TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some will recall, I've been on the hunt for a bit for a bike and the first one I checked out was local (an hour and a half drive) but the guy wanted too much for it.

I've been checking out bikes on SMJ and the prices were right but most were WAY too far away to justify... then there was the issue of getting it across the border to Canada which added taxes and import fees (a further 6% tax and $220). I lost out on a great bike just last week to me procrastinating on the fees.

Anyway, the owner of the original bike I checked out has just emailed me as his current deal fell through. His original price was $6650 CDN, when I checked it out he was willing to take $6000, I walked away. Through several emails I ended up offering $5400 (was going to be $5500 but the rear tire is squared off and done), he walked away. Now, after his deal fell through, he's willing to do $5500 ($4762 US) for an 05 that's bone stock (even the tires) with 5000 k's (3106 miles) and very clean.

This is likely my new bike;

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Looks good! do it!

you'll love it!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only hold back is the low HP numbers of the DR-Z but I love everything else about it; looks, reliability, flexibility, after-market, etc. The lack of HP is further felt as a friend is looking at a *cough* Yamaha YZ450F with it's 45 HP.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sweet:thumbup

If you want a low maintence street tard with more hp look at an SM610 - its at least as reliable as the DRZ imho, same weight more power and an extra gear. It does cost a bit more and will be harder to find though.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Congrats Coyo.... really a nice looking bike.... Enjoy :thumbup

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the low HP numbers, they dont tell the whole story. they typically get 33-35 hp to the wheel. I'm at 5300' so I likely get less and I have not complaints. If you're wanting break neck speeds you'll be disappointed, but if you just want a very capable hooligan bike you cant go wrong. Just know that they SUCK for extended highway use, but are an absolute ball in the twisties and in the city. If you typically ride more than 100 miles at a time you'll hate a motard, but if you just want something to rip it up, and have a blast you cant go wrong! To me, its the PERFECT second bike to have in the garage!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
snip...but if you just want a very capable hooligan bike you cant go wrong. Just know that they SUCK for extended highway use, but are an absolute ball in the twisties and in the city...snip...To me, its the PERFECT second bike to have in the garage!
And here we have the reason for the purchase... I can't wait to park it next to the TL.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
:drool

I'm jealous...a TLS and a DRZ-SM...you lucky bastard!

I love my DRZ, but often wish for a more comfy, highway friendly companion

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I rode Zelig's DRZ and was pleasently suprised. It was a tad wobbly at 90 on the freeway acting like a total hooligan zipping in and out of traffic like I so often scorn other riders for doing. Of course it's not a fair comparison as Zelig's bike has been massaged slightly as it was previously owned by our mad modder.

However it was a hoot and you'll enjoy it I'm sure, especially as a second bike. Just beware, those things tempt you to act in totally illegal and squidly activities. :)

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
:megaphone GO AND GET IT

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
DR-Z's Rock! Woo Hoo.......only thing better would be an APrilia SXV 4.5!

Here is Zelig's DR-Z before "adopted" it......:lol

·
Registered
909 Posts
Don't worry about hp. Doug kicked our asses on the street and track with that "underpowered" bike. The DRZ kicks total ass!

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
DR-Z's Rock! Woo Hoo.......only thing better would be an APrilia SXV 4.5!
That's an interesting comment. You telling me the DRZ was better than the KTM 525 SMR? :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sweet:thumbup

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Got get it. It is fun to mod these things. When funds permit, put a Yosh full system on it and an FCR carb. It will have enough power and the bike sounds sweet with the pipe on it. Gotta love the bark of a thumper with a pipe on it :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts