TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what most of you will say but that's it for me freak them.

I'll not ever stop again. Installing the fast tag mount.

I know many here are officers and all I can say just like the bikers give us a bad name, there are officers that give you a bad name.

Story,

Traveling very low speeds in first gear. The bike is not running right, stop in go traffic. I have to keep it rived to stay running. The light changes. The Leo is facing the opposite direction to the way I'm going. Traffic is stop and go but plenty of room for a bike to ride down along the side to bail. What I do, I did what a law abiding citizen would do. I stay in stop and go traffic. Sirens are hit. I know damn well that the LEO has turn around and come to pull me over. Why? Since the bike was not running right I gave it too much gas and snap out the clutch in first gear. It pops the wheel up. The sirens are on. I sit in traffic thinking maybe he will listen to me explain what happened. :banghead

Mistake number two.

The bike cuts off while he’s yelling at me to pull over I'm sitting there in traffic. I try to start the bike it turns over, it does not crank, I try again, same outcome.

I roll it over to the side of the road he jumps out and ask for license and reg. I have both. I asked him if I could explain what happened and tell him if I had meant to do it why would I sit in traffic waiting for him to pull me over?

They called it a wheelie. I laughed and sad you obviously don't know what a wheelie is because that was a mistake. A wheelie I would only do in no traffic situations. I definitely would lot lope the front wheel on purpose in traffic.

COP "License and registration"

me alright May I remove my helmet and gloves to get them sir.

I hand over the license and reg and try to explain what happen so he says he going to impound the bike. WTF

COP:
Bike is not running right I’ll impound it.

If you would listen I can explain it
I say it's likely a bad connection and now I know something is wrong I can fix it.

He give me a ticket for "reckless driving, improper control”

Me: I replied if you would just listen as to why it occurred and not be a DICK you will understand why it happened

Mistake number three calling the cop a DICK

Cop:

He insists to impound the bike. I calm done and started addressing him by Lieutenant since he was.

cop: I have not given a ticket in ten years

Me: Really, yet you picked a biker to give it too. Seriously officer by the time you turn around I could have been gone if I was not a law abiding citizen so this is my reward for not running. Thanks sir.

I darn sure know what I'll do next time under the same circumstances.

Cop: I'm calling a wrecker to impound your bike.

Me

Students can walk up and down this street publicly intoxicated and you would do nothing, except give them a safe ride home. A local law abiding citizen whom accidentally brings the front wheel off the ground get's a reckless driving ticket

Tell me Lieutenant, where is the justice in that?

I can fix the bike. He wants to hear it run I cleaned the connection under the seat with my key.

Me:

I don’t carry a pocket knife “Good thing, I suppose or I would be charged with assault with a weapon”

I shooked his hand with a firm grip and replied I’ll be seeing you.

Cop: What does that suppose to mean

Me: I’ll see you in court sir. Perhaps the judge will have some compassion for law abiding citizens.

This site has almost convinced me that leo’s are compassionate. In the last year twice I was not doing much wrong and trice I got a ticket. They hate bikes, so now on I’m not being nice. Don’t even try to convince me a cop is fair.

If the justice system works this will be tossed out but if not they have alienated another biker.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
yep, i'd fight that one.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Just remember.. there is two sides to every story..... I dont think its the bikers that have given us a bad name.. its the squids on sport bikes that run from the cops, and do stunts that give us the bad name....

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I probably over reacted a bit but still if he would have listen I think we could have been civil.

It could have been worst. He could have continued to be a DICK and impounded the bike.

I was pissed. It's not easy for me to get my temper under control once I flare up.

I did the best I could. I do regret calling him a name that will likely be what the judge hears and enforces the ticket. Oh well.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
power corrupts, ultimate power corrupts ultimatly.....

as we as a socity call on law enforcement to do more and more..... they demand more and more power...... and are ultimatly more corrupt.

LEO's have the highest rate of suicide and devorce as opposed to any other profession, even movie stars and politicians....

it takes a very strong person to be given the ability to be right all the time, not to abuse it, I know if I were king, I'd abuse it.... I don't want to be king because of that.

oh and carry one of those disposable cameras, that way you can take pictures of the bike before the impound and have them pay for any dammage to the bike done by the tow or at the impound lot.

tell the judge, but the kind of bike you ride is strike one, calling the cop a dick (though totally deserved) is strike two....

the pitch is on the way, low and inside.

