TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Gurus,
First thanks for all the insight youve given, this forum is the best.

So the bike randomly stalls out. We initially thought it may be a overheating problem, so we installed a switch for manual operation of the fan. Now no heat.

Clutch Plates (friction) were replaced two days ago, Bike feels like a new machine.

Prob now is that the bike randomly stalls out. More so on when slowing to corner. I will down shift to say 3rd on approach to the corner, when clutch is released i'll get a slight skid as the bike is off and its basically push starting itself again from the momentum.

Kinda dangerous going through corners with traffic behind me. Any Ideas as to what the hell may be going on? :O:O

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
are the lights going off as this happens? If not? prob tunng related, or idle adjuster, or vac leak and so on,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no blinking lights, no codes, or anything obviously noticeable aside from engine off.
idle is at 1k should i maybe try amping it up a bit?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
okay, so not he dreaded starter relay connections then.

Umm, think 1100rpm is correct? or is 1400?, cant remember as mine is turned up a result of TRE anyway. If latter, yes, turn up a bit. Someone will post up?

As ever, really got to check the TPS/sync though if only to eliminate from enquiries.

check you cant reverse twist the throttle past the stop as might be shutting it down inadvertantly? (espcially scaring yourself leaned over trying to get to turn :) )

·
Registered
211 Posts
EDS beat me to it.
Check kickstand switch and kickstand pivot itself.
Squirt some WD or the like on the hinge bolt and even a little on the plunger of the switch itself. Wipe off the excess lube and ride on.
You can also remove the switch by making a jumper wire at the connection coupler and take the switch out of the system all together.
You'll just have to remember pull your kickstand up when you leave from parking and that the bike won't shut off if it is still in gear when you put the kickstand down like what it does if you stop in neutral to put the side stand down.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
yep, aplogies, my post was garbage :) check the sidetand switch, clean forgot as disconnected mine years ago.

·
Registered
814 Posts
hows the tl lhitt1? got my starter relay in today. putting it in now.... :) hope your issues are coming along to beeing resolved.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey all, Thanks for your input! cometo think of it, you may be dead on with the Kickstand Switch. i remember when first got her the bike allowed me to move her while Kickstand down. obvious mail function there. heading home to check it out in bout 1 hour!!

Stayed tuneed for my next TL1000r adventure!!
Peace

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
1k RPM is a bit low, should be around 1200. If the TPS is out of adjustment or the switch is bad it will cause RPM problems.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
:stupid

Set it to 1200 rpm as a minimum.

It shouldn't stall anyway, but be quicker with the gear changes, and maybe try a lower gear. I would have though 3rd gear corners would be 40+ MPH / 60+ km/h.

·
Registered
501 Posts
1k rpm is way too low as already stated. Mine used to stall in traffic / at lights etc., but it hasn't done it once since fitting new plugs, balancing the throttle bodies, adjusting the throttle cable and raising the idle a bit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all!!

Thanks for all your help and insight

So I WD40'd the hell out of the kick stand area and switch, lots of gunk up in there. I also raised the idle to 1200 RPM last night. Took her out for Bike night, no problems!!

I will def be looking at a full tune and TPS sync in the near future.
I Love This Beast!!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts