TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
the biggest mistake people make is believing that a restriction at a point where air needs to change direction is a problem.

narrowing the point where air turns increases its speed and causes it to follow the path. making the area bigger slows the air and in fact causes less air to flow .

factories go to considerable lengths to design inlet tracts.

they do things for a reason.

·
Registered
248 Posts
the biggest mistake people make is believing that a restriction at a point where air needs to change direction is a problem.

narrowing the point where air turns increases its speed and causes it to follow the path. making the area bigger slows the air and in fact causes less air to flow .

factories go to considerable lengths to design inlet tracts.

they do things for a reason.
But if you can increase the actual volume air moved, are you not better off?
I realize air speed is important, you can mess up heads by opening up the intakes too much thus slowing intake velocities down resulting in less air volume trapped under the valves when they close.

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
But if you can increase the actual volume air moved, are you not better off?
Tls are notoriously difficult to gain benefits from airbox modifications. In many cases they actually decrease power instead of gaining it. Between them Ring-In and Sam have tested a wide variety of mods using flow benches and dynos, the results of which have been posted both here and TLPlanet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Tls are notoriously difficult to gain benefits from airbox modifications. In many cases they actually decrease power instead of gaining it. Between them Ring-In and Sam have tested a wide variety of mods using flow benches and dynos, the results of which have been posted both here and TLPlanet.
Agreed the TL motor in stock from is a healthy lump. Especially considering its age.
Are the people running Sam's 1080 big bore kits still using the stock air box set up?
If they are and making 145~147 rwhp, (approx. 20~25 over stock, thus an increase of ~20%)
I guess the stock air box is good enough and it's not the limiting factor we think it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1- This is an AEROBOX from TLR
2- I made fiberglass inserts because I broke the foam rubber sealing frame with aerox (13736-02FA0-000), so I wanted to seal the incoming air flow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts