TLZone Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was out cruising and came upon a veiw that just made me shut the bike of and snap a couple pics. They are from my camera phone, but they are still good. I'll try to take some better ones tonight with the digcam.

Check out the view

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
cool:thumbup

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
looking good buddy, i wanted yellow but had to get black. GREAT little bikes :thumbup
Duken, do ya know of anyone selling some "S" wheels :devious:devious

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
funny tl1kr, I wanted black, but had to settle for yellow :laugh

Duken, I'd LOVE to do some trail riding with yah, been keeping my eyes open for a set of S wheels

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
E wheels would be just fine too:)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thought the E had a different swingarm?
and since the SM has the RM forks, would a RM front wheel work too?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I don't know about the swingarm, but I would think an RM front wheel (probably rear - though it'd be 19") would work. I'm no DR-Z expert though - Duken will probably know:) In general its not hard to fit different wheels as long as they are somewhat close - it will just be a matter of bearing ID and spacer length for the most part.

have fun

·
5,503 Posts
The E and S and SM all use the same hubs. Bless Suzuki and their parts bin engineering. Therefore, the wheels are a straight bolt on.

The complication is the large front brake rotor on your SM. You can bolt a same sized rotor to a 21" off road front wheel and it will go right on, but then you have a big rotor that may be too much for off road.

The hot ticket would be to get a smaller S or E rotor with the wheel and have a spacer made to relocate your caliper to where it needs to be. Does your SM have a spacer to locate the caliper farther out? Who knows, perhaps the caliper would bolt straight onto your forks and work with the smaller rotor. It would not shock me. :) Eddie (Burned) Sisneros over at TT could fill you in. PM him if you are interested.

Here is a thread discussing an SM with off road wheels.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417700&highlight=wheels

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the swap over wouldn't be a big deal it seems. the trick is to get the correct rear wheel/sprocket combo for it to just be a simple bolt on and go, like the guys on TT claim

·
5,503 Posts
Take a look at the end of that thread I posted. If you set the gearing up right, you can have acceptable street and off road gearing for the different size rear wheels, and simply take up the difference with the chain adjustment. :hail

The hot ticket sounds like 15/38 on SM wheels and 15/47 on the dirt wheels. Ideally you want 14/47 for off road, but 15 will work, especially if you mod the motor for more power :devious

15/44 is stock S gearing.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh I think 14/47 will be plenty for me right now. I haven't ridden dirt since i was about 12, and that was just up and down a dirt road, not the same.

but damn, dirt wheels are getting to be as pricey as SM wheels...there's a couple on ebay right now, and it would cost me about $500 for well used wheels...still not that bad tho

·
5,503 Posts
I know - there is a lot of demand for SM wheels. I would love to rig up my S with some 17s for tooling around on Deer Creek and such. And an FCR carb, 435cc big bore kit, Ferrea valves, etc etc. :laugh

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Duken4evr said:
Take a look at the end of that thread I posted. If you set the gearing up right, you can have acceptable street and off road gearing for the different size rear wheels, and simply take up the difference with the chain adjustment. :hail

The hot ticket sounds like 15/38 on SM wheels and 15/47 on the dirt wheels. Ideally you want 14/47 for off road, but 15 will work, especially if you mod the motor for more power :devious

15/44 is stock S gearing.
stock gearing on my 06 SM is 15/41. to go 15/47 with the dirt wheels looks like i'd need another chain too.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Why not just swap out the front sprocket when you change wheels? They are cheep, don't make much difference on chain length and easy enough to change:)

have fun

1 - 15 of 15 Posts