TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Last saturday I bought back my TL1000S 1997!
I sold it back in 2016, had my arm twisted by the ex-wife. Looking back, I should have gotten rid of something else there and then, and not waited 2 more years... 馃槇

Anyhow, I got to the seller, and had a look. The bike looks quite ok, some scratch here and there that wasnt there before, but no biggie. The seller stated that it had a drop of oil on the bottom plug now and then, he had changed the oil but didnt replace the crush-washer. Front brake pads needed replacing as well.. Other than that its pretty much the same as when i owned it. The seller also said it ran good, but it didnt idle very good.. I asked him how hot it got, and he replied "never over 80".. Hmmmm...

Took it for a short spin, and it ran like crap! Bogging and jerky.. I thought it might have to do with the fact that TB's and TPS hadnt been sorted in a while.. Also the oil-level was very high.

After some discussions about the price, I bought it. Loaded it onto a trailer and drove the 250 km home.. On Sunday, I started to adress the issues at hand, starting with draining a litre of oil. And it reaked of petrol.. Put the plug back in the hole, and tried to tourqe it up to the 23Nm acccording to spec. And it didnt.. Threads shot! Added to list of things to fix.

Lifted the tank and the first thing i saw was that the vacuum-hose for the AIP at the rear of the airbox wasnt connected.. Removed the airbox, connected the hose and fired it up. Idle high as the sky, turned it down to 1200RPM and all was well! Got the GPS and TB's sorted, and now it idles and runs just fine. The temperature reaches 82C without problem. I would guess that the fact that the hose was disconnected was related to petrol getting in to the oil.

Next is to change the brakepad, get new rotors up front and change brake fluid!

Good to be back! :D

Reactions: Rickysnicker

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome back Jonstorp!

Sounds like minimal damage to your old friend. (y):)
Thank you very much! Yes, it could have been worse. But I cant help feeling that the bike has been violated when it has been with other owners.. 馃ぃ
Well, i have oversized the oil plug, so thats sorted. Also got new brakepads front, new clutch cable and oil filter today. So thats on the agenda for tomorrow. Also see if the front rotors are warped, or if the bobbins/bushings are stuck. There is a strong pulsating feel when I use the front brake..

Registered
Last saturday I bought back my TL1000S 1997!
I sold it back in 2016, had my arm twisted by the ex-wife. Looking back, I should have gotten rid of something else there and then, and not waited 2 more years... 馃槇

Anyhow, I got to the seller, and had a look. The bike looks quite ok, some scratch here and there that wasnt there before, but no biggie. The seller stated that it had a drop of oil on the bottom plug now and then, he had changed the oil but didnt replace the crush-washer. Front brake pads needed replacing as well.. Other than that its pretty much the same as when i owned it. The seller also said it ran good, but it didnt idle very good.. I asked him how hot it got, and he replied "never over 80".. Hmmmm...

Took it for a short spin, and it ran like crap! Bogging and jerky.. I thought it might have to do with the fact that TB's and TPS hadnt been sorted in a while.. Also the oil-level was very high.

After some discussions about the price, I bought it. Loaded it onto a trailer and drove the 250 km home.. On Sunday, I started to adress the issues at hand, starting with draining a litre of oil. And it reaked of petrol.. Put the plug back in the hole, and tried to tourqe it up to the 23Nm acccording to spec. And it didnt.. Threads shot! Added to list of things to fix.

Lifted the tank and the first thing i saw was that the vacuum-hose for the AIP at the rear of the airbox wasnt connected.. Removed the airbox, connected the hose and fired it up. Idle high as the sky, turned it down to 1200RPM and all was well! Got the GPS and TB's sorted, and now it idles and runs just fine. The temperature reaches 82C without problem. I would guess that the fact that the hose was disconnected was related to petrol getting in to the oil.

Next is to change the brakepad, get new rotors up front and change brake fluid!

Good to be back! :D
welcome back! FAN! ;)

Reactions: Jonstorp

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
welcome back! FAN! ;)
Thanks, @Troy !

Update: Didnt need new rotors, just free'ed up the bobbins and cleaned the pistons on the brake calipers. New pads in, and the brakes up front is just fine. New fluid will go in this winter..
However, either the battery is bad, or something else. Voltage drops to 6-7 volts when cranking (lights off) so now it doesnt start. Need to take a look at the wiring and connectors. Just ordered me a charger, so i can get it running and measure voltage at idle and 3k rpm. Hopefully that will give me a better clue of what the problem is..

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I got my CTEK charger in the mail yesterday, so i went to the garage to charge the battery. Off with the seat and thought that i should check what type of battery the PO installed. Found a cheap 135CCA batttery from a store Biltema (discount auto parts). Baattery added to the list of things to fix. :rolleyes:

Registered
I got my CTEK charger in the mail yesterday, so i went to the garage to charge the battery. Off with the seat and thought that i should check what type of battery the PO installed. Found a cheap 135CCA batttery from a store Biltema (discount auto parts). Baattery added to the list of things to fix. :rolleyes:
Go Lithium!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thought about that.. But i ordered the charger before i checked what kind of battery was installed. I thought the PO had bought a "up to spec" battery.. I didnt look properly. So if i am to go lithuim, i need to buy a new charger as well.. So this time around, i will get a gel-battery i can lay flat for gap mod purposes.. :D
Go Lithium!!!

Registered
Thought about that.. But i ordered the charger before i checked what kind of battery was installed. I thought the PO had bought a "up to spec" battery.. I didnt look properly. So if i am to go lithuim, i need to buy a new charger as well.. So this time around, i will get a gel-battery i can lay flat for gap mod purposes.. :D
Don't tell anyone, but I use a regular charger on my battery (however the manufacturer says its perfectly ok. It has a built in charge manager. EarthX, but I doubt they are available over there... ).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts