TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a run today. Sun was shining but the roads were still a tad damp. Had been riding for about 20min at a steady 70-80mph heading towards Richmond. Came to a steady right hand bend, slowed down to about 40 (Can be done at about 80 in the dry) and as I peeled in both tyres lost traction totally. I slid about 2ft to the side .. Enough to loose my balance and my feet to come off the pegs. I then get that really scary "World slows down" effect. Im banked over and I realise im not gonna make the corner now. If I stay banked trying to get round im on the grass and off the bike for sure. So I decide to stand the bike up and hope to loose some speed on the grass and look for a soft bit for the inevitable crash. I hit the kerb and launch onto the grass ... Im now sh**ing myself and the bike starts to buck and weave on the grass. After the bend I lost it on, the road goes left and now im heading back towards the road and oncoming traffic. Thank God the guy coming towards me saw me and hit the brakes. I went back on the road and over to his side of the road. I managed to stop about 3 ft from the front of his car.

After the compulsary 15 mins sit down and 3 ciggies I walk back to where it all started .... Theres nothing on the road. No diesel, no gravel, no dirt, no wet leaves ... nothing. Just a wet patch. :confused

My ride home was horrible. My confidence is shot to pieces. I could barely take a corner at more than 20mph without tensing up. Have now decided that Pirelli Diablo Corsa's are deadly in the wet. 8 years of being a fast wet weather rider gone in 10 seconds.

Im so glad im home in one piece.

:hail TLR's

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
just one of those things mark:O
i've had it on the bike and in the car where i've lost grip for no good reason.
you should have seen us at our second croft trackday. i went out on supercorsas an was sliding about at every bend! tower was probably the worst as that's where i came closest to crashing:dowhat

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
damn, glad your only shaken and not broken........

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm like that every day m8, and when the its really windy it worse :( So i know how you feel, cant really put finger on why its that way, was fine on my ninja but the tl freaks me out at times, took me months to get used to her when i first got her, dry no problem, wet i like a granny.
Main thing is thou your ok and then ya bikes ok, get back out and take it easy.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Lucky the guy in the car saw that you were in trouble. Shake it off and sign up for a track day next season and ride in the wet. Keep telling yourself, anything you walk away from is just a learning experience, good thing you kept a cool head and didn't wad up the bike during your off-road session.
FYI, the general consensus in my track club is that the Super Corsas are better than the Diablo's in the wet..strange huh? My favorite wet tire so far is the Bridgestone 014.
Just curious, what was your tire pressure set at?

Ken

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Lucky the guy in the car saw that you were in trouble. Shake it off and sign up for a track day next season and ride in the wet. Keep telling yourself, anything you walk away from is just a learning experience, good thing you kept a cool head and didn't wad up the bike during your off-road session.
FYI, the general consensus in my track club is that the Super Corsas are better than the Diablo's in the wet..strange huh? My favorite wet tire so far is the Bridgestone 014.
Just curious, what was your tire pressure set at?

Ken
i've got diablo corsas on mine and find them very good in the wet, bouncer has supercorsa pro's on hers and hates them in the wet, normally she is very good on wet roads and i have trouble keeping up, but since shes put the super's on she is really slow now, i guess it's down to how you feel with them, but personaaly i think the diablos are the best wet weather tyres i've had, mind you i don't ride when its cold out now and that would be a different story if they aren't warmed up enough,
i used BT014's for a couple of years and thought they were good till i tried the diablos:O :O

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
damn scary stuff glad U made it :scared I know the feeling I used to be scared of the wet but since doing a trackday in pooring rain on the avon azaro pro tyres I lost most of that

But it sucks when stuff like that happends since it takes time to regain the confidence of wet riding but U will get there again :)

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pressures were normal road ... 36 & 38 psi.

They are the Corsa 2's.

First time Ive had the Corsa's on. The normal Diablo's were an amazing wet use tyre. Ive NEVER lost grip like that before without an ovious cause and I could to do some serious speed in the wet. Thats the main reason my confidence dropped. Might just bin the Corsa's and buy some standard Diablo's.

Oh ... Theres a small dink in my front wheel from hitting the kerb. So my undies were not the only thing damaged.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
There's only one cure. Go and drive in the next rain.
I lost it in the rain in my last track day this year. Nothing bad, just a lowside on the brakes. But so suddenly, I couldn't do anything.
Repaired the bike, changed the tyres to full wets and drove again. Even if I was slow, I think it was important to drive again.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...one day last summer I hit a fresh tar snake on some newly paved road... same effect - the front tire slid about 4 feet, don't know how I stayed up, had no choice but to ride home since I was about 30 km's away...

Glad to hear you're not hurt...

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt. One thing to look at is current DOT tires compared to just a few years ago. Most new performance tires have very little tread on the sides. Great for clean dry conditions, but not so good in wet sandy etc.
I love these tires but when it's wet, they're downright scary

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I hit a REAL snake once, way out in the country. Momentary wiggle, nothing at all exciting like yours. Glad you & the bike are ok :)

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I agree with the others. Just get back on the bike and ride it in the rain. Trackday would be great for the confidence. My first race on the TLR and first race ever in the rain was at Daytona. See below. Started wet, ended up on the banking watching sheets of water stream down the banking thinking "This is insane", but I got over my fear of the water pretty quick.
I would switch tires also. Riding is so mental, that tire is tainted for you. Atleast you came out okay. Wash your undies and get back out there. :)

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
glad you didnt get hurt. :thumbup

last thing we need is another fallen brother

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know its a mental thing now. But its that tiny bit of brain saying "Your gonna crash in the wet and you wont be as lucky as last time" ive gotta get rid of.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
871 Posts
holy crap i got scared just reading your post! glad you made it through unscaved!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Glad you're ok. You'll back out there again in no time. The day I bought my TL I wasn't able to borrow a friend's truck, which was fine b/c there was only a 10% chance of rain. However, that 10% was for 1 hour in a downpour on my 3-hr ride home. I was amazed how well the brand new Diablos it had on it were, and since then, no complaints in the dry either:thumbup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts