, ignition, kill switch and haven't found anything that would cause the fuse to pop.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
How long does it take for the fuse to blow?
Instantly after key on?
Or does it run for awhile then fail?

Is this a newly developed problem?
Is the bike new to you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuse blows instantly. Happened about a month ago, I was out riding around and out of nowhere the bike died. I’ve had the bike for a few months now.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The fuse blows instantly. ......
Remove the main fuse.
Replace it with a small 12 volt bulb and a couple of jumper wires. An old turn signal works well for this.

Now when the key is turned on, the bulb connected to the main fuse terminals should illuminate. Note the rating of each fuse in the fuse box so as to reinstall them correctly. Now remove each fuse sequentially from the fuse box and take note of when the bulb's illimination level changes or extinguishes. This will allow you to identify the problem circuit.

If the bulb is still illuminated after removing all of the fuses, unplug the regulator also.

Once you determine which circuit is the culprit, then we can focus on certain parts of the wire loom to find the short.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I need to put a jumper wire to each post that the fuse goes into and connect it to the bulb? If so it lights up immediately without the key turned. I also found out that the fuse will not blow if the plug with the 2 red and 2 black and white wires going to the regulator is disconnected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish I would’ve checked that before I took my entire bike apart😂. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Glad to see you are making progress. (y)

Now would be a good time to upgrade to a MOSFET regulator and the associated wire changes. In fact, there are a number of weak points in the TL wiring loom. With a few relatively easy modifications, it can be made much more durable and reliable. Two of them are described in the links below.

Definitive Charging System Diagnostic & Upgrade Thread

Crappy Suzuki Wiring !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts