TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of pics from yesterday's qualifying runs for the Purdue Grand Prix. My little brother would have got P1 if he had this run on the first day of qualifying, but issues with the kart prevented that!

·
Super Mod,
3,567 Posts
Great shots.

Love the cage on that thing! Watching old videos of Kart accidents (without cages) always made me cringe.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,413 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no broken fingers... they were treating his arm. His engine burned right through his suit and laid on bare skin for a few seconds. They were also checking to make sure there were no head injuries.

The middle picture above is the only one that I have, and it only shows a small fraction of the damage to the kart

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That's crazy! I'd want the full cage for sure. Why doesn't everyone use them? Weight?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weight and chassis flex. The only suspension they have is the flex of the chassis, all the cage does is make it more rigid.

I will post a bunch more pics after this weekends race

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Makes sense, but couldn't the cage be isolated from the chassis (rubber mounts or something) to eliminate the effect on chassis flex? Doesn't seem a terribly difficult engineering problem (at least from my keyboard anyway:laugh)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They try to isolate the cage from the chassis as much as possible while still following the school's policy. Since they only run the cage once a year, they don't put a whole lot of effort into it.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
makes sense:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Madness!

Looks like loads of fun though:)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This weekends race was awesome. Little bro had starting issues and ended up starting 29th or 30th. He worked his way up to 6th and had the race's fastest laps. On lap 66 (Keep in mind this is one of the longest kart races ever at 160 laps) he started having engine trouble and had to retire. All in all it was a great weekend. Later on that night in the FSR SimRacing Pro race Sam ended up finishing third!

And the winner of the 1967 Purdue Grand Prix during the Legends Event

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...looks a blast:thumbup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts