TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new 'custom' leather suit from www.motogearusa.com. It's definitely top notch kit...But...

For you track gurus: How long does it typically take for you to break in your new leathers?

I tried it on last night and the fit was snug to say the least.

I took the suit for its first ride and all I can say is that I'm HIGHLY disappointed.

The legs bunch up under my knees almost to the point that my circulation is cut off to my feet. And the junction between my pectoral and bicep is pretty tight.

I know that you want leathers to be snug - but it just seems excessively uncomfortable in two or three areas.

The obvious thing is to contact the manufacturer - which is what I intend on doing - I just wanted to get your opinions on how long I should give the suit to break in before sending it back for alterations.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Wow, you definately shouldn't get the bunching behind the knees. That's pretty bad.

So far as breaking them in. Find time when you've got the house to yourself so that your the only one who knows what a dork you are, and then spend some time just wearing the suit. You know, watching TV, posting on TLZone, etc. It's not the riding position per say, but it'll stretch it out a little bit and get it to fit you better.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
my suit was the same Jim. It killed the back of my knees, but it fits perfect now, just a little tight around the neck where the zipper is. To be honest, what made the biggest difference was getting caught out in the rain on a ride :laugh

it was just enought to get damp, not soaked, but the leather really loosened up nicely. 2 of my buddies got some dianese suits and they had the same issue. they couldn't put them on without some help. one just wore it aroudn and did some squats to loosen up the knees, and the other used a bunch of leather conditioner for baseball gloves. his suit was black, so its hard to say if it discolored it.

just wear it 5-6 times and it'll loosen up and you'll love it

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MrTucker said:
my suit was the same Jim. It killed the back of my knees, but it fits perfect now,

just wear it 5-6 times and it'll loosen up and you'll love it
Oh - you have no idea how much I wanted to hear that!!! :) :hail :laugh

And do you guys slide around on the seat a LOT more with the leather than with say - textile pants or jeans?

·
14,150 Posts
Oh yea, you can move around much easier in leather.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Jim said:
Oh - you have no idea how much I wanted to hear that!!! :) :hail :laugh
I was in your shoes too. I just shelled out $600 for a $1300 suit and after 5 mins of wearing it I was hurting and taking it off. My suit may be different tho. It's a Teknic and I cant remember the model, but it has internal soft knee pads and external carbon fibre knee protection and I took out the internal stuff to get some comfor, but it eventually loosened up enought to get the soft pads in, but they arent needed, and I've worn it less than 15-20 times

and it looks like yours is made of cow hide, which does stretch out...at least all of my cowhide leathers have

Jim said:
And do you guys slide around on the seat a LOT more with the leather than with say - textile pants or jeans?
YES! that was the first thing I noticed. I threw a leg over and damn near slide right off the other side :laugh

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
yep, it will fit you, just needs some sweat and you to wear them.

I had my DVX pants hangin in the closet, figured I should wear them and break them in , or at least get used to what they feel like before I hit the track (when ever that will be)

first 3 times I thought I would NEVER get used to them, or that they would quit pinching my ankles, bunching behind the knees and ticking me off...

two weeks later... oh babay, they are like "budda". they totally fit now, perfect in the knees, perfect at the ankles...

just wear them in the shower once and then mow the lawn in them.... they will fit perfectly.

·
14,150 Posts
Rifleman said:
just wear them in the shower once and then mow the lawn in them.... they will fit perfectly.
If we did that in Texas in the summer that would make for an interesting police report. Man died from heat stroke found on front lawn dressed in leather suit with lawn mower.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
gixxerjasen said:
If we did that in Texas in the summer that would make for an interesting police report. Man died from heat stroke found on front lawn dressed in leather suit with lawn mower.
Yeah, well that's what you get for livin in "Texazz" I thought it was frickin hot in Chi town, but holy butt blisters batman, we get like 3-4 days of 100+ temps a year, you get 3-4 months.:dowhat

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I love to break in my suits by doing a variety of activites around the house.

Like Meditation

Dancing

Housing Keeping

bombing

Interweb

Gaming

Pet Keeper

Biking

going up

going down

Cardio

Working out

See you can make the most out of your $1000 suit and not just look good riding.
(not my pics but from a past post a while ago.. way too funny)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
:rotfl Awesome reply! You made my morning

dsly1 said:
I love to break in my suits by doing a variety of activites around the house.

Like Meditation

Dancing

Housing Keeping

bombing

Interweb

Gaming

Pet Keeper

Biking

going up

going down

Cardio

Working out

See you can make the most out of your $1000 suit and not just look good riding.
(not my pics but from a past post a while ago.. way too funny)

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Get wet in the shower and go ride. Wear old shirt and whatever under to throw away later and let the die bleed out. Ride until dry and treat with saddle soap.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
My leathers are still snug? I've worn them more than a dozen times :dunno (more than a dozen years)

:laugh

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Steve TLS said:
My leathers are still snug? I've worn them more than a dozen times :dunno (more than a dozen years)

:laugh
...cut down on the scotch, ----- and smokes and they'll loosen up a bit:laugh

·
14,150 Posts
My leathers are always tighter in the spring and loosen up as the summer progresses. I also eat pretty well over the holidays. Coincidence? :O

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
bx-459 said:
...cut down on the scotch, ----- and smokes and they'll loosen up a bit:laugh
Cutting down on the smokes will probably make them even more snug. :laugh

24 years, 20 - 25 smokes a day - 1 week and two days without one now.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
fengler said:
jump in the shower with it real quick, get out and just wear it around the house.
+1 .. I did that with mine. Also get some dubbing rubbed into the knee area after you wet them. It really soften's up the leather. Worst part of getting mine to fit was the crotch area .. Really tight & restricting. I know exactly what 'Lift & seperate' means !!

:hail TLR's

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Lots of leather conditioner. Wear em when you watch tv. Seriously. Flex, bend,sit stand. Move around and just suffer. First couple rides that you sweat, the dye will destroy your clothes. Wear yard work clothes.

They will stretch, just dont give up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts