TLZone Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
GSXR750K6 Trackbike, TL1000RY Road bike, BMW F650 Dakar, Beta Rev 3 270 Trials
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just bought a TL1000RY - first big twin for me. Pic below of me collecting it.

Its in pretty good condition with some mods like TRE, K&N filter, Exhaust, Power Commander with custom map, 4 pot Nissins, Glafer discs, braded brake lines, Maxton rear shock conversion plus some electric mods. 31k miles on the clock.

First time riding it yesterday(!) - and its the first time on a sports bike on the public roads for about 25 years. Most of my time spent on racing circuits or pottering around on the adventure bike, so found myself being more nervy on the road than a track! Give me a bit more time and I'll get used to it but really enjoy the torque and thumping exhaust note!

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,477 Posts
Welcome to the forum highsider99!
Looks nice!

If you had an ADV bike for the road, what was the driving force to pick up a sportbike? (Good choice, BTW (y) )

·
Registered
573 Posts
Welcome! Glad to see new TLR owners even after 18 years after end of production period ;)

·
Registered
GSXR750K6 Trackbike, TL1000RY Road bike, BMW F650 Dakar, Beta Rev 3 270 Trials
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you had an ADV bike for the road, what was the driving force to pick up a sportbike? (Good choice, BTW (y) )
Good question.

Short answer is that I was looking for something not often seen on the roads (so a talking point), but still capable and not too expensive. It didn't have to be a sportsbike...

But a sportsbike for the road does help when riding the track bike because of muscle memory. I go to the track very infrequently, so often I spend half the time getting used to being on the bike to finally feel comfortable. Riding the TLR will help being in that sports position so it will feel more natural.

Why the TLR, compared to something like a Aprilia RSV Mille or anything else?
  1. I've always been curious about the TLR. Heard about the history, great engine, but 'strange' suspension and handling. It always seemed to be a bit of an unloved bike. So when one popped up for sale, I was interested.
  2. I still remember a TLR track bike in Spain several years ago - really well sorted. This guy was from somewhere in Scotland. The owner put different fairing and seat unit on it and it looked stunning - you would not have known it was a TLR. On track he was super quick - I couldn't match him out of the corners on my GSXR and barely matched him anywhere else. These are one of those moments that burn into your memory. I wish I took some photos of it.
  3. There are a few 'biker' meet ups near where I have moved to recently (Cotswolds in the UK). Lots of weird and wonderful bikes - new stuff, old stuff. Not seen any TLRs so nice to be on something that is a talking point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts