TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i get my licence back in a week and a half after a "rest".

In trying to get the old girl ship shape i found i had a caughing and plug fouling problem. I posted this up and asked fro some tips..

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=78049

So as suggested i've just completed the plus and ground mods..
When i tried to start her now i get the red light and "FI" error with no ingintion at all (it tries) ..

I'm over it it.. What the heck can i do? :banghead :banghead :banghead

The battery's on charge..
Tomorrow will put my last set of new plugs in...
Will check all vacuum hose connections..
I can try and get it in dealer mode although i need clear instructions!

I can roll back the plus mod?

Don't say it's the coil because i'm stuffed if i know how i can get the front coil out? what size nut is it? what tool should i use? (i ask becasue the coil lead is in the way for an open ended and it looks like an 8mm??) :O

Otherwise i'm going to have to tow it to a stealership mechanic :banghead

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
If you never had the FI indicator up and now you do after doing the mod, you screwed something up with the mod. Put it into dealer mode by shorting out the two wire in this plug.

Read off the code and report back. (You didn't check for any codes or the TPS setting when it 1st started playing up?)

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
PM ruby we had a problem with mine when he done the mod. it was easy fixed by switching a couple of wires (coil i think)

i was'nt there at the time so i cant say what it exactly was. i was busy with a potential buyer for the RC-51 at the time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
c00 - no fault.... grrr
I guessed i'd screwed something up but followed the plus mod to the tee...

I'll also give ruby a pm..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so it's somewhere in the relay! I've disconnected from the relay the old orange white whire & new wires to coil and connected them together...
So in the mod pic it's the 87 & 85 i've connected together without the realy involved..

So effectively i've rolled back the mod!

Where did i go wrong? Battery is on charge at the moement.. The TPS is in the middle. Is the relay stuffed?
so re my caugh problem... How do you change just coil leads? how do they disconnect from the coil?

·
Registered
321 Posts
The TPS is in the middle. Is the relay stuffed?
so re my caugh problem... How do you change just coil leads? how do they disconnect from the coil?
Probably has nothing to do with your main problem, however does your cOO line move up and then back down to the middle when you take the revs up a bit?
I wrote on another link on how I'd had my bike fixed; well it was to a degree, but not properly. I finally got around to setting it up correctly last weekend and test rode it today - much better. Initially when I was adjusting it, I could get it into the middle ok, but it wouldn't move - took some persistance, and it had to go up to ~2 K rather than 1400.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G'day Peter!

Yeah i did the full test on the TPS in dealer mode and no drama at all...
Idling at 1100-1200 and in the middle up to top at around 1500 give or take!

I now suspect it's a stuffed relay and will spend a whole $12 today and test tonight - otherwise i think i'll skip the plus mod!!!

Something i've noticed that may be a diagnosis factor in the whole drama in the first place....

It seems to take longer now to drop back the revs - ie. give it a quick rev and it winds back down sloer???

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I doubt it would be your relay. But check it anyway.

The positive cables that run from the relay to the coil should be okay. Try tracing the negative wires (black) from the relay to the negative plug on the coil(s) (try one at a time first). I remember the mistake we made with Veetwo's bike (the wiring was modded in the first place anyway) was that the negative wires plug into the loom and onto the coil. Swap these two around: -ve wire to the loom goes to the -ve coil, and -ve wire to the coil goes to the loom. I'm sure that was Brett's problem.

:thumbup

If still no luck PM me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i've decided it's all too hard..
The additional earth/grounds i've run to the frame seem to have had an impact so i've rolled back the plus mod for now.

She seems to be running smoother now so maybe was just an earth prob.

Given i still have the fareings off today i will be cleaning her from top to bottom inlcuding those damn white rims. Wednesday i'll be back on board with a ticket to ride!!!

I'll save the pus mod for one of the dyno days at Steve's given i have all the bits - We could then do a live test of any perfromance improvement! and there's more brains available to assist!

Thanks everyone for the help here....

·
Registered
52 Posts
did someone say another dyno day at steve's:devious

·
Registered
321 Posts
those damn white rims.!

I've recently put ProGrip, and there are probably alternatives available,
pin stripe tape around the edges of mine's white rims. Doesn't help with the cleaning but looks ok and brightens the bike up a bit.
After just returning from the Snowy Ride and having dome 1700 kms, the rear rim is still relatively clean. Don't over apply chain lube, and I've probably said it before... just a small squirt of Motorex lube gives me about 500 kms of clean rim service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts