TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped to see a new shop in Atlanta. The owner said let's throw the bike on the dyno and see what she does. came up with 99hp and 61lb/ft :banghead

I mostly just cruise around on her and ride to the mountains, she's streetfightered and I rarely do any fast stuff or even have her at WFO very much, I was ridin 2 up today and got on it for a second and even said to the gf, "aint she fast?" but now that I know what she's puttin out its gonna make me crazy.

they said to do a leakdown test and check the valves since i bought it used and dont really know the history of it, before tryin to do a map.

I dont have a power commander, i did map it with a yosh box a while back. she has slip on Yoshis and the airbox lid removed and that's it.

guess im gonna have to get a power commander and a custom map done :banghead

he did say it was really rich from about 7k on up and it has a dip from 5-6k (right where I ride most). He had another run on file from another TLR that looked what like what you generally see for reference, 117 hp. that bike's curve really took off from 8k right were mine got rich and didn't do anything. I guess I'm most concerned about the 61lb/ft, I really like the torque part....

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Change your fuel filter , mine was choked up prety bad . Big difference after

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Did you get the curve on a disk or just paper? Is the entire curve low or just the peak limited? Is that "corrected" HP? How many miles on 'er? Any airbox mods? Which Yosh slip-ons, race baffles or street baffles?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Did they give you a rich/lean curve with the HP / torque plot?
How did you do the tune w/ the Yosh box in the first place?
The difference between reporting 99 and 100 is just which way it rounded...and I'm sure there's plenty of TLs running around making about 100 HP.
Just a dirty air filter and old plugs can make a few HP difference.
You'd need a fresh air filter and plugs before tuning anyway,
I'd be inclined to borrow a Yosh box and go tune
with the aid of the dyno this time
before spending money on the power commander.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Start with all the simple stuff
Plugs
air filter
valve clearance
sync throttle bodies
TPS
etc.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid but also might add fuel filter to that list and check that the flapper valve in the air box is opening as it should.

·
Registered
217 Posts
get your lid on

change your air filter
end put the air box lid on again if you want more power from 8k and upp.
if you want to hef more power below 7k dont put the lid on

after get a powercomander end make them adjust the bike to work with chanches dun

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like I got some wrenching to do. the plugs are fairly new iridiums. I'm sure I could use a new air filter. I've set the TPS, but I haven't synced the TBs.

I guess I'm reluctant to mess with the fuel filter bc you have to take out the fuel pump, right? and I've had a leaky tank on my previous TLR and this one doesn't leak yet....

How much top end hp am I losing without the air box lid? mine's streetfightered and I dont do any high speed stuff.

thanks for all the replies :cheers

·
Registered
217 Posts
do a air box mod search in the forum and youl find dyno for bikes with lid on and off

the injektjon runs to gether with air and fuel. and you are running the bike with
to much air in low revs. end to little in hy revs. so your injektjon must be adjusted
for mor fuel in low revs. and less fuel in hy revs. this can be fixed vith powercomander

another theng is your exhoust it has bin altert
then you shud get a race airfilter

·
Registered
258 Posts
For a few thousand miles my R ran progressively slower over the months, couldn't figure it out, really flat on top, like a misfire or running lean, fuel filter was next on the list for replacement, turns out the fuel filter was farked, which (i think) led to detonation on a few high speed runs, which then shattered my big end bearing on the front cyl. As yours is runnung rich up top, i'd say that isn't it, more likely a dirty dirty air filter, but change your fuel filter anyway, my bike only had 19,000miles on it. be warned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
the answer seams to be in your post , " runs really rich above 7000rpm "
lean it out (above 7000 rpm )and you will make more power .:)

·
Registered
451 Posts
could be the dyno could be could be air filter could be fuel could be weather could valve need to be adjusted could be plugs bike might not have been up to temp who knows . when you ride with other bikes can you keep up if so then who cares. Also rember the TL utilizes ram air in it dezigne who accurate could a dyno really be i am sure the bike runs better its on the road.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
tv1000s said:
when you ride with other bikes can you keep up if so then who cares.
:stupid

On the track I can't keep up with the R1's or gixxer1000's on the straights. If it ruined my fun, I'd be changing motors or bikes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts