TLZone Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
by the way you are describing the tinging sound and how it changes with temp, mine has made the exact same sound since day one. properly broke in and still does it at 4600miles. i took it to two different shops at 1000miles and asked them to ride it and listen. both said that it was normal and they didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. i made sure both techs were familary with TLRs and both times they took me out back to show me theirs, so i was a little more inclined to trust them. does it do it all the time or just under acceleration and upper Rs like 7-8K like mine? really anoying untill its warmed up so now i wont leave the driveway untill it is fully warmed up.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
have you check it yet? timekeeper told me there is a tapping sound in my engine, wonder what it is

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No I'm still at work, It does it mostly at idle speed and I never hear it again after that...Of course that could be my mufflers (M4's) are pretty loud.
I hear it once in awhile on decell at low speeds...I dont remember my S motor ever making that sound of course this R motor seems quite different in many ways. Dont know if its a reason. Could the valve springs be stiffer? And slam shut with more authority than the S engine? The engine runs perfect otherwise, I need to ge it mapped as when I put in my PC1 it wanted to stall all the time at lights but ran great up top. So I unplugged it till then.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Hey! - the girlfreinds stories are more interesting than the bike!!

But, as regards a timing light? - The Tl's uses a "redundant" spark, i.e fires twice for every stroke. Therefore, you wont know what your looking at or when? Although, yo might be able to sync the exhaust with one flash then use the "other one"? Pretty hard I would have thought?

Frankly, if its only happeninig at idle, it cant be that bad? Rods, slap, bearings get worse under load.

I think the exhaust decompressor might be dodgy on that cyclinder or the cam tensioner?

Does pulling in the clutch change the noise?

the exhuast being purple is interesting though? My pipes are factory staaniless and only get golden even at the back. Unless yours are thin walled or something, it wuld suggest that that one is getting hot (who knows what the next heat colour up from gold is?)

So, its psooible its detenoitaing but again, I'd expect that to be worse under load?

You still live in the same locale as your ex wife? "rent" that bar girl and take her down thegym one day, that;ll piss off your ex!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
HeHe ya that would be funny My ex has never ever seen me with another woman since she left, I know she has been weird before when she had heard I was dating a person from time to time.
I only live like 3 miles from my Ex in the same town. I own my house and have been here for 5 years then she goes and rents a stinking apartment nearby...She even suggested I sell my house and move since the town aint big enough for the both of us...YA RITE..
She moved here like 3 months ago...I think her butt should never have come here. :O
When I pull my clutch in the noise does not change, I tried to use my scope but the old battery has corroded the entire circuit board and ruined the tool so I cant use it. :rant MY LUCK.
I have been working on my car the last few days anyway so the bikes sitting for the moment. I hate oil leaks with a passion and I have a tiny leak on my car that drips right on the exhaust header...Its coming from one of my very expensive Aeroquip fittings and I cant tell which one...:rant I hate headers they are more trouble than they are worth...I had to spend like $250 bucks to relocate my oil filter assembly etc. and still have problems....I hope my date tonight makes up for it...I need to have some fun finally this week.

·
Registered
90 Posts
do you have stock pipes going to the M4's? if so check the metal gasket that is in the connector pipe that balances the exhaust. my bike lost that gasket and the tick became so loud i thought i ruined a valve and drove home @ 20mph...just the gasket...thankfully. the cylinders are such a high compression that a small leak in the exhaust can have that metal tick sound. i would check and then that would explain why there is a little back pressure on your decel. if your exhaust is fully sealed then you shouldnt have any pops. i had pops that could wake the friggin dead and i was running D&D slip ons. i changed all my gaskets and the loud tick went away and so did all the pops..even under hard downshifts.

btw, i ride the hell out of my bike too...im 250lbs and i need all the torque i can get. :devious

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nope full system with slip fits and springs but it bolts up to the front cylinder. I am thinking the slip fit under the motor may be the culprit. or the head to pipe joint.
I did not look at it this weekend since I worked on my car again and went dirtbike riding yesterday I put 60 miles on my WR almost all off road yesterday. Only crashed once all day climbing a hill I spun out towards the top turned sideways and went to put my foot down but the ground was like 8 feet away...Oops...So the bike and I tumbled all the way down. The guy with me did the same thing 30 seconds later on his bike too so I dont feel bad. I was lucky the ground was pretty soft so no damage to me or the bike. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
AHH YA....Bike mechanical problems and women....At least you can sell a bike. Women...you can't live with them and you can't :fire .:laugh Thank god I found one I can live with.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
:) Ya, Good for you, Maybe I can find one worth living with too...The bike can sit when I dont feel like messing with it. Women are always needy. :O My car is alot like a lady though always something wrong,grumpy,leaky, and needs alot of make-up until the Plastic surgery(Bodywork) is finished...But I cant wait to see it finished.
I spent 11+ hours Saturday just working on the tail panel and trunk of my 69' Bird...I grafted in a 69' Camaro tailight panel minus the tailights and reworked a bunch of previous amatuer bodywork, I got the new trunk lid to finally fit perfect and flush with everything. The trunk closes with just the slightest finger pressure and a solid click. The car had been hit in the back and nobody reproduces a tailpan for a 69' Firebird...So I did the next best thing. Anyone who thinks there is just a nameplate difference between a Camaro and 'Bird needs to talk to me because there are HUGE differences especially in the earlier years cars. I can tell you every major difference from 67-9 on both brands of car. I have alot of parts they say cant work on my car but a Mig/Tig welder and saws can fix those odds. It would take a concours show judge to find some of the changes I made :) It all eats into my riding time :O But it's colder than I want weather wise too so I'm not missing out much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed real recently that my bike has a loud tick that sounds like it is coming from the front cylinder...I know TL's tick I've owned mine since 97' But I dont see any exhaust soot around the exhaust joint...I get the feeling its an exhaust leak. but where? Its higher piched than normal and almost metallic sounding. I seemed to notice it more with the M4 exhaust now on the bike...Is the header thinner maybe than the factory Pipe? letting more noise escape?
I wonder about the joint under the motor as well cuz it seemed kinda loose slip fit....Should I put some of my aluminum silicone in there? We make a Silicone that will definately hold up but I dont know if I need it.
My bike only backfires down low just a few real light poofs nothing flame shooting or nothing.

My new motor has about 2 thousand miles on it. It couldn't be the valves could it? I am running 10/40 Suzuki Oil as factory says. The bike is running great just has a much louder than normal sounding tick.
Oh I did not replace the exhaust gasket at the head when I switched exhaust do you think it could be compressed and be the culprit? Like I said no visible soot around the head...
I just changed the oil like two weekends ago also. Any suggestions are welcome...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts