TLZone Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

:devious :devious :devious

2001 Suzuki DRZ400S with all the work needed already done.

Only 2400 miles, picked it up for 2250. Can't wait to go get her. :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sweet:thumbup

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Fill us in on "all the work already done". The work is never done on a DRZ. They are as bad for modaholics as the TL :laugh

I would put some fork boots or a KTM guard setup on the front end though. You want to protect those tender tubes :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Renthal bars, full pro circuit exhaust, pegs, the stock heavy lights have been replaced with a ufo set.

My only planned mods for it are some guards, the fork boots, and possibly a second set of wheels from the DRZ400SM to do some motardin' with.

I was also considering swapping out the ugly headlight with an acerbis cyclops. Probably going to paint it black and a neon yellow or green...

Ugh, duken you are right, the mods will never end on this thing :)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
2250?? mighty fine pick up sir :thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sounds like its got some nice mods:thumbup

FYI ya don't paint dirt bikes, it just doesn't work. You can buy plastic in other colors if you want though.

have fun

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BikePilot said:
Sounds like its got some nice mods:thumbup

FYI ya don't paint dirt bikes, it just doesn't work. You can buy plastic in other colors if you want though.

have fun
Thanks for the tip :thumbup I'm new to this whole dirt bike thing so there's still a lot for me to learn.

·
5,503 Posts
It has a pipe eh? Good. You would be amazed what dropping a Hotcams intake cam ($175) and a Dynojet kit ($65 or so) in the carb will do for it. An 39mm FCR carb kit ($500) will do more if ya want to spend your savings! The cam and jet kit really are worth it, expecially if you ride it off road. The mid range snap increases dramatically :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Spektrum-SA1 said:
Thanks for the tip :thumbup I'm new to this whole dirt bike thing so there's still a lot for me to learn.
no problem, where in VA are you? I ride at the GW National forrest near taskers gap somewhat often. I'd be glad to show you around the area:devious

I'd be looking for a plastic tank for it as a first mod myself:thumbup

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in the eastern part of the state in Yorktown, about an hour east of Richmond.

Getting together to ride would be great. I planned on doing most of my riding in the north and western part of the state anyway.

Plastic gas tank? sounds kinda dangerous, lol. Is it for inceased capacity?

·
5,503 Posts
You can increase the capacity with a plastic tank, although the CV carb equipped DRZ will go pretty darn far on the stock tank. I have a 3.2 gal IMS tank on mine, running out of gas is not a concern. I have been in the position to give gas to small tanked people who ran dry though :laugh

The main reason for plastic other than changing your capacity is no dents. They are a tad lighter than steel tanks too.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Spektrum-SA1 said:
I live in the eastern part of the state in Yorktown, about an hour east of Richmond.

Getting together to ride would be great. I planned on doing most of my riding in the north and western part of the state anyway.

Plastic gas tank? sounds kinda dangerous, lol. Is it for inceased capacity?
Cool. GW would be a bit of a drive, but not terrible for you.

A plastic tank is quite safe imho, probably less likely to rupture than a steel one (they are super tough, I've taken a handlebar from another bike directly into the side of one in a 50+ bike pile up (stupid 120 rider starts:rant) and amazingly it didn't hurt it at all).

The main reason I like plastic tanks is because they don't dent/leak when you crash, at least not nearly as often as steel tanks. They also feel much better when you squeeze them between your knees (a normal and necessary part of dirt riding) - I find I can grip a plastic tank better as I can squash it in just a bit.

And like duken said, you can get them in any size you want which can be a big plus.

Lastly, they are lighter weight which is also always a good thing:thumbup

I'll probably go for a two-day ride (camp over night) sometime in mid-october. I'll post up before I do - your more than welcome to come along.

have fun

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
nice going but U know that the B/W are slower :devious

have fun :thumbup

G

·
Nice score. :)

BikePilot and Duken are the local dirtbike databases here :) :hail

Oh, yeah, plastic tanks rule :yes
All MX bikes have plastic tanks, for all the reasons already mentioned. More durable, and more "squish-able" (better feel) :)
Biggest drawback is that they are (almost) impossible to paint with a good result. Really "oily" plastic that dont accept paint so good.
Anyway, a seethrough is the best, then you dont have to walk to long when you run out of fuel (as in you see easier how low you are and head back sooner... I dont have a see through tank... ;) :laugh )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts