TLZone Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just bought a 2000 TL1000R with 18,000 miles on it.
It was unused for about 3 years before I bought it.
It ran great for a while but after some time it started with some issues.

It would not rev past 7000 rpms and turn off.

Took it to my mechanic and he told me that the fuel pump needed to be replaced, so it got replaced (not by a OEM pump, but with a compatible one). He returned the bike to me but after a couple of days the bike started doing the same. Not being able to rev past 7000 rpms and turn off.

I took it back to the mechanic and he told me that my fuel pressure regulator needed to be changed. But I read in this forum that fuel pressure regulators almost never fail so I don’t trust my mechanic at all.

Please see the following video my mechanic sent me:

With the given information, do you have any clue on how this could be repaired?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lopez!

.....He returned the bike to me but after a couple of days the bike started doing the same. Not being able to rev past 7000 rpms and turn off.

I took it back to the mechanic and he told me that my fuel pressure regulator needed to be changed. But I read in this forum that fuel pressure regulators almost never fail so I don’t trust my mechanic at all. .......
If the fuel pressure regulator is indeed failing by allowing insufficient pressure to develop, it can be verified.

Simply clamp the fuel return line between the regulator and the fuel tank. This will stop the flow of fuel out of the regulator and allow the pump to build pressure in the fuel rail. If the pressure builds up to spec, the regulator is bad.

If the pressure remains low, and the running problem continues, with the clamp in place, then the low pressure is a result of a failing or insufficient pump.

Also keep in mind that since the bike was sitting for 3 years, the fuel injectors may also be clogged/varnished which could add to the poor performance above 7000 RPM.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts