TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Gixxer out today on a daytime MOT, I havent ridden it on the road since I bought it. I have bene moaning it doesnt feel that quick on the track even with full system etc. Anyway, I did 120 miles and could'nt wait to get off! The rear suspension and apprent lack of travel just makes it so much hard work. Rearset didnt help. but even with verything backed off, jars over bumps and too flightly

However, I gave it some serious stick TT style through a a narrow forest/avenue of trees/rise and falls and - jeez! - violent is the word! I had to back off,Espcially with accel pump setup agressive in the PC3. Instant shove forward, and rock hard sus was enough to frighten the daylights out of me! the speeds this thing gets up to is insane.

I then jumped on the TLs, and after 7/8 years of wondership, I still love this old bike and as a road bike, its much better IMo than the gixxer. Loping along in 6th listening to the runmble or attacking bends, its great. You sit in it rather than perched on top too, and just so much easier and nicer to ride on the street.

Moral is; never get rid of your TL's, they're worth peanuts anyway so may as well keep it Just thoight I'd share. :)

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
I totally agree I found my R1 exactly the same, 130 bhp is plenty for the road, I felt I had come home when the R1 went and I got back on the TL

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
That sounds little different to a stock suspended TLS. :O

The GSXR is obviously not set up for the road,you could make it ride as plush as you wanted just like a TLS. :confused
The difference is the GSXR has more scope with a rising rate rear suspension unlike the TLS.

I could almost say the same,when i got my first TLS in 2000.
I had been riding the same Ducati for 17 years prior (i still have it) the TL compared to that had rock hard suspension and could not hold a line compared to the old twin shock Duke.
It took a lot of time and money to get the TL up to a reasonable spec,but getting onto a well set up R1 showed it was still not in the ballpark.
Still a great bike all the same compared to the dreary cookie cutter bikes they make now,probably why i bought a second one.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Totally agree Tony, I did about 100 mile on my K7 and frightened myself to death. They are fast enough just short shifting at 7-8k like the TL, but when you try to rev them out through the gears on country lanes......Jeeeez :coocoo

Now I like to think I'm in control and have a fair bit of experience and it therefore comes as no surprise how many "New" bikers go out and buy the latest 1000cc bikes and kill themselves.

I love the way V-Twins deliver the power at a much lower engine speed and therefore feel slower, maybe I'm getting old :laugh

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
getting old:laugh, no i agree its much easier to ride a twin on the road.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm in total agreement. I feel like I can ring my R out a bit on the road and still be somewhat sane about it. I don't usually get over a 100 anymore (much :devious ), on my '01 Gixxer Thou I'd ring that up a bit and holy shit your doing 120, 130 in NO time. I think you get over that 130 horse mark and its a bit much for the road. :dowhat Maybe I'm getting old to Sam?!

·
15,415 Posts
By the way Tony, I'd take the race numbers off on the road, the Police don't like it :thumbup

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The GSXR is obviously not set up for the road,you could make it ride as plush as you wanted just like a TLS. :confused
Nope - as I said, all backed off, still rock hard. and TL was on a ohlins, now a bitubo, TLR forks.

TLR-Brendan - Only one glass needs cleaning, they are actually treaded SC1's! :)

thats the difference, these are managble to around 8/9k rpm, its the last bit that is the trouble. Whereas on a TL, apraching 140, things slow down somehwat, on the gixxer, its still pulling really hard .

Yep, expected to get pulled for numbers/no lights of any kind, but all legal beleive it or not. I stuck a mirror on though and genrally took it very easy/paranoid.

DOnt think its about getting older, its not like, we CANT ride at those speeds, just a case having no margin with traffic etc on the road, and mostly the feeling that you nowhere near the performance limit. or the V twin sensation and hence enjoyment.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Nope - as I said, all backed off, still rock hard. and TL was on a ohlins, now a bitubo, TLR forks.

Backed off means diddly squat.

As i said you can not compare a bike not set up (the spring is obviously wrong on the GSXR) to one that is as the TLS is.

Wind all the adjustments off the TLS and it will handle like crap also.
As said you could set the GSXR up to be as plush as wanted even at full steam.
A high HP bike set up for track only is never going to be a commuter or ride like a Morris Minor. :lol

·
15,415 Posts
Yes, certainly the K7 is way oversprung for the road (unless you class highways as roads :laugh)

I backed off the spring preload as much as I dared without altering the sag too much and also backed off the compresion damping and rebound to stop pump down but it was still too stiff.

I partially blamed the race seat with just 5mm of foam on it :laugh

On the track though, it was great :thumbup

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeez, here we go!

how long have I been riding for? and I now need you to tell me, all the way from from Oz no less, what my spring rate is! On that basis, your posts means diddly squat

Missing the point, Just a casual conversation about riding impressions buddy, not a oppourtunity to showoff your sus knowledge, preceived or otherwise.

·
Registered
593 Posts
was looking at selling :dowhat my tlr to buy :dowhat a gixxer thou but you gentlemen have helped me decide to keep :) my tlr...and you guys are :coocoo right after you get up to 130 mph things can happen real fast on the road...whatever the bike it can be set up to be good on the street and track...

lol...133bhp, did you learn your sus lesson :devious for the day?...just kidding :laugh:laugh...
:) have a good one fellas...go for a ride...

hey 133bhp, is that the bhp for your tl s/r? if so, what mods have you done?

·
Registered
587 Posts
hey 133bhp, is that the bhp for your tl s/r? if so, what mods have you done?
I just dynoed at 132.5 to be exact. :devious I have a full Yosh system, BMC air filter, TRE, and PC3 with a custom map... I only gained about 1 or 2hp at the peak with the PC3 and map, but it helped out a good amount over the whole rev range.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Main advice is - have both! Just keep the TL as what will you get for it anyway? peanuts! Plenty have regretted it.

133bhp?, 132.7 actually, just a full yoshi/K&N/yosh boxed - and a 97 TLs :) 40,000 miles ago now though and engine slung together 3 times, but still tramps on well enough.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Jeez, here we go!

how long have I been riding for? and I now need you to tell me, all the way from from Oz no less, what my spring rate is! On that basis, your posts means diddly squat

Missing the point, Just a casual conversation about riding impressions buddy, not a oppourtunity to showoff your sus knowledge, preceived or otherwise.
Put the hair gel down and take a deep breath :lol

All i said was how can you compare a set up TLS by your own admission (Ohlins and done forks) to a track set up GSXR.
I am no suspension expert and never said i was but common sense would tell you backing off the compression or rebound will do nothing to a over sprung bike.
They are only bypass/bandaid adjustments anyway,the shim stack is the main control be it forks or shock.
No different to those who think taking preload out softens things,it simply moves the rising rate link into a zone which makes the problem worse when overdone.

You should have put a disclaimer, agree or not post. :laugh

My DR is little different,it has such a narrow focused Ohlins set up for carrying a heavy load at speed on corrugated roads that it is bone jarring unloaded on tarseal.
I tried backing things off but the heavy spring is the problem.
Sorry for passing it on. :laugh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts