TLZone Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mind you, it wasn't all plain sailing. The throttle housing seized yesterday morning on the way to work, so I called the dealer and was told to bring it straight in so they could take a look. 3 hours later and they tell me the dismal news...........£540 and they couldn't do it that day. Aaaarrrggh!:banghead Left it with them and told them the situation and then called them this morning to ask if they could get it done for lunchtime so at least I'd get half a day on track. Well, bugger me. 11 o'clock and the phone rings to tell me it's ready to roll. Whatever people say about stealerships they've done me proud and pulled out all the stops to get it done.

Went to the track this morning anyway to sign on. Did a sighting lap in the pick up :laugh and then got a drive in a Westfield...

It was absolutely pi$$ing down but good fun none the less. Managed to get it a bit squirrely out of one of the corners at least:devious

Then got a pax lap in a Toniq R....

What a tool that thing is. Sideways just about everywhere. Trouble is with no screen you tend to get a bit wet when it's raining :devious

Anyway went off to pick up my car and parted with the requisite greenbacks and back to the track and managed to get 3 laps in before the lunch break.

After lunch I had some tuition booked and made the most of it. A mad Brazilian instructor who was excellent and commended me on my driving and the fact that I knew I'd got a corner wrong before he told me. He showed me some excellent tricks and I improved no end. It was then off to do some more laps with Garry as a passenger.

Ooops. Just chasing the car in front and gave it too much throttle on a left hander and round it came. Snapped back the other way when I braked but stayed on the grass (Garry managed to hold his tongue this time and wasn't screaming like a girl). The beauty of the track (Bedford Autodrome and Jonathan Palmer) is that there are virtually no gravel traps and acres of run off so you'd have to be really unlucky to hit something.

A few more laps and I was starting to get the hang of it.

Then Garry came out again and I was catching up with a Radical (pukka racing car, but obviously with a wuss driving it) when it let go again. I didn't brake this time and just let it slide. 720 degrees later and we were facing the right way so I just popped another gear and off we went. I even managed to catch the Radical and overtake him before the end of the lap :devious

The instructor had showed me that if you get your lines right then you can be so much faster than more powerful cars. I overtook both the Westfields when he was with me.

Garry got a pax lap in the Toniq as well...

The upshot is that I had a brilliant day (eventually) and can't wait to do another. They've got another on the 16th December and I think I might have to partake.

I was really impressed with the way the car handled. I have just bought a new set of wheels and had Eibach springs fitted to lower it and stiffen the handling and it worked a storm.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm stilll waiting to do my first track day on a bike let alone a car :banghead looks fun mind.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sounds awsome:clap

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
was a great day despite all the rain in the morning, i was amazed by the level of grip the cars have in the wet, wouldn't even take the bike out for a slow lap in those conditions, the toniq R is an awesome car, 200bhp and weighs about 600 kilos with the driver in it, there was another one there with a fireblade engine in it less power but still dam quick.kept going into corners thinking "oh shit we ain't gonna make this one" he just tipped it in and out the other side we came with the back quirming all over the place under power, superb stuff,
was a good warm up for taking the BMW to the nurburgring next may, should be interesting:devious
bouncer proved she could drive a car bloody fast as well as ride her bike quick:hail :hail :hail
we even overtook a lambourgini on a couple of sessions, over half a million quid and a little bmw 323 comes past:laugh
there was a couple of guys there one in a scooby and the other in an EVO Vlll who were show boating everywhere, the evo was at 90 degrees to the track on some corners and he just straightened it out and carried on, seen drifting before on the net and videos but to see it in the flesh was unbelievable:hail

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
, I have never heard of Bedford Autodrome :eek:
good circuit johnny

http://www.bedfordautodrome.com/
was better ran than most of the bike track days,
open pit lane so you could go out when you wanted,
free rides in the other cars on this event,
free tea and coffeee with biscuits,
much more relaxed atmosphere as well,
they have strict noise limits there but that was ok for most people,
altogether a splendid day

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
We're not surprised that Adria stuffed a couple of others :)dowhat ) and Gazza, you look like you're about to shit yerself!!

Oh, and we're so very very fackin' jealous :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:) Looks like a top day , :hail How many £'s for the day :O :)

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
It's been year since I had a cage on a track... Is a blast though. :devious

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Shame about the car drama's and the rain, but it looks like you had plenty of fun anyway.

What's in the passenger seat of the Toniq that makes your eyes bulge? (Both of you)? :dowhat

G

·
very cool :) looks like fun fun fun :thumbup

the only trackday i ever managed to do with a car, was on the nurburgring with my dad's audi 100 estate :laugh he never knew :laugh we had fun too :devious

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's in the passenger seat of the Toniq that makes your eyes bulge? (Both of you)? :dowhat
Just the thought of a car that weighs about as much as a *** paper and 200bhp, in the wet.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Lee and Paul did a track day up bedford the other month and Donnington last month, only £99, would have loved to have gone but didn't have any spare redies!!! :banghead :dowhat :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i was at a race meeting today, got some cool pics of some ex v8 supercars from our series her ein aus ( 650bhp 5 litre windsors and chevs ). doing about 220 past me here as the warping shows, plus it was my phone camera.

and a few vids from my phone

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
seen them racing on eurosport, feckin mental, more like stock car racing the way they barge each other out of the way, my brother in law has a holden, bloody mental car,if you can afford the fuel for it,

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Bloody Hell ! :dowhat :dowhat there's a ghost from times past !!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nancy boy drifters......drifters says it all!!...must be the music they listen to!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts