TLZone Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Must be a bit hard on you and the family mate but i look forward to your updates..........bet hes watchin eh.............:devious

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dakar 2007: Stage 1 Lisboa - Portimao

* 14:43 Alphand is pushed down to 16th as more of the runners finish the stage.
* 14:30 With all of the expected front-runners through the stage, it looks like Sousa has this stage wrapped up.
* 14:08 Jutta Kleinschmidt is slowest so far, 16th in her X-Raid BMW.
* 14:06 Defending champion Luc Alphand lies a disappointing 12th after the first stage with more cars still to come through, but there is a long way still to go.
* 13:58 THERE IS A SHOCK IN STORE TODAY. CARLOS SOUSA, DRIVING A PRIVATEER VOLKSWAGEN, GOES FASTEST. He is two and a half minutes faster than De Villiers!
* 13:54 Guerlain Chicerit goes fifth, so he's sandwiched in between the Volkswagens and the Mitsubishis.
* 13:51 Ari Vatanen and Mark Miller end the stage. VATANAEN GETS THE EQUAL TIME OF SAINZ. He goes joint second. Miller goes fourth so it's Volkswagen's filling the top four places. Now that's what I call a whitewash.
* 13:36 Giniel de Villiers has set the best time of the six cars through so far in his Volkswagen. His 1:23:09 is seven seconds up on Carlos Sainz and almost three minutes up on Stephane Peterhansel.
* 13:26 FARIA WINS THE STAGE. He beats Gonzalez by 16 seconds. All he needs to do is make it to the overnight spot in Portimao to ensure the current host nation have at least one winner come the end of the day.
* 13:24 Coma is through... and he is only 13th overall.
* 13:22 Cyril Despres is over seven minutes off the pace in 10th so far. Things are looking good for Faria with only Marc Coma to come.
* 13:18 Giovanni Sala is 11 minutes down, and he is only 18th with that.
* 13:13 Isidre Esteve Pujol completes the stage exactly five minutes slower than Faria. He is fourth overall.
* 13:12 Jean de Azevedo is over 13 minutes down on his Petrobras Lubrax KTM.
* 13:10 Five riders to go and Faria still has the best time from Gonzalez and Casteu.
* 13:06 With only 10 riders still to clear the stage finish, Faria still holds the top spot in the bikes. He is 16 seconds up on Helder Rodriguez and almost five minutes clear of David Casteu.
* 12:49 More problems for the privateers. After getting going after his engine problem earlier, Toral has stopped again, but at least Robert has completed the stage.
* 12:20 Ruben Faria completes the stage in 1:22:07 on his Yamaha, that's five minutes clear of the next best time. There are still 36 bike competitors still to clear the stage though, so it is unlikely he will hold onto the top spot.
* 11:52 The leading cars are into the timed section with Luc Alphand among them.
* 11:50 There are problems for some of the other bike competitors though. Yamaha privateer Simon Droux has stopped with a clutch problems, while Anthony Filatre crashed - but still completed the stage. Christophe Robert's Honda has suffered a fuel inlet failure.
* 11:30 Nazare Santos is the first competitor to complete the timed stage, so, for the minute at least, he leads the section. His time is 1 hour 38:15.
* 11:10 Already we have our first problem in the bikes, as Yamaha privateer Pablo Toral suffers an engine problem 26km into the timed section.
* 11:10 All the bike competitors have now reached the timed section of the stage.
* 11:00 Jean-Louis Schlesser: "We have worked for ten months, particularly on the aerodynamics and the engine."
* 10:52 But the cars are still rolling off the ramp.
* 10:45 All but four of the bike competitors have now entered the timed section of the stage. Only Isidre Esteve Pujol, Giovanni Sala, Cyril Despres and Marc Coma to go.
* 10:35 eurosport.com's Dakar reader poll makes for interesting reading. So far, Stephane Peterhansel is your favouite for victory with 28 per cent of the votes. Carlos Sainz has 17% while Ari Vatanen and Jutta Kleinschmidt both have 13%. To register your vote, go to the Dakar news page.
* 10:20 Luc Alphand: "Mitsubishi have done a huge job and we all are interdependent in the team. After the death of Henri [Magne] last year, we spent the days trying to reinforce our links together, in order to win this Dakar for him. It's not important if it's Stephane, Nani, Hiroshi or me. I guess I am the Favourite though."
* 10:09 Mark Miller: "My objective is to win Dakar 2007. I am convinced that we're in the best position we'll ever be in on the event. If I want to win Dakar, this is my best chance."
* 10:06 Carlos Sainz: "It is my second Dakar. Now, I have certainly a little more experience in the desert, but I am still a beginner in this sport. After having been at the head of the field after the first two days in 2006, I would like to again create a good starting base for the first African stages."
* 09:58 Giniel de Villiers: "The Team has worked hard during last months, but in the two next few weeks, we need also a good amount of luck too. We want to try to put the pressure on our main Mitsubishi rivals. It goes without saying after our 2nd place in 2006, our ambitions are very high."
* 09:56 Ari Vatanen: "There is suspense in the air. Dakar is a mega event. I am happy that after this long preparation, it is finally time to start. On the first two stages in Portugal, I expect a tough challenge. There will be undoubtedly many spectators at the edge of the track so we will have to watch out. From the sporting point of view though, you can lose much more than to gain the first two days. The true Dakar will start only in Morocco."
* 09:55 Hiroshi Masuoka: "I am very happy with new Pajero. The suspension and handling are better. After (the stages to and from Nema to Timbuktu), the road was modified and the rally is shorter than the other years. For us, it is even more important then to push harder from early on because there is less chance to make up time later."
* 09:48 Stephane Peterhansel: "The new co-driver rules from last year are still in place. They put a lot more pressure on co-drivers so we have to prepare a lot more than before. During the race, I can guarantee to you that adrenalin gets into the car because you are not wanting to lose time."
* 09:39 The first of the cars are getting off the startline now.
* 09:35 The first bike riders are reaching the start of the 117km timed section. It's a loop near the Portuguese coast and Nazaro is first in. That heavy fog is not clearing either.
* 07:35 Ahead of first start Joao Carlos Nazaro Santos, last year's winner Marc Coma and the other 243 bike competitors is a 115 km stretch before the timed section gets underway at approximatley 09:35.
* 07:20 Welcome to LIVE coverage of the 2007 Dakar Rally on eurosport.com. We are just ten minutes from the start of the event, with the bike competitors set to lead things off.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Awsome stuff:hail

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
They aint got it on SBS yet this year. Anyone know whats up with that.
@ Veetwo - I didnt know Andy was related to your family. Sorry to hear that mate. He is one of my alltime favourite Riders and i followed him closely for years. May he Rest in Peace.

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
They aint got it on SBS yet this year. Anyone know whats up with that.
@ Veetwo - I didnt know Andy was related to your family. Sorry to hear that mate. He is one of my alltime favourite Riders and i followed him closely for years. May he Rest in Peace.
thanks mate.

yes SBS is telicasting it. seen a few ads for it.
wife is heading down the shop now for a TV guide.

FOX has stage 1 on today. (FOX 1,2 & 3 @ 10:30 & 18:00 EDT are telicasting it. its all over the place this year with the channels)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yeah caught it last night,second stage.Woowhoo
I always thought it started abit earlier in the year?

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah caught it last night,second stage.Woowhoo
I always thought it started abit earlier in the year?
no its about this time of the year :)

VOLK where are you ? its been a while since his last post :O

1 - 12 of 12 Posts