·
Registered
148 Posts
FTP

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sorry del but I'm sure this cop has heard ye ole "that wheelie was an accident sir". Not that I'm saying the wheelie you pulled was intentional. I'm sure it WAS an accident. But, if there's one thing I've learned when it comes to cops. Be courteous and when that ask you a question give them straight answers. No "if's, and's or "but's" And don't try to bullshit them(which is what this guy thought you were trying to do). And the fact that you try to point out to him that you could've run but decided to pull over. Well, I think that sounds a bit arrogant for anyone to say to any cop. It just sounds like you're saying, "hey, I did you a favor you asshole in a hat!! Now **** off and let me go about my business trying to fix my bike and use the public streets as my personal test track."

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...Del, just tell the whole story to the judge (including why you called the police man a "dick" before the cop can testify) so your story will carry more wieght to it...(usually works for me)...good luck.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
del. quit now, they will win. He could have towed your bike with a Wrecker and ****ed it up. Just relax, and try to avoid it in the future. Write it off as a Kharma equalizer. Something you did bad ont he scooter and got away with just got evened out. Bad luck.

But I promise you when you implied running would have been smarter, you were screwed, you guaranteed his court appearance when you called him a Dick, and he probably has audio and video. Pay the fine, learn the lesson. Life ain't fair, neither are the police. Life is hard, enjoy the ones you get away with.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know, I'll keep postponing it until they make me show up in court.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Unbelievable ... what goes through these peoples minds when they do stuff like that? Are they getting some sort of power-trip thrill or are they really stupid enough to believe that they're doing a good job of ensuring justice is done & law & order is upheld?

Bad luck del ... :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've defenitly had my share of run-ins with Police Officers, All in all I found out two things, (1) if your nice to the Officer regaurdless of guilt they will be nice in return, maybe not right away but by the end of your incounter they will. (2) you will never win againts a Officer, the judge alway's sides with the Officer reguardless of guilt. I know this personaly.
Keep postponing it and maybe if your lucky when you appear in court fight it and hopfuly the Officer doesn't show to court that day.
Good Luck and I'm sorry to hear about your un-pleasent experiance.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's my plan of attack exactly as you stated above.

I was nice until I he threaten to impound it, that's when I lost my cool,

Oh well... like Doug says. I've been lucky in the past but this was not much of an incident to get a wreckless for. Time will tell.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Sorry to hear about your run in.

Imagine for a moment you are a cop (I know it is hard to do). Imagine numbnut squids going by you on one wheel at 100 mph in a residental area on regular basis. Perhaps you have seen an accident or three where innocent motorists were injured by squids on fast bikes.

When I used to live in California, the CHP had a complete hard on for busting sport bikes. People threw themselves off the canyon roads and had to be life flighted on a regular basis. I have told the story on here before about the cop who called me a "scum bag" sport bike rider after pulling me over. I laid some financial info on him and basically filled him in on the fact that I could buy and sell him 3 times over. So I was an arrogant prick instead of a scum bag he accused me of being :laugh

Anyway, try not to take this personally. The cop probably is not all that bad a guy. He has simply got a major negative bias against sport bikes. As a community, we gave him ample reason to feel that way. It is the price we pay for the sins of the squid.

My attitude toward tickets is that they are an occasional expense, like gas and tires. Hopefully you can plead it down from wreckless to speeding or something. That worked for me last time I pulled a wheelie in traffic. Unlike your case, my wheelie was intentional and it was a good long one :devious

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well, there ae a lot of "dirt bag" Police Officers. Just like any other job. Having worked for a City for 30+ years I worked with a lot of Officers, and I still know a lot of them, and there are definitely jerks among them, along with the really good ones.
I've always listed officers in pretty much 3 classes. First class the "dirt bag" class the guys that are just in it because they have an authority issue. Second Class, the regular upstanding guys that are there to do a job, and are pretty even keeled. Third class, the guys that actually want to make a difference, help, and make a positive effect in all they do.
I've dealt with all 3, thankfully most that I've run into are in the second and third class.

He was going to have your bike impounded?...............I'd find out how many cars they impound because they aren't running right, and use that as ammo when you go to court........I've never ever heard that one before. I have however run into worse examples of the "men in blue"

Regards Sonny

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Ya Sonny, that sound about right to me.

Funny cop story. Years ago, my friend had a "Question Authority" sticker on his VW bus. A cop pulled him over and peeled the sticker off the window. When my buddy protested, he wound up face down with his hands behind his back. Nice example of protecting and serving going on there.

My approach is pretty lame, but my theory is you can't butt heads with these people. The best you can hope for is to slide by under their radar, so they can harass someone else like Del here :banghead

1 - 20 of 27 Posts