TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, The old girl let me down yesterday (the TLR, not Mrs Acid Bob). The bikes been parked up since my run to the Farmyard Rally and had been running perfectly fine. But when I got it out yesterday morning and hit the start button, the starter motor didnt sound right and it wouldnt start. It was cranking the motor over but not quickly enough. The starter was going quickly but sounded like it was slipping and not cranking the motor over properly? Any ideas whats wrong or where I should start looking?

All this was most embarrassing, as it happened in from of my mate Simon who was on his predestine restored 750 Kettle. However he did point out I was lucky it happened on my drive and not when we were rampaging round Germany.:)

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
weak battery

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what, I think that battery's 6 years old, I remember it was the first thing I changed when I got the bike all the years ago. I'll stick it on my Optimate and see what it looks like.

Cheers, bob

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got round to fitting a new battery yesterday (i've been busy...) and the bike still wont start. The starter motors still making a high pitched skidding sound and the motors barely cranking over. Guess the next steps to pull the starter motor off the bike, can anyone tell me what I need to be looking for and what my options are for getting it fixed????? I've not had very much to do with them before. Any help much appreciated..

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lean the bike against a wall so you can remove the generator side cover without the oil pouring out of the engine.
The starter motor shaft engages in a torque limiter (small clutch) and then transfers to a gear which meshes with a one way clutch bearing / gear behind the generator flywheel.
I think your issue is going to be with the torque limiter.
PM me your email and I'll send you the TLR service manual.
I have any parts you need here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the bike going this afternoon, after fitting another starter motor I got hold of. The original starter motor was showing a lot of wear and discoloration on the commutator, which might have been why it wasn't performing properly, even with a new battery fitted.
Many thanks Fruitbat, for sending the service manual and I'll be in touch if it starts to play up again (fingers crossed its sorted).

Cheers, Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts