TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed real recently that my bike has a loud tick that sounds like it is coming from the front cylinder...I know TL's tick I've owned mine since 97' But I dont see any exhaust soot around the exhaust joint...I get the feeling its an exhaust leak. but where? Its higher piched than normal and almost metallic sounding. I seemed to notice it more with the M4 exhaust now on the bike...Is the header thinner maybe than the factory Pipe? letting more noise escape?
I wonder about the joint under the motor as well cuz it seemed kinda loose slip fit....Should I put some of my aluminum silicone in there? We make a Silicone that will definately hold up but I dont know if I need it.
My bike only backfires down low just a few real light poofs nothing flame shooting or nothing.

My new motor has about 2 thousand miles on it. It couldn't be the valves could it? I am running 10/40 Suzuki Oil as factory says. The bike is running great just has a much louder than normal sounding tick.
Oh I did not replace the exhaust gasket at the head when I switched exhaust do you think it could be compressed and be the culprit? Like I said no visible soot around the head...
I just changed the oil like two weekends ago also. Any suggestions are welcome...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it was the valves I wonder if I switched to a 20/50 oil just to try If it gets quieter if thats a good indicator of the valves are loose and need checked? I have heard something before about a spring breaking before in peoples scissor gears making them tick real loud too, a possibility? I ran the bike pretty hard at the dragstrip just recently but otherwise I have been basically respectfull to the new motor wheelie wise etc. It has done a few but not like I used to.
I get a little paranoid anymore after blowing up the original engine....I guess if this one poops the bed I have have a good top end left on the old motor....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
20/50 will make your bike run extremely hot. I recommend adding X1-R engine treatment to it to quiet it down. You can get it at wal-mart and its about 13 bucks for 8 ounce bottle.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No , you dont understand, I mean just to test to see if the oil quiets down the noise then I will know its valves not exhaust ETC. Before I tear off the radiator and pull off the valve cover...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
oh I see. I didnt finish reading:laugh got lazy I guess. My tick is pretty loud and I did check the valves and that wasnt the problem. I also ran 20/50 in ine and it didnt change the noise. good luck.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You telling me just live with it? Did you ever find a problem? I will run the pee out of it if its just noise...I think I will replace the exhaust gaskets anyway and see if it helps, I hope its just a noise from the headpipes being thinner...I may just sell the beast if I end up losing another motor...If they are that fragile I dont want it anymore...Gixxer 1K or ZX10 would be calling:dowhat

I love my old Tillis but if it becomes a unreliable money pit I wont put up with it. Damn engineerd obsolescence...

R

·
0 Posts
Drain your oil and check your filter for metalic bronze type material. I had a ticking coming from the front cylinder which eventually turned into a knock. The reason it sounded like the front cylinder is that the rod was so loose from the bearings being ground away that there was enough slop in the rod to cause the piston skirt to bang away on the barrel.

Drain the oil, let it settle for a few hours or overnight then drain it out of the container and see whats in the bottom. At least then if its nothing you can rule out the bottom end. Anything else is practically a cheap fix.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Why bother with all the hassle of heavier oil? Just check the tappets?

Failing that, I'd take of the scissor gears. On mine, One (only one) gears springs had enlarged its grooves so it was slopping around.

Try prising between the two gears to see if any spring pressure? If really bad, it wont have, but I'd physically check, easy to do.

I removed completely, noise goes therefore.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mine has been doing it for 8000 hard miles. Im getting an 04 gsxr1000:devious

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Could be as simple as an exhaust leak.
You should always use a new gasket when changing the exhaust

·
Registered
54 Posts
def check the exhaust. seams like anytime i take y exhaust off or
just move it, it leaks and i have too get new gaskets. also if you want too weed out where the nosie is coming from. take a screw driver and put it against the head and listen too see if the tapping is coming from the valves. mine has a little tick during
acceleration probably time for valve adjusemtn for me

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That last post there reminds me, My dumb arse owns a damn engine stethoscope! I need batteries for it but it has a sensitive probe microphone and can pin point any noise down to the exact location...I forgot all about owning it.:coocoo
I will get the new juicesticks and see if it helps me...I am a little scared because it does sound like a piston slap sorta sound.
I lost the bottom end on my last motor and am more than familiar with what the bearing material looks like.
When I changed the oil just recently it looked great other than being blackened and having minor gas smell.
I need to change the oil again right now after the Dragstrip I'm sure it has alot of clutch material in it.
I thought if you remove the scissor gears it made the engine real noisy? I could care less about a noise if its always there consistent and steady but this noise seems to change when cold its louder than when its normal temp then it gets louder again when it gets hot like over 220 in traffic. This motor is brand new out of a wrecked bike that had only 122 miles on it, I am lucky to have another 2000 miles on it since.

I doubt its another bottom end its a 99 motor with the better oil system. My old motor was a 97 and had over 18,000 very hard and very wheelied miles on it before it let loose. I never had any valve issues with the old motor either. I am leaning heavily on the exhaust being the problem because I never never noticed it before the exhaust and I dont have 500 miles on it since the change. Its just an elusive ventrilaquist(sp) kind of noise maybe even an echo? from a different area...The stethoscope should be a good friend to this situation...I will update with my findings.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Yes, in theory, the sciccors or lack of, will make it laouder but .. if they are already so worn to be rendered useless, they will have the net effect of quieting it down. All mine are coming out soon. Probably just a noise emission test thing anyway IMO

As to an exhaust leak? I've never heard a blow that sound so mettalic as you describe? If its that bad, you'd simpley feel it with your hand, or cheek?

I have a loud single tap on the left side, as though eminating from the clutch (engaged or not) Using a screwdriver to the ear it easily heard/felt but .. it s been there for 20 odd thousand miles, no better and no worse! Woonder if thats what your hearning?

I've heard there is a clutch bearing noise? Maybe this is it?

I just cant beleive an exhuats would be so mettalic? Love to hear a recording of it though?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would have no idea how to make a recording for the computer...Have you ever heard the sound of a small block Chevy V8 with cheap headers and a full exhaust system? It makes a "Tinny" metallic rapping sound that is very prevelant to the tuned ear...Its alot like that. But when I put my face down there next to the engine while its running it really sounds like its coming from the cylinder/cyl head area...Which is baffling.

As a side comment my Stainless pipes are not gold anymore...they are turning Purple??? Is that normal? they are still gold back at the mid-pipes and the collector.

I almost wonder if I am just hearing the engine firing through the side of the cases...Is it possible to be so paranoid as to hear the firing of the cylinders independantly and think of it as a prob.? Maybe the pipes are actually quieter than stock making the internals noise more pronounced? Its driving me nuts wondering about it...I may just leave work early go home and spend the afternoon figuring it out with my scope....

BIG QUESTION....How do I hook my timing light up to the engine to see if the noise is at engine speed or at half engine speed? Do I use the front plug wire or the back wire? also I can listen while the timing light is flashing to see if it flashes exactly the same time as the noise possibly pin pointing leak if therre is one...I quit smoking so I cant hold a cigarette up to the pipes and see if there's a breeze...

·
Registered
72 Posts
:dowhat

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I hope not sounds like you are too hard on the bike. :O If the second engine is going you have bad luck on engines.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tell ya what Del if this engine is going too I am selling the bike for parts and taking what I get down to the dealer and buying a new liter bike with four puffers in it instead of two...I am big and I push a bike real hard, I need so much horsepower that the thing can be lazy for once. I think I do stress my twin more than most.
I think Luminarystl can Vouch for the super clean condition of my TLS but I cant keep swapping engines...

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I don't balme ya, I swapped once myself and if mine goes again I'm done also.

So far I've had decent luck with it though. Just an engine with $2500.00 miles should not be giving you problems, unless you totally neglected it, which I know is not the case. How's the GF dance club gal working out?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haven't seen her since, I guess those types o girls just blow with the wind and whatever comes up happens...I may see her again but I wont fret about it if I dont. Worst case I will end up going to her club and seeing her naked cuz I prob. wont outside of there.:)

I did have a real nice formal date with a sweet little honey Sat. night that went well and we are going out again this Friday. SHe is tiny and cute very soft spoken and all...Well pretty much opposites I think but we attract and she seems to really like me. I got a spy (her cousin, a friends wife) Hehehehe.
Yup Michele is 5'2" 105 lbs. Brunette with sky blue eye's she told she wears mostly size one clothes....
SO I got back into the gym last night finally! And working off this ex smokers weight. Sore as hell today but going back tonight.
Del, Do you see a pattern with all the girls I date..?They all are Brunettes at least, I like'em tall but I dont always get that wish.
And to top it all off guess who shows up at the dang gym last night while I am working out? My EX wife. :no My luck I did get a good laugh because her once size 5 ass is getting fat :laugh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts