TLZone Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
It all started when........ I put it back together it started up fine, clutch was working good until I was going about 50 mph and my motor locked up. I opened it up and noticed that my oil gear drive broke, I found the broken piece at the bottom of the oil pan, took it out, replaced the oil gear drive, put the clutch back together, ....... Tried starting it, it cranked over and over but wont start just back fires everytime ......
Rexx, A little history on the problem goes a long way when it comes to how we can help you address it. Thanks for posting the details of your dilemma. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound good. Now I understand why you were in search of a replacement engine.

I'm no expert on the mechanical aspects of these engines, but if the oil pump gear broke when you reinstalled the clutch basket (which can easily happen unless you're aware of the necessary alignment), then it wasn't pumping oil the entire time after the clutch installation.
Since the engine "locked up" at speed, my guess is that it seized from oil starvation. Either that, or the broken piece of gear got wedged into something temporarily. Either way, it seems to me that a complete inspection/overhaul of the engine is in order. 馃檨

So then, now we're back to finding a replacement engine.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
I figured, so tbh who knows what else can have gotten messed up when the oil gear drive broke? I really don't want to take it to a mechanic because I don't know a honest one, that's why I rather get a replacement and just have it swapped!

Premium Member
I think you don't really want to work on the bike just ride it.
Fair enough it just means you have to pay for it. Unless an engine comes with some sort of guarantee it might as well be a cheap one off eBay so choose well and good luck.
I'm off and away riding my bike for the next 5 days. No doubt I will read all about it when I get back.

Registered
San bernardino california
Is this the same dude i was talking with via offerup and text message? You're timing got jacked up from what i thought was the trsns letting go and sending a chunk someplace it doesn't belong there by locking the motor up snd now after replacing a split gear its a labored turn over? Is that you buddy?

Registered
Dude where's your hump at?! No wonder it doesn't run right.
How much you looking to spend on a motor? I might sell my motor.
Boy if it doesn't sound like a guy getting ready to sell a bridge for a buck. Depending on miles and what all comes on the engine $1000 give or take $300. I paid $850 for one with 19k miles on it with everything but the throttle bodies even still has the motor mounts. Plus the shipping is going to be insane.

Registered
Bridge for a Buck indeed.
Might want to look at this guys other posts before buying anything from him. Sounds like his motor might already be toast.

Cheers
Tom R

Registered
Bridge for a Buck indeed.
Might want to look at this guys other posts before buying anything from him. Sounds like his motor might already be toast.

Cheers
Tom R
Hey yeah thats the guy that did know where the valve guide came from that was mysteriously inside his front cylinder head. Then got snippy with everyone that offered advice. Hes an "askhole" you know thevtype they ask for advice then either do exactly what you told them not to do or they come back with a "they know better than you, been there dine that" attitude. Yeah dudes looking to rook somebody. Nice catch buddy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I got the bike to start guys, i tokk the throttle boddy off and cleaned it it had black gunk all inside, but now when jt turns on there this loud squeekin noise comin from the front, and its kinda knocking, and doesnt stay on for long, and white smoke comes out of the right exhaust

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Is this the same dude i was talking with via offerup and text message? You're timing got jacked up from what i thought was the trsns letting go and sending a chunk someplace it doesn't belong there by locking the motor up snd now after replacing a split gear its a labored turn over? Is that you buddy?
Yea its me bro

Registered
Sounds like piston rings and probably a whole host of other not so neat stuff. Congratulations you get to rebuild an engine. Hell you'll end up cheaper doing that in the long run. You buy an engine from someone theres no reason why that one wont let go on ya 3/4 of a season later. Then you got 2 engines to rebuild. Trust me i figured this out the hard way do you dont have to.

Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
I got the bike to start guys, i tokk the throttle boddy off and cleaned it it had black gunk all inside, but now when jt turns on there this loud squeekin noise comin from the front, and its kinda knocking, and doesnt stay on for long, and white smoke comes out of the right exhaust
Sounds like you have confirmed that it is siezed.

However, check with the experts before you dive into it. @Sam @The Ring-In

Registered
Thats part of the PAIR valve. There should be a "how to" on here on how to delete them. Not sure if they're necessary in cali or not tho. Id check on thst first.

Registered
There are usually at least a couple engines on eBay. Many come with some form of a warranty. I bought one for my bike a while back and the seller was close enough to be worth driving to pickup instead of shipping. If you do need to ship it though the costs in the US are not bad. Many of the sellers seem to be in Florida or on the West Coast, so you may find one out your way. I'd guess you can get on shipped cross country for under $300. Just check the listings. Some even have a video of the engine running.

I have noticed the prices are going up. I assume the supply of good used engines is dwindling.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts