TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...

This is my first post and I'm hoping that someone can help me out...

I've got a 2000 TLS with a problem; it keeps dying.

The symptoms are:
- bike randomly dies while riding
- main fuse is blown.

No other symptoms.

One would expect that there is something shorting (intermittently), but I have yet to find it. I've put an ammeter on the bike, and have activated every bit of electronic gear on the bike, but I have never gotten it to blow the fuse intentionally, or ever get it above 20 amps peek (other than starting). I've turned things on and off, shaken wires and the diode pack, shaken the bike, turned everything on at once (lights, horn, turn-signal, etc.), tried it hot and cold, but all with no luck. I've now pulled apart the entire rear of the bike, wire harness and all (the front will be soon), and haven't found ANYTHING of any interest whatsoever. I feel as if I have yet to make ANY progress. I've checked everything that's been suggested to me, but still nothing.

I've gone through the wiring diagram, but still can't figure out what's happening. None of the other fuses are going, so it would indicate that the problem is before all those smaller circuits...but maybe not.

I have no idea where to look now and I'm too scared to ride it to see when it happens (because last time it died on me in a left-hand turn!), and I just can't afford to take it to a shop and have them spend hours and hours trying and replacing everything they can think of.

Has anyone else come across anything like this? Any educated ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Welcome :thumbup

The two main postive's off the starter relay go to the ignition switch (green plug under the airbox,R/H side) and to the gauges (white plug under the R/H fairing)
Could it be a power surge. :O

The plastic covered metal loom clips at the fuse box on the fairing/headlight stay can attack the loom but those wires are going to fuses which you think would blow before the 30amp at the relay.
Most of the rear wires are on the inside of the frame rail so the seat can not rub or crush them (in theory)

Bad earth perhaps.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
Get the bike naked. I'd concentrate up the front where the cables move. i.e ignition switch wires and headlight beam selector wires (the high low switch is before any fuse IIRC).

It's possible there is fraying under the tank area too, so lift it, pull the airbox and have a good look there too.

·
Moderator,
8,222 Posts
:stupid, both of them.:laugh Not much to add so I'll just say welcome to the Zone.:)

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
You might want to look around 6 to 8 inchs from where the wires come out the bottom of the front fuse box..wiw

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have another look soon.

I should have mentioned, however, that it doesn't seem to be happening only at start, but rather completely randomly. Not sure if that makes a difference...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone...

This is my first post and I'm hoping that someone can help me out...

I've got a 2000 TLS with a problem; it keeps dying.

The symptoms are:
  • bike randomly dies while riding
  • main fuse is blown.
No other symptoms.

One would expect that there is something shorting (intermittently), but I have yet to find it. I've put an ammeter on the bike, and have activated every bit of electronic gear on the bike, but I have never gotten it to blow the fuse intentionally, or ever get it above 20 amps peek (other than starting). I've turned things on and off, shaken wires and the diode pack, shaken the bike, turned everything on at once (lights, horn, turn-signal, etc.), tried it hot and cold, but all with no luck. I've now pulled apart the entire rear of the bike, wire harness and all (the front will be soon), and haven't found ANYTHING of any interest whatsoever. I feel as if I have yet to make ANY progress. I've checked everything that's been suggested to me, but still nothing.

I've gone through the wiring diagram, but still can't figure out what's happening. None of the other fuses are going, so it would indicate that the problem is before all those smaller circuits...but maybe not.

I have no idea where to look now and I'm too scared to ride it to see when it happens (because last time it died on me in a left-hand turn!), and I just can't afford to take it to a shop and have them spend hours and hours trying and replacing everything they can think of.

Has anyone else come across anything like this? Any educated ideas?

Many thanks in advance!
Hi i have a similar problem, but cant find the main fuse

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Hi i have a similar problem, but cant find the main fuse
I'm sure Ricky assumed you have a TLR. However, while you didn't specify, I'm thinking you have a TLS. If so, the starter relay and main fuse are located on a bracket fastened to the rear hinge mount for the fuel tank (in the OEM configuration). There are normally two fuses in the starter relay, but on is a spare.

The item you have pictured is the Tip Over Sensor (TOS).

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
I had an issue a little while ago were the main fuse was blowing. It turned out to be the cross bracket that secures the battery was pushing against the connection for the starter relay, cutting into the four cables and shorting them out.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hey Tony, yes I assumed (not a good thing) it was an R. :) Tony, I lost your email address, can you send it to me in a PM please?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts