TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Cagiva Navigator which I think has the TLS motor. Just wondered if it's normal to have a ticking noise in the front cylinder head, the noise seems to be somewhere around about the exhaust valve. I thought it might be the shim bucket, bike has only done about 16000km although 10 yrs old.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Some ticking is normal in TLs, but a loud tick or knock would be bad. A few TLs have had issues with the bucket for the front exhaust valves cracking - Sam has a current thread on this. I'd imagine that a cracked one would make some noises in that area. If its a particularly loud noise it might be worth popping the front valve cover and exhaust cam off to have a look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I saw the post about the shim buckets and that's what made me wonder. It's not really that loud, but only seems to come from the front head. Are there any idiot guides to checking / adjusting the valves?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The one in the suzuki service manual is very good :thumbup

·
Registered
945 Posts
If it's a deeper knock and it comes and goes with load, that's very bad
What's that then ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my Navigator, the ticking is most noticable on idle, can't really hear it past then. My guess is that it's a noisy cam/shim/bucket somewhere in the front. Thankfully it doesn't sound like a big end, and seems to be coming from the head.

·
Registered
945 Posts
TWice in since I've had the bike I have turned it on stuck it in gear and as I went to pull off there was a thump noise from the front of the seat area and no drive as I twisted the throttle ,I knocked it off then stuck it in neutral then back in gear and it was fine. Like I say its only been twice but god knows what it was/is

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
A backfire. Just make sure the throttlebody rubber boots are still on, they tend to get blown off rather than damage the butterflies.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You think that's all it is ? I do get backfires from the exhaust as it happens

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
thump noise from the front of the seat area and no drive as I twisted the throttle
it jumped out tof gear.

gear dogs or star wheel in selector is getting worn.

·
Registered
945 Posts
That a dear do ?

Sam , Sam , Sam you busy lol

Cheers mate

·
Registered
233 Posts
My TLS ticks from the front. I just had a valve adjustment done and everything checked out 100%. My mechanic is the only one other than myself that's touched my bikes since 1988 so I trust him. I think TL's just tick.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts