TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any websites, or places in the socal area that sell motors for TLR? please help

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,276 Posts
Finding a TL engine usually comes down to closely watching eBay, Craigslist, and the For Sale forums here and on TLPlanet. You may have to buy a "parts bike" to obtain the engine from it.
Also check TL Facebook groups - the new home of most TL enthusiasts.....

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
is there not anyone on your side of the pond who would build one like Sam does?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
is there not anyone on your side of the pond who would build one like Sam does?
I'm sure there are competent builders in North America. However, finding one who possesses an affection for the TL community similar to Sam's would be a rare find indeed. 😉

And to ask someone to "build one like Sam does" might be setting the bar a little too high Ted. 😂

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
perhaps then there is a niche there. One or two competent persons to build a TLS and a TLR engine and tuck them away for times like this when a sale or part exchange would be greeted with joy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't even find a solid mechanic that's willing to work on my tlr pretty ****en sad

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I can't even find a solid mechanic that's willing to work on my tlr....
I wonder if they would have the same attitude toward a Suzuki DL...

Where do you reside Rexx? There might be another member in the area who can recommend something.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
do you not have a Suzuki Owners Club out there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know why my bike moves when I try to start it in first gear, and when it's off and in gear and the clutch enganged it's really difficult to roll, isn't it suppose to feel like it's in neautral when ur in gear with the clutch in?

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
clutch not fully disengaging. Do you have a TLS or a TLR? Do you have a cable clutch or a hydraulic one?

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
So are you looking for a replacement engine or is this one of the issues you have with it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's an issue I'm having with it, it doesn't want to start, I really don't know what's wrong with it and I can't find no mechanics out here to fix it so I'm just thinking about getting a new motor

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
On this page,

Numbers 19 through to 30 are the usual suspects.
The clutch slave cylinder and pushrod sit directly in front of the front sprocket so always collect a lot of oil, grease, dirt and crap. Take off the sprocket cover and slave cylinder assembly and clean it all up.
The push rod can get gummed up and/or corroded, the slave piston needs cleaning out and refurbishing as can the master at the handlebar.
You might need to flush through with new fluid or even replace the hose with a new braided item.

have you downloaded the workshop manual from Steve's site? ............... here .............

better than spending $50 on a paper copy - it's free! Then you can print out the part you are working on, keep it to gradually build up a complete copy or throw it away if it gets too dirty.
I would recommend also purchasing a Haynes manual too as the workshop manual assumes a certain level of knowledge.

The microfiche pages are good to, they show you where things are and how they match up with each other.

With these, a little effort and help from this site you can do the servicing to your bike yourself, save some money then for the bigger jobs that you don't really want to tackle.
You can also make requests on this site for people to do the work for you, as a friend, not as someone to sue if it goes a little pear shaped!
Also join TLPlanet.com as the same request can be made there.

You can search the members lists to see who lives near you and send them a Private Message to see if they can help as well. (Quite time consuming but worth it)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My main concern to be honest is my bike having a hard time starting... FML I just want to get to riding already lol

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
My main concern to be honest is my bike having a hard time starting...
Rexx, apparently, you are new to the World of TL. How did you end up with a TL that is hard to start (a common problem, BTW)?
Please give us some history on it.
How long have you owned it?
What have you done to address the problem so far?
When did it last run?
What type of throttle response does it have when it is running?
etc...

Since the problem you are encountering is "hard to start," simply "replacing the engine" is premature. Plus, there is no guarantee that a replacement engine would be any better - because the issue may be caused by the electrical or fuel delivery systems.

There are a number of things that can cause a TL to be difficult to start. If the bike is new to you, it may have more than one issue, or it may be just old fouled spark plugs.

You will need to go through it in a methodical manner to determine what is wrong with it, and we can help you do that. However, if turning wrenches is not your 'cup of tea,' then you may want to reconsider owning a TL. They can be a little temperamental, but once you figure out the issues/quirks, they are a very reliable and enjoyable mode of transportation.

As Ted mentioned, if you are up for the challenge, you will need basic mechanic's tools, the service manual, and patience....... and a willingness to read trough old threads that have discussed this issue extensively.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It all started when I changed the clutch, but like a rookie I forgot to put in the wave seat washer back, without knowing. I put it back together it started up fine, clutch was working good until I was going about 50 mph and my motor locked up. I opened it up and noticed that my oil gear drive broke, I found the broken piece at the bottom of the oil pan, took it out, replaced the oil gear drive, put the clutch back together, not forgetting the washer seat, and wave washer this time. Put everythi ng else back together. Tried starting it, it cranked over and over but wont start just back fires everytime I give it some throttle. It also drains the battery fairy quickly after trying to start it about 3 or 4 times.. I pretty much ****ed it up! Now I don't know what can be the problem! That's why I rather just buy a new motor cuz I don't have the patience to work on it. Tbh!! Yess I know I'm a dumb ****k!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bike was running good other than clutch would slip when I would wot it, simple change of clutch springs and plates would of fixed the problem but like u said I'm new to this, I was inpatient to put it back together and ride and now I fckn regret not being patient and actually reading the service manual

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
Starting problem like that can be as simple to fix as getting the vacuum tubes round the right way. Also these bikes do tend to foul up the plugs when they don't start immediately.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts