TLZone Forums banner

Labor Day Ridefest

756 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SonnyD 
#1 ·
We had a Thumpertalk Rally here in CO. My part of it was to lead these lunatics on a trail ride. The main group went 50 miles, a few hard core guys stayed with me and we went another 21 miles. The CR250 laying on the ground in the last pic wound up hanging from a tree on a particularly gnarly section :coocoo

Major fun was had by all. I have to admit, my MC pendulum has swung to off roading as of late. The TLS is biding it's time. I will spend more time on her someday. That is the beauty of having two completely different bikes. Always in love with riding, one way or another :hail

A little petroleum anxiety here. My DRZ to the rescue, with it's 3.2 gallon tank :laugh

I guess he was too tired to deal with it anymore.

Honestly, I intended to lead my group of "advanced" riders, who came from as far away as Phoenix, on a fun trail ride. Instead it turned into a coolant spurting, pipe smashing, radiator bending, gas tank running dry mini torture enduro. In other words, a perfect ride!

One of the riders was a 14 year old son of a police officer. The poor kid could barely move afterwards. I am sure it was a life shaping experience. He will now forever be on guard against seemingly harmless old coots on dirt bikes. We may be old, but we are wiley! All I can say is I am glad I did not run him over that one time he crashed right in front of me. Dad was pretty proud of the boy. The kid had spunk and determination. His dad (great guy) lives in Aspen. I may have to take him up on his offer to stay at his place and ride his trails, which come right up to his yard. Lucky bastard :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like an awsome time:hail Wish I were there:drool

My CR is pretty well set up for rocky/technical enduro type stuff - 3.2 gal tank and a full coverage pipe guard:banana

#3 ·
The guy who left his CR laying on the ground works for Excel Motorsports. He picked up his bike brand new for $3,500. Seems they are giving the smokers away around here.

The upcoming '07 WR450 has an aluminum frame, leading to deeply discounted '06 models. Hmm :devious

#4 ·
Wow, I paid nearly that for my 4 year old CR! What a deal (but I'm not entirely sure I'd chose an 06 over an 01...).

The WR's are good bikes. Need uncorking but once that's done they aren't too far off a YZF, but for that matter, why not buy a YZF and a big tank? If you keep the DR you probably arn't worried about lighting or a wide raito gear box...then there's always the TE510 or 450:devious

#5 ·
Stop it, stop it. I want to live in that area so bad. My wife would never allow it though.

That's a hell of a deal. Would they ship for $4,000?

#6 ·
You can ship a dirt bike for under $500. But you might want to look at used bikes. With the new thumpers out, used two strokes (and thumpers) are super cheep these days. You should be able to find a nice used CR250 for around 2-2.5K.

#7 ·
sounds like a great experience :hail must visit craig :coocoo

re: shipping a dirtbike, this was under $300 to ship from WY to CA

#8 ·
Heck, you can ship a sportbike for about $450.

Nice riding, I should have come up!

2smokes on a thumpertalk ride? Why...that's like gixxers at a tlzone trackday! :rotfl

#9 ·
Man I LOVE Colorado!!!! Everytime I see pictures like this it makes me want to come out even more. It's a shame I don't get out there more often since it's only about 550 miles away. Thanks for some Great pics.
Regards Sonny

#10 ·
So I had all that fun last weekend on Labor Day. Look what I did today :devious

Getting higher in elevation now, above the treeline.

OK, I am up high now.

Holy crap, this trail leads to Mars. Time to turn around. Yes, it was getting a tad cold when this was taken :laugh

Two good rides in a row. :hail

#11 ·
I went riding in the dirt today too, but Marshall Creek Tx. is nowhere near that pretty! :hail

You keep these pictures up and I'll be telling the wife to pack her shit cuz we are moving! :banghead

#12 ·
Duken4evr....YOU SUCK!!!!:laugh :laugh .........oh man, that is just so Beautiful it brings tears to my eyes!!
Here I sit looking at my coke bottle full of worn away rock and soil from the Garden of the Gods, and a little tobacco type pouch of little pine cones, and sticks from the Rocky mtn national park, Roosevelt natl part, and Arapahoe natl forest.
I seem to get strength from these little things, when I'm stuck where I'm at.
You truly are Blessed!
Regards Sonny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.