TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to link my PC to my mates laptop :O step by step tutorial please.
also how do i go online with his through my system for updating soft were.

sitting here waiting :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
connect em, goto MY Network Places and go from there. should be pretty straight forward as far as i can remember ?

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tl1kr said:
connect em, goto MY Network Places and go from there. should be pretty straight forward as far as i can remember ?

my network places - on his OR on mine ?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
To help determine which network technology best suits your needs answer these questions:

How many computers do you have?
Where are they located—are they in the same room or different rooms?
Are any of your computers laptops?
Do any of your computers have network adapters installed? If so, what are their types (Ethernet, HPNA, or wireless)?
Apply your answers to the following examples of home network layouts and configurations. These suggest how to use the different hardware choices available and can guide you in deciding which hardware you need to buy.

Computers are in the same room
You have a home office and all of your computers are in the same room. In this example setup, the most cost-effective network technology is Ethernet. If none of the computers has an Ethernet network adapter, purchase:

One USB Ethernet network adapter for each computer.
One Ethernet network hub with enough ports for connecting each computer.
RJ-45 network cables for each computer.
Another solution is to buy wireless network adapters for each computer. An added advantage of using wireless adapters, besides eliminating the need for physical wires, is that you can easily add other wireless-equipped computers—such as laptops—later.

It is common in either setup to connect the ICS host computer to the Internet via an external DSL or cable modem attached to an Ethernet network adapter. Should you do this, you must purchase a second Ethernet or wireless network adapter for the host computer. The second adapter is necessary so the computer can communicate with the other computers on the network.

Computers in the same room

Click to enlarge

Computers in different rooms
In this network example, you've recently purchased your new Windows XP computer and set it up in your home office. You have moved your older computer into your child's room. The new computer—which is the ICS host—has an Ethernet network adapter attached to an external DSL or cable modem.

If there are phone jacks located near each computer, purchase:

One external USB HPNA network adapter for each computer.
Home phoneline network adapter (HPNA) kits are available that make it easy to network one or two computers together. You simply plug the network adapter into the USB port on the computer and into the phone jack. The computers are then networked together.

As in the previous setup example, another solution is to purchase wireless network adapters for both computers. Simply plug an adapter into the USB port on each, and the two computers can communicate using radio signals.

Home phoneline network

Click to enlarge

Computers in the same and different rooms
In this example, you have a couple of computers in the same room, computers in your children's rooms, a laptop, and perhaps one other computer in the kitchen. One of the two computers located in the same room is running Windows XP and has an external DSL or cable modem attached to an Ethernet network adapter.This computer is the ICS host. The other computer in this room also has an Ethernet network adapter. For these two computers, purchase:

One Ethernet network adapter for the ICS host computer (in addition to the Ethernet adapter this computer already contains).
One Ethernet network hub.
RJ-45 network cables to connect each computer to the hub.
For the computers in your children's rooms and the kitchen that do not have network adapters, purchase:

External USB HPNA network adapters for each computer.
One HPNA network adapter for the ICS host computer.
Purchasing HPNA adapters assumes the computers are located near telephone jacks. If they are not, or as an alternative, purchase:

Wireless network adapters for each computer, including the ICS host.
Finally, for the laptop—let's assume it contains a wireless network adapter—purchase