TLZone Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a mistake and over filled my bike with oil and it was smoking really bad out of the muffler cans and from under the bike and the joint of muffler cans to the mid pipe. So I drained some of the oil to the proper level I am still getting some smoke not as much as before but I am still getting smoke at the joints and out the cans. What can I do?..:confused :O :banghead

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Wait for it to burn out :dunno

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
What Steve said.

Here is one of my posts from a local site when someone did something similar...fwiw.... I put a felt pen line on the full mark on the window so you can see easily if it is below said mark.
One thing, (imo) do not be tempted to rev the crap out of the engine to burn it off,oil in the combustion chamber (4S) can cause detonation which is very hard on the conrod bearings.

Copy/paste
If the oil level was that high it may have been pushed from the sump past the rings and up into the combustion chamber.

You need to drain the excess oil as needed and set the level as per your owner or workshop manual.
You will soon know when you check the sparkplug.

Most bikes have a similar method... On the TL checking the level (before a ride) is run the engine for a minute or so,shut it down,leave it for a few minutes then check the site glass with the bike level.To much oil although not as bad as to low is still not a good thing when extreme.

Edit... I just had a flashback :laugh...... Papua New Guinea 1982..... We were running a bank of around 10 Lincoln 400 mobile welders...... The won toks on the service truck would add diesel and oil dayly..... there was one welder at the end which was not being used.It has a starter system where you cranked this handle on a thing which looked a bit like a normal starter motor.It actually had a big spring inside it.You wound the spring up via the handle then pulled a little lever which then released the spring turning/starting the diesel engine..Very simple.
So one day we go to use this welder... I do as above a few times but it will not start,it was quite sluggish...Things took a turn for the bizarre when oil started leaking out of the exhaust joint below the muffler which was above the engine !!!!
It turned out the service crew had been adding oil each day without checking the level not clicking to the fact it was not being used (full diesel tank?).... until the thing was near full of oil..Off to the main workshop it went.:doh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts