TLZone Forums banner

Leaking radiator

632 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ggraykat 
#1 ·
I noticed my lower radiator was leaking from the fins right in the middle. Can this problem be fix ? I think it got melted by the exhaust.

#5 ·
When you remove your bottom radiator look inside the pipe work and see if it is a white colour if so you may have electrolisis and by replacing or re coring your existing radiator this will happen again in a very short time, i'm hoping this is not your problem as it is for me currently , basically it means if you do have electrolisis that you have a bad earth somewhere. This means there is current flowing through your cooling system , for example if your bike has been damaged look in that area for earth points make sure there all connected to the frame check the cable that it is not cut,torn or damaged in any way if you have installed an after market electronic gizzmo that requires an earth check that as well. in a nut shell check all earth points on your bike.

oh by the way i have also been advised to run an earth strap from the bottom radiator to the frame as the bottom radiator is mounted by 3 rubber mounts,the weakest link in the cooling system electrically . which the experts are telling me its basically an anoide for further info as i'm still learning myself about this as mentioned i'm currently going through this with this exact problem look on the net type in electrolisis in radiator

good luck and again i hope this is not your problem ....

cheers rubberman

#6 ·
Hey rubberman -when I put my bike back together I'm gonna strip on a strap,... stripper with a strap on,... uh put on a ground strap for my radiator. :laugh

Yeah if you have a pin hole you can get some mapp gas and braze it with the proper rods and a little reading/ practice. You can also solder the holes. As Streak mentioned JB weld can hold for a long time if applied with care...

#7 ·
Actually I bought a used one off ebay for $75 and change it already. I may just keep the damage one and try to fix it should incase the one I curently have on may get burned too. I'm going to post some pics a soon as I can to show the proximity of the front header to the radiator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.