TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for a run on bike start hearinga tapplng/rattle from front cylinder.time i got home noise bad when you come of throttle loud rattle/tapping noise not ass bad when in neutral. Removed cluch cassing and rocker cover cant see no damage to cam and no play on chain.
when bike is in neutral when reving most of the noise seems to be around the idle gear/sprocket and outlet cam area all front cylinder. cant ride bike the rattle/tapping is constant through all gears much worse when coming of throttle.

had a reply from the ring-in [stu] he thinks its ran a big end bearing.

if its big end bearings will their be any movement in conrod/piston and can I check before I have to split the head/case.

any more help and advice would be much appreciated.

ps. first posted this in help forum.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
remove the front plug and place a long screwdriver down the hole

remove the crank stator bung and rotate the crank at TDC and BDC and feel the piston movement with the screwdriver.

it will have a definite gap in it movement.

check the oil its usually looks like metallic paint.

if it is run I can supply undersize bearings or you can source a second hand crank

you need to have the rods resized too at an auto reconditioner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi stu will try that tomorrow.been around bikes 30yrs and have a god tls service manual.
Will put up new thread keep you posted.

cheers colin

·
Registered
13,114 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
And if the crank is hosed Robinson's are doing then for "only" 490 quid. Its one of the New old stock deals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked piston
for movement cant feel any front and back also checked oil clean.cassings and rokers r off every thing looks good and working
Will strip and split to check crank ass i cant think of anything else that could have made such a rattle/tapping noise.
All timing marks spot on.0
Keep yi posted.

Colin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok have stripped engine all cogs,cams,sprockets chains etc look good no play or damage.
But when i took of the primary drive sprocket their is side 2 side movement on crank maybe ½mil.
Engine still in frame of bike so crank still in casings.
Should there be side 2 side movement and that much?
No movement when sprocket is bolted back up tight.

Any help cheers colin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Out for a run on bike start hearinga tapplng/rattle from front cylinder.time i got home noise bad when you come of throttle loud rattle/tapping noise not ass bad when in neutral. Removed cluch cassing and rocker cover cant see no damage to cam and no play on chain.
when bike is in neutral when reving most of the noise seems to be around the idle gear/sprocket and outlet cam area all front cylinder. cant ride bike the rattle/tapping is constant through all gears much worse when coming of throttle.

had a reply from the ring-in [stu] he thinks its ran a big end bearing.

if its big end bearings will their be any movement in conrod/piston and can I check before I have to split the head/case.

any more help and advice would be much appreciated.

ps. first posted this in help forum.
Ok have stripped engine all cogs,cams,sprockets chains etc look good no play or damage.
But when i took of the primary drive sprocket their is side 2 side movement on crank maybe ½mil.
Engine still in frame of bike so crank still in casings.
Should there be side 2 side movement and that much?
No movement when sprocket is bolted back up tight.

Any help cheers colin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts