TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a bit of fun in the garage yesterday! :)

i bought a set of crashbars and a luggage rack and mounted it on the bike. The luggage rack was of a KLX-C and it didn't fit at all on my R :banghead

some hours of gridning, drilling and fabbing up brackets, and we got it mounted at last :yes i even got a license plate mount now :)

the alu cases i had lying around from my africa trip went on without too much hassle (some extra drilling), so the bike is now almost ready for a little adventure :devious

i also gave my seat to a friend, and his mum made a black faux leather seat for me! :hail she even put 'wreckah' on it :laugh :thumbup

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
all i need now is a stock taillight, and a smaller magnet to glue on the disc (for pickup for my bicycle speedo) and we're in business :)

i will get the bike registered wednesday, so the cagiva will be on winterbreak from then on :thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Looks sweet:thumbup

BTW I belive trailtech makes the little magnetic gizmos specificially for most dual sport/off road bikes.

have fun

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
must be darn easy to wheelie with thoose alu cases on :laugh

nice work and were are U going :confused

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope :laugh

thinking of spraying her all black though...i'm soo not doing with this bike what i intended to do with it...riding it! :banghead :laugh

Lasse: i'm thinking of a wintertrip to Scotland,... or maybe a wintertrip to Morocco :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a couple of ideas....gold and black theme...and nope, i'm not good with photoshop :)

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
yep U suck at photoshop :yes

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'd leave the plastics grean and pain the frame black or silver with fork guards and seat cover to match (well not purple anyway):)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im with Josh.
Keep the Green, Its Kwaki after all!
But the purple... :lol who knew what they was thinking when painting it purple. Probably was some error on the printer when sending over consept studies to the paint shop...

Black and Kawasaki green is nice :)

The black plastic and gold frame was nice as well. But "every" Husqvarna is black, half of all KTMs are black, etc....

The mean team green!! :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Whilst on the topic of purple bikes, I won my first race on this (and wearing pink/blue/yellow gear too)
(the rad shrounds were purple, only changed them out for the photo when selling).

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:)

i'll start off with the frame black, and go from there. :)

anyway,

i made the first couple of rides with it yesterday and the day before. :thumbup

it's superfun to ride, it's more of a man's bike than the husky, but i like it. The new diablo up front works good too :)

starting the damn thing...well, if it's warm, it only takes one kick, so that's good! but in the morning, when i first have to start it, it's really difficult. I'm not used to the fueling of this bike: choke on/off, throttle blip or not, etc...it took me 30 kicks yesterday morning and no starty with choke...then i put the choke off, and it started at the 2nd kick... :O we'll see what tomorrow brings :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Crazy! I'm not much of a four stroke guy but my minimal experence has been that its usually best to start from cold with the choke all the way on and throttle alll the way closed. As I'm used to two strokes and giving a little throttle when kicking I find that it starts much better for me if I keep my right hand on the brake MC or somewhere other than the throttle grip, I guess I twist it just a tad without knowing it. Then, if that doesn't work after a few kicks I typically try bit of throttle to let air in as by that time its usually flooded and can use it.

Is it a pumper carb or CV style?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BikePilot. Try squesing the breaks hard when starting a 4 stroker. Keeps the hand from making that unvoluntary twist. :)

Full choke or not with cold engine. For me thats all dependent air temperature.
I usualy try full choke first, but if I fail on the first kick, then half choke, and that usualy do it :)

Wreckah. Dont forget the "pre-start" procedure. That thing with kicking it without the purpose of starting it. The one where you prepare the carb and cylinder for starting. I.e. filling it with nice juicy petrol. :)

I have a decomp lever, so I pull that in and kick hard 2-4 times, and then search for the comp, go past that 1-2 cm, then kicks hard. Ta da! :)

Withouth the decomp lever, try the kill switch, and do the same.

Now, it's hard to explain, but, sometimes you kick and give throttle, and it starts.
But to master this procedure youi really need to know YOUR bike. I do it on my XR, Ive had it 3 years, I cant do it on any other bike. It's like, "when the bike is like this, I do like this" feeling in the vrist. :rolleyes: :laugh
The general statement is that never give throttle on a 4 stroker.

And, there is one other MAJOR reason you should not. heh. A back firing 600 cc 4 stroker that back fires when kicking it (that's not at all unusual if you give it to much throttle) will give you a superman flight. usualy across the bars... Sometimes with a broken foot, or a really really sore knee.
It's a good reason as any to never give gas when kicking.
heh, yes. Ive done it... :laugh
The XR kicks like a mule....

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Good points:thumbup Luckily all my current 4-strokes have e-start (TL, VF500, DR250). The two stroke MX bikes are all kick start, but are super easy to start, gotta love two strokes when it come to kick starting:) I could start my 125's with hand on the lever (and I'm not the buff type).

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
josh: carb: i've got no idea which one is in there...

putte: killswitch :O :laugh
and yes i kick a few rounds lightly to fill everything with juice. :)

gonna try half choke next time ;) and yup it aparently all depends on the 'mood' of the bike :laugh sorta like a woman... :devious

i've given it throttle before, but i read about the 'kickback' so i won't be doing that no more :laugh

it will wheelie very easily by the way, i gave it some throttle in first and second, and i felt the front coming up without even trying :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
W, if the slide has a diaphram controlled slide as well as a butterfly in the carb its a CV style if its just got a flat slide it will be a pumper carb most likely. CV carbs will generally have big round tops, usually in stamped steel or black plastic while flat slide pumpers will usually have an aluminum top that matches the rest of the carb.

A keihn FCR is an example of a popular flat slide, a Mikuni BST is a popular CV carb. CV carbs tend to seriously hinder throttle response, but make it easy to accelerate without bogging (they basically make it impossible to open the throttle quickly) and make it easy to maintain a constant speed. Pumper carbs give much more instant throttle response (sorta like a TL) and usualy flow better for a given size yeilding better top power as well.

A pumper carb will pump fuel into the intake when you twist the throttle, even when the engine isn't running which makes what you do with the throttle with the engine off quite importaint for starting. You can take advantage of it for a bit more fuel for cold starts but can also easily flood the motor.

As CV carbs tend to be a bit more fool proof in terms of noob operation and more enviro friendly they are usually standard on factory street legal bikes. bikes intended for off road racing (like a CRF) will always have a pumper carb and bikes for more recreational off roading (DR, XR, KLX ) could have either.

Here's an FCR pumper carb

here's a BST CV carb

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
Dont forget the "pre-start" procedure. That thing with kicking it without the purpose of starting it. The one where you prepare the carb and cylinder for starting. I.e. filling it with nice juicy petrol. :)

Withouth the decomp lever, try the kill switch, and do the same.
Awesome tip PL just awesome :hail it´s been a pita to try and kickstart the DRZ before but went out today and did like U said and tarattatatddaaaa first time first kick :banana

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
did a little makeover today too :laugh

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the explanation josh, :) so i know now that the sv650 had CV carbs, while our porsche has some sort of pumper carbs :thumbup

i will go into the carbs sometime in the next weeks...clean everything out, and get the settings right.

Lasse: that looks like the perfect rear tire for backing it in :devious

1 - 20 of 64 Posts