TLZone Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quicky. Do i really need the K&N servicing kit and oil or will any oil do?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was sort of hoping to avoid the $30 especially if we are talking about $2 of engine oil or some other light weight oil.

·
Premium Member
29,860 Posts
Use proper filter oil. It's tackier than engine oil and is designed to trap dust and dirt. Engine oil is designed to lubricate.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
Just did mine last night with the K&N kit. I ended up using warm water with washing up liquid to wash the filter as the K&N degreaser and 10 min soak didn't work that well.

I had to blow it gently with the compressed air as there were a lot of fly's stuck in the pleats that normal washing wouldn't get out.

The K&N Filter oil is good stuff though, but I guess any m/x filter oil will do if your on a budget :thumbup

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
FWIW I stopped using anything at 16,000 miles, at 50,000, no scores/wear at all.

·
15,420 Posts
FWIW I stopped using anything at 16,000 miles, at 50,000, no scores/wear at all.
Just keep out of the gravel traps :devious

With a race fairing you loose the mesh grilles on the fairing intakes so those bumble bees and large fly's don't get sliced up and go in whole, not to mention stones which normally get bounced off the mesh :thumbup

My K&N still looked very clean after 6 years of use but the amount of disected fly parts on the inside was surprising :laugh

·
15,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,860 Posts
:laugh

The amount of bugs I can get out of my filter is a lot, and that's with mesh on the front.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
the super tacky foam filter oils are not to be used on a k&n filter(according to them),they actually filter better when they look a bit grungy,in other words cleaning them often is unneccesary work,and every cleaning is causing damage to the filter no matter how careful you are,once every 3 years (50,000 miles according to k&n)is plenty often on a street bike,it is recomended to lightly re-oil the clean side of the filter occasionaly,every season should be enough,i know you guys can't stand having any thing that looks "dirty" on your bikes even if it hdden from site

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Just did mine with the kit the other week Tom ,I spent a bit of time picking out the bugs with a very small screw driver so as not to damage the filter .Pretty happy with the result .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.