TLZone Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as most of you I will be unemployed soon. My own doing. December 8th. I can't wait in some respects.

Anyways, I had an interview today as a computer operator.

I don't know, the position is 365/7 days a week including Holidays. Night shift

Yes that means Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not sure if I can stomach the Holidays.

I would work Sunday - Thursday, off Thursday night and Friday, return to work Sunday morning.

It was interesting to tour the area with the servers. I could not miss any because If I did the other guy would have to work a second shift. I know I could do the job no problem, but it would be critical to be there and alert at all times.

My attendance record has not been great here so that alone may disqualify me from the position.

We will have to wait and see maybe they will give me a chance.

:cheers

·
Registered
5,698 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For that position basically, watch the servers, UPS, generator, Some unix stuff, and mainframe duties. Other than that on ocassion maybe bring up a down server but only if another University department asks you do.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll keep you guys posted, besides there's not much else to do anyways but type on here.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...good luck...

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
So the position isn't 365/7 it's 5-day weeks like everyone else but has to be staffed by someone 365/7 so no holidays.

Chasing tape mounts, loading paper into printers etc. isn't that bad. Not that much real responsibility or stress except after a power outage LOL. And for an operator position you're lucky to have a regular shift, bigger shops with bigger staffs often do weird things like 10-hour shifts 4 days on and 3 days off or 12-hour shifts 3-on/3-off or 4-on/5-off. You're lucky you can always have Fridays and Saturdays off.

But...does it pay? Good benefits? Long-term the problem is you're the extension of the computer, doing its bidding, meeting its physical demands. It demands a tape, you find it & mount it. Telling it what to do generally has a better payback eventually, and I mean programming and not just configuring/IPLing.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cycle I agree but I'm not into programming.

I do some scripting but very little. If I land the job it's a lateral move from my current position. This means my pay will stay the same, benefits stay the same. The best part would be I'll get get out from the nightmare I'm in with a fresh start in another department and continue to have a paycheck.

Right now though I'll have to wait it out and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sounds like a good option for the present, but you probably should think about something else to do long term. I suspect you'll be fed up with this one too before all that long. Perhaps learn .net sql server and stuff like that and then do sorta light programming or something:O

best of luck

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Good Luck Del :)

Sounds like a good way to get out of where you are, and then take stock and look for something if you want, whilst still getting a pay-check :O

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Programming is not for me I hate it. In fact Network Administrator is all I want to do. If not that, than nothing PC related.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I agree with the others, sounds like it might be a start to clear you from the current mess, but the schedule would get old.

Trust me, I worked shift work for 4 years at my last job. The absolute worse was the 10PM - 6AM with Sat and Sunday nights off. I felt like I was always at work and never could catch up on sleep.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
:devious

good luck del.
Now that cracked me up.. spose you have to know LOST

Sounds like a pretty hectic work schedule there DEL.
My wife started working 6 days a week only having fridays off. We thought it would be OK but its starting to take its toll on the family.

Good luck with your decision though.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
My wife started working 6 days a week only having fridays off. We thought it would be OK but its starting to take its toll on the family.

Good luck with your decision though.
Got to do what you got to do for mod money :laugh

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Got to do what you got to do for mod money :laugh
He's got to get another bike before he could mod it:laugh

Good luck with the new job Del.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
True no bike here. I live in central VA about and hour from Richmond and 1.5 hours from Northern VA or 2 hours from D.C.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts