TLZone Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not talking about the sheets either :banghead
Went out this morning to ride to work & there was a drop oil gas hanging off the bottom edge of the gas tank & the top of the fairing was obviously dripped on. So I guess the fuel pump gasket has gone again?
I'll do a search for it of course but it was replaced when I bought the back - less than 2 years ago. Why would it go again so soon??

Also, on the other side is an old stain I'd like to get rid off too :rant the bike shop thoughtfully cleaned my bike & then this stain appeared :banghead I've tried cleaning it with the usual suspects but nothing seems to make a difference. I haven't tried any 'cutting' type compounds yet though. Isn't the frame coated with something?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No but I will now I got some in ... we use kero for heating over here :eek

Also been reading other threads - the two times I've noticed the leaks have been cold ass nights ... cold = brittle so I guess the gasket is shot. But if I replace the gasket AND the blue stripe sticker ... what's to stop it doing it again later & buggering another sticker? Bah ...

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh wow how about that - exactly a year since the gasket failed :banghead I got another leak running down the side of the bike - fuel tank gasket has failed again. Thankfully I've procrastinated long enough that I hadn't replaced the blue stripe yet ...

Seriously - I'm not going to do this every bloody year eh :rant

Got me wondering though ... for the past two months or so, I've been using hi-octane 96 instead of regular 91 - just like I did last year before it went. Coincidence? Or something in the gas that the gasket doesn't like?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've always run mine on "Hi-Octane" thats what the sticker on my tank said to do, and noone in Japan has ever given me a comprehensive explanation of what their octane ratings at pump are. RB gave me different answers each time I checked. Back home I'm sure regular (91) would be OK.

Having said that, 2 years on high-oku hasnt given me any grief. Oh, and my RGV had those stains and it always ran on Regular.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine was the same with the stain down the frame and on the plastics, It took the shop a while to sort it out but it did turn out to be the oblong gasket on the bottom of the tank, I dont know if thats where the fuel pump is but it was from the metal plate in the centre of the tank.

Hope this helps

Cheers

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah AGAIN! :banghead

Basically RB said if you're cracking the throttle and it knocks, you need hi-oc. Which is does but only sometimes so I been sitting on the fence and oscillating :laugh I think I'll stick with hi-oc from now though ... pretty sure the jappo pumps 91 and 96 :yes

I'm gonna get the shop to put in a new gasket and seal it up with their tricky seal they use ... and trade the TL in next time vehicle registration is due :laugh

·
Registered
723 Posts
Iv'e been dealing with my tanks gasket leaking about once every 6 months. Got myself 4 new gaskets and am using 2 tanks. I change em out and take em apart so I never get the tank leak thing while on the bike.

I HATE gasoline. It gives me headaches when I smell it. I'm sure my bike feels the same way when it gets dripped on.

So far I have been able to catch em early. Cept' last summers leak appearing on the last day of my Deal's Gap trip. I got lucky on that trip.

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I might throw a tube of something at them and tell them to go mad with whatever they got on hand ... if I can get it to last until shaken and trade it in :laugh

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
could you not make a better quality gasket from better (excuse my rubbishness with technical terminology) gaskety type stuff :laugh :O

just with the lotus carlton we make some of our own gaskets for the engine due to them not being available anymore (thank you vauxhall and opel for throwing away perfectly good spare parts :banghead )

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had some blue gasket cement, think it was called Halidyte or something, used by Rolls royce. Pretty expensive too.

Anyway, it fixed the leaky tank on my old GSXR and replaced the float bowl gaskets on the RG too.

Permatex High Tack, looks to be similar and I think both Astro and Nankai have it.
http://www.permatex.com/products/au...ealants/Permatex_Tack_Seal_Gasket_Sealant.htm
http://www.permatex.com/products/au...s/Permatex_Super_High_Tack_Gasket_Sealant.htm
You must be talking about this stuff??:
http://www.hylomar-usa.com/_resources/_html/products.html

According to their webpage it is used by Rolls and,"The compound is resistant to a wide range of fluids including all industrial fuels, oils, water and brine, air, turbine and piston engine combustion products, water, water/glycol and methanol mixtures, petroleum and synthetic diester lubricating oils, gasoline and kerosene fluids (Avtur & Avcat) and fluorocarbon refrigerants."

Permatex specifically says in the TDS on the link you sent, "Note: Not recommended for parts in contact with gasoline."

Hopefully the Hylomar can fix the crack in my plastic KX250 tank:dowhat ... unless someone has a better idea?:O

·
Registered
535 Posts
I used Hylomar on mine 6 months ago, not even looking like a leak. But it's only a gasket compound and will be no good if your tank is warped or otherwise out of shape. Check your sealing flanges with the edge of a steel rule (or similar) and feeler gauges. anything more than 0.5mm will be too much and the gasket will eventually fail at that point. just my 0.02

·
Registered
220 Posts
You must be talking about this stuff??:
http://www.hylomar-usa.com/_resources/_html/products.html

According to their webpage it is used by Rolls and,"The compound is resistant to a wide range of fluids including all industrial fuels, oils, water and brine, air, turbine and piston engine combustion products, water, water/glycol and methanol mixtures, petroleum and synthetic diester lubricating oils, gasoline and kerosene fluids (Avtur & Avcat) and fluorocarbon refrigerants."

Permatex specifically says in the TDS on the link you sent, "Note: Not recommended for parts in contact with gasoline."

Hopefully the Hylomar can fix the crack in my plastic KX250 tank:dowhat ... unless someone has a better idea?:O
Thats the stuff!
I dont know about using it to seal cracks though, it never quite hardens so as soon as you put some pressure in the wrong direction, it will probably let go. I used it in conjunction with the old (and flat :) ) original float bowl gasket and theyve held for over 10 years now with no leaks

·
Registered
573 Posts
Kami, welcome to the club again :) Just add another handmade gasket of 1mm petrolresistant rubber, I make it and still happy! Tank no leak with old gasket!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Main thing is to be sure to get the torque on the pump bolts correct and tighten then down in the correct sequence (there's a good diagram in the manual).

I don't think the stain on the frame will come out as it looks sorta like its penatrated the annodizing. The stain on the paint will probably come off, perhaps a good cleaner wax for starters:O)

good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts