TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered what I thought were 2 LED bulbs for the front. Turns out they don't come in pairs. I ordered the other one today. I think it looks great. Bright enough to ride at night and for other drivers to see you if they don't hear you coming. What do you think? If both lights werent on all the time, I would of just kept it as the high beam or vice versa. Over all I like it. I always have trouble seeing at night. Opinions?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well I think you need to tell us which one's you bought cause there's a lot out there.

And show the beam pattern on a wall a few feet away and or show while driving...

All LED's make the bike look better from the front :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Low beam
high beam. This is only with one bulb installed. If people can see me then they are legitimately blind. You can't even tell there is an original bulb installed on the right still. Very impressive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Having tried it once on a wall in my room (with cheap LED's) I have a suspicion that our (TL) reflectors possibly can accommodate LED's beam pattern well.

But could you, and have you optimized them ?
I mean could you twist and turn the LED inside and then lock it in the best position ?

(You need a clean flat wall to do this).

Looking at the pictures of the bulb I can see the allen bolt to accomplish this task is there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I haven't made any adjustments yet. I am waiting for the other bulb to come in the mail. It should be here either Monday or Tuesday. I also ordered new bar ends. It should be on the road this week. It's been a long process with the dmv due to the covid 19 epidemic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice looking headlights, would love to swap to LED myself but being European I've got the headlight assembly with H1 bulbs, not H4.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice looking headlights, would love to swap to LED myself but being European I've got the headlight assembly with H1 bulbs, not H4.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looking good, and like they might fit. Have you tried these yourself?
These 8-sides 360° are the only good choice for projector style lights right now !
I did not use them, but I would, if I did not have to watch my expenses right now.
I have projector HID's right now, one side is maybe going bad, I would test it on one side.
They have a chance of being equal or possibly surpassing my HID's.
But like I said there are no other led's that would work right now.

Remember they are sold in pairs, and I believe you only need one.
But the price is cheap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I received my other light today and installed it. I must say I really love the look of these over the original halogens. I just need to wait until it's dark and adjust them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhh yes that did explain a lot. I will have to look at mine on Monday but I think I am pretty close.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
There's more to it than the video clip above shows. The regular halogen filament is a particular type of point source illumination. A LOT of LEDs don't produce the same kind of point source so in effect the reflector surfaces in a TL headlight don't focus the light in the correct way. Common problems include main beam aiming high, diffuse beam patterns, light and dark pools in the beam patterns. I've been through several iterations of LEDs trying to find an optimal replacement. I'm currently running something that looks physically similar to this (can't find the exact version I have right now) and they are pretty good.

I still think there may be room for improvement but they are streets ahead of the stock halogens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the information. This site is a wealth of knowledge. It rocks 👍👍

·
Registered
226 Posts
Will do man. I got these.. XK Glow LED H4 Headlight Bulb - XK045002-M-H4 Dirt Bike Motorcycle Goldwing Snowmobile | Dennis Kirk

The other one will be here on Wednesday. Sorry for leaving out the details. I will get pictures of the beam pattern. From what I can tell even in broad day light, it looks wider. I want to go out tonight and see what it looks like. They are very bright. I like them a lot.

I don't know why I did not pay attention more to the photo, probably because I got used to search for D2S...

Can you take a photo of your actual LED as your link might be a generic photo.

IMO H4 led's should have 2 cluster, at the exact place of the original H4 filaments.
For obvious high low operation.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
What's the beam pattern on the road like? These head-on camera pics don't really tell you anything except the light output is much greater than a halogen.Its as important that you know where the light ends up. Another interesting thing about LEDs is that the source is actually blue. They just run it through a yellow filter to make it look white. The human eye is less sensitive to the blue end of the spectrum so in some ways the old candle-powered halogens which operate closer to the red end can be more effective. The whole aspect of perceived brightness vs the actual luminous flux density is quite a complex topic. You can put out all the energy you want but if the eye can't perceive most of it then it is wasted effort. Academic considerations aside, if you get the right lamps into a suitable housing the difference can be spectacular.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts