TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've recently bought a 99 tlr, and thinking about replacing the agm battery with a lithium battery.
Apart from the lithium charger, are there any issues that I should be aware of. The bike starts and runs lovely, no issues with charging, but I am interested in saving weight where possible( within a budget).
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Honestly, in my opinion, if it's functioning correctly I would not replace it. The weight savings is something, but the cost for that savings is going to be quite a bit. I would save your money on that and look at some other mods you may want to or have to do. To answer the question though, there are no issues going to a lithium battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. Lithium batteries must be costly over there, we can get quality ones here for less than £75 ($100). That's a great weight saving for a relatively small outlay.
Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I'd recommend you spend the money and buy a Shorai. Stupid money but brilliant. If you think your bike starts well with a regular battery you'll be amazed at what the lithium does. I have used a cheaper version but it didn't last. My Shorai is a good few years old now (archives here can tell you when I put it in), mostly charged with either the bike's charging system (unmodified) or my standard Optimate and it has never had a problem. Like all lithiums it can get a bit sluggish for the first push of the button in cold weather but if you know why it does it then this is not a surprise.

My Shorai has even recovered from being allowed to go dead flat a couple of times which is not recommended for lithiums. They have some internal circuitry which helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info, thanks. I'm looking at Shido. They seem to be good quality at a good price. And they are a direct fit. I'd appreciate any views on them before I buy.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I think the Shido is the cheaper one I had. TBF I bought it because I thought the Shorai was on the way out when in fact it was the reg/rec. The knackered R/R might have fried the Shido since after I replaced the R/R it didn't seem to be able to supply enough current to start the bike properly. I put the Shorai back in and everything was sweet thereafter.

As I recall the Shido was about 1/3 the price of the Shorai and I didn't get my money's worth out of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good to know. I'd have been very worried if I'd bought a brand new battery that "failed " the first time I tried it in the cold. None of my toys will be out in that weather though, they can stay in the heated garage where its toasty warm. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've bought a shido lithium battery. It was £67. It weighs 756g compared to the old battery which weighs 3002g. Time will tell if you all have a jolly good laugh at my foolishness, or if I've made a brilliant decision. I'll keep you posted. (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts