TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode the TLS at the track today. The suspension is spot on, the tires aren't too bad. But! It is so heavy! I did a few laps on the TL and then parked it and got on the KTM. Man the TL is sweet, but it is so dang heavy compared to my tiny bike. I was whooped after 3 short laps. I did two more 30 min sessions on the KTM and was ready for more. Dang, I may have to exercise so I can ride the fugger on the track correctly. It is nice with the new front and rear suspension and 6 pots/lines.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...excersize:laugh...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I am finally back up to speed on the race track & there is just no way I can ride my TLS hard enough to keep up with lighter bikes with a good chassis. I tried, tried some more and then beat on myself for not riding it hard enough. Then I decided I needed to do more work training on the mountain bike so I started really training hard this past Summer. Many hour long fast bicycle rides in 100 degree heat did the trick. Then after getting frustrated with riders on newer 600's easily diving under me while riding the TLS I took my GSXR1000 back on the track.

I'm in pretty good shape now; it's just that when you start really pushing hard the TLS / TLR is just dated & it shows. The chassis can only take so much & you have to ride it right on the ragged edge to go fairly well & I just don't have fun doing that anymore. I love pushing hard but maybe all the hospital visits got to me? I'm starting to push the GSXR pretty hard & it is just yawning & begging for more. Just a whole lot easier to go fast on & you get the opportunity to learn lots of new stuff as the GSXR chassis allows you to take many more lines, carry more corner speed & change direction so much quicker you can push the thing way harder than I could the TLS while still maintaining quite a bit more control. The TL was just all over the place & sliding hard but still wouldn't let me put it EXACTLY where I wanted it to go in a turn. Yeah, I was going pretty fast but I was thrashing tires & riders I know where not as good as I was were just motoring past me. The GSXR just yawns, asks "is that all you can do?" then begs you to learn how to snap it around quicker.

Doug, there was a time when that bike with a hot rodded & properly set up suspension would do pretty damn well out there. But there just aren't a lot of 97' GSXR 750's & 600's running out there to compare the TL to anymore. Get on a new R6 or GSXR750 & do a few laps & you will be amazed at just how far the technology has gone. My 01' GSXR1000 is already "dated" out there & it is a quantum leap ahead of my TLS...

:banghead

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mate,riding a TLS/TLR is a lifestyle choice.

They may not be cutting edge,but that's not why you own one.They're fun to ride and have bucket loads of character.

Mines a keeper,regardless!!!!:ytiller

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Mr. DOBALINA you're spot on there, exactly the same way I feel.

A few years back the TL would pull out a bike length on the exit of every turn and keep with the big bikes down the straights, but now a typical stock GSXR/ZX10R with a PCIII and a can puts out over 170bhp with the torque to match and 20 kg's lighter :banghead

I too have had my share of hospital visits recently, my hearts not in it the same as before. I'm not prepared to ride at 110% on the TL and be lucky to finish in the top 5. Maybe I'm getting older and wiser but I have to go back to work on a Monday unlike a lot of the young wanna be's on sponsored rides who don't care if they tangle with you on the first corner etc

I agree with Doug, I just bought a stock TLS to build a lighter TLS road bike, and man when I picked it up I nearly had to go knock back on his door to ask him to help me push it up onto my trailor !!

My race TL weighs in at 182kg (92/90) wet with no fuel in it

Dry weight of a stock TLS is quoted at 187Kg (My arse !!) compared to a GSXR1000 at 166Kg

I think Japans Dry weights are no fuel, coolant, oil, brake fluid, battery etc :confused

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the TL is a sweet bike, I love mine, but it is going to be my street bike. I will never love it at the track like I love the KTM. Just isn't as good anywhere on the track. If the KTM gets boring (not likely soon) then I will get an Aprilia I'd think (SXV of course) and go from there.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Mate,riding a TLS/TLR is a lifestyle choice.

They may not be cutting edge,but that's not why you own one.They're fun to ride and have bucket loads of character.

Mines a keeper,regardless!!!!:ytiller

Without a doubt! You don't see a for sale sign on my TLS & probably never will.

Think we are talking about a frequently ridden on the track TLS/TLR; at least that's what I was referring to. On the street, the mountains/canyons the TLS/TLR is just loads of fun & is really not all that dated in that environment. That's because you are not pushing it quite to the same level you would do on a racetrack - especially if you are out in that track environment frequently. That last 10% is where these other bikes just take off on you. You really shouldn't be exploring that zone up in the twisities on your local roads.

·
15,415 Posts
I will never love it at the track like I love the KTM
Just wait till it bites you like my CRF did, I loved it until I road raced it and it spat me off from a great height and stopped me riding bikes for 6 months :banghead

It also got sold pretty soon afterwards aswell......that'll teach it :laugh

I can't bare to sell my race bike, hell I can't even bare to take bits off it for my road bike just incase I have another go next year on it !

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been riding the KTM exclusively at the track since late May. So far so good. I need a steering damper though, the bumps combined with the Maxxis Presa slick that is so pointy on the front limits a couple of spots on the track because I get some serious headshake I have to battle. So when I get that sorted it will rock.

·
15,415 Posts
Just remember on a Supermoto with close running tyre/chain combinations when you fit a new chain the factory lube will deposit on your rear tyre as the links warm up on the 20 minute sessions of a track day. There is only one proper left hander at my local track and it's fast...............

I lasted 4 laps :banghead

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always clean the white grease off :coocoo. The track I ride at is mostly lefts, so I should go down much earlier than 4 laps in the same situation. Yesterday we had some dirt on the track in the fastest corner and it still is tough to go fast with the two wheel and full lock slides required, so we were slowing for that puppy. On days when they run lots of cars it gets cleaned up for us and isn't too bad. The shorter new track is very grippy even with dirt on it.

I feel like the TL is huge and heavy and slow steering and I know it really isn't. I just like the control the lighter bike gives me and the forgiving nature at the edge vs. the TL's secret desire to kill a fella:lol

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I feel like the TL is huge and heavy and slow steering and I know it really isn't...
All bikes feel like that after riding a SM. The other day I rode my buddy's 600RR it it felt huge and hard to turn

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Doug, how is it you can spend so much dang money on bike stuff but you can't seem to pull the trigger on that steering damper even though you NEED it more than other stuff you've bought.

quityerbitchin and buy one! :)

·
15,415 Posts
It was a DID non oring chain, the grease came from within the rollers not the outside unfortunately.

I love supermoto's having spent most of my childhood motocrossing, it's the retraining the brain to ride them at road race speeds which gets scary :laugh

A supermoto feels fast compared to the TL but is infact generally slower. A twisty hill climb that we do here in the UK takes me 43 seconds on the TL and I couldn't crack less than 47's on the CRF despite braking 50 yards later for every corner.

Each bike has it's own place I guess and brings big smiles for different reasons.

Best keep one of each for whichever mood your in :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Doug, how is it you can spend so much dang money on bike stuff but you can't seem to pull the trigger on that steering damper even though you NEED it more than other stuff you've bought.

quityerbitchin and buy one! :)
I have to admit to being guilty of doing this on my track bike too. I spent big $ on the suspension only to keep the stock damper on there. It's seems to do the job well enough but I want to at least check and make sure there is enough oil in there.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Are you using 190 rear or 180? Have you tried a 180 on track yet?
Plus, are your wheels still stock?
+1 on You really shouldn't compare a TL and a KTM for track.
It should feel so much heavier due to weight.
What's the lap time on TL compared to the KTM?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you using 190 rear or 180? Have you tried a 180 on track yet?
Plus, are your wheels still stock?
+1 on You really shouldn't compare a TL and a KTM for track.
It should feel so much heavier due to weight.
What's the lap time on TL compared to the KTM?
I used to run 4-5 sec per lap slower on my R. It had aftermarket wheels, Penske, Race Teched front, etc. I prefer the 190. There is nothing wrong with the S, the problem is the race only bike that weighs almost half and has slicks is so much easier to ride, I find it hard to justify working so much for so little :coocoo

I love riding the TLS and I will give it a fair little bit of track time, but the KTM is what give me my G-Forces and puts big smiles on my face.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Me personally i have only been to the track on my old FZR 400 4 times 2 years ago. I know for a fact that on a tight twisty track that would give the tiller maybe not a challenge the first lap but by the second run i'd be worn down and sore where as the FZR 400 could be flicked back and forth like a mountain bike. I prefer the Tiller over my 94 750 for commuting but even then it has the edge in terms of flickability and just confidence inspiring suspension. But when i'm not on the track and riding in the real world i prefer the tiller low down 2k RPM torque and its got decent handling to stick to the road. No doubt about it though my friends 06 CBR 600rr in my hands would turn much faster lap times then either the 750 or tiller. However i gotta love the soul of the bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A 600rr will outrun a TL at the track? What tiny track do you race on? Really though, bigger the track the more and more a TL will outrun a 600, heck, get a small track and a 250 will beat a 600. Everyone should have changed over their stock suspension before hitting the racetrack if they want lots of feedback. It is getting dated but I'll never sell.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts