TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WILL NOT RIDE AGAIN AFTER SON'S AGONY

A biker who survived a horrific crash on the A38 has told how he hasn't been able to get back on a motorcycle after seeing his 13-year-old son's face.
Full story and video clip...
Link

Don't know about you but I'm not sure who's to blame from that clip.

·
Registered
684 Posts
From what I've seen he slowed and moved across in front of the car that hit him. He was going much slower than the car in the left hand lane. If he rides like that a lot it's probably best that he stops. :coocoo

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah, it looks like that minivan may have been speeding, but it did look like he was suddenly crossing that lane slowly. :coocoo

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:O From the angle of the bike and his speed before he got hit looks like he was gona pull into the layby, still does not excuse the car hitting him though :O

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It also looks like the car had it's hazard lights are on before the impact.
I think there's a bit of blame on both sides.
Bike's going to slow and the car's undertaking

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
To me it looked as if the bike had passed the car, and was cutting it up to get into the layby. :O

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you're gonna pull into a layby you don't do it from the right hand lane, without signalling and by just braking and pulling across in front of the car in the left hand lane. Unless you want to die. For an IAM member his Roadcraft is shite.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:hail :hail Blunt , but to the point :hail :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'lldrink to that:cheers

·
Registered
684 Posts
From the original news story he wanted to point something out to the cops that he'd spotted and that's why he pulled across towards the layby.

Mr Hortop had been pulling into the hard shoulder after spotting an incident on the opposite carriageway which he thought he should tell the police about. Mr Hortop said he slowed down on the inside lane to about 20mph when the collision occured.
So he's on what is clearly a pretty busy major road and he pulls across from the overtaking lane into the left hand lane at 20mph? :coocoo

What I don't understand is the police quote further down the same page:
Police are not investigating the incident any further. Pc Ian Tanner, of Plympton traffic police, said: “Mr Hortop is lucky to be alive after this incident. He is an experienced motorcyclist who did everything right – and this shows how important it is to wear the proper kit.”
What a load of bollocks. Who was to blame for the collision? Was it the car driver or the rider? Someone got it wrong and that's what caused the smash.

IMO, the rider carried out a dangerous manouvre which put him directly in the car's path. Look at his angle of approach towards the layby: he was clearly in the right hand lane, probably until he passed the cop car doing the filming. Perhaps the cops thought the fact that his bike was in a thousand pieces was punishment enough?

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:O So lets get this right , he was a Police Grass (sorry Dave) :O and a crap motorcyclist to boot , fookin tosser :crazy :cuckoo :hmm :bash

·
Registered
684 Posts
:laugh Nice one Micky. :hail

Says he just recently did his IAM test. Probably wanted to run up to the traffic cops and say "I'm an advanced rider, and I noticed etc etc"

Twat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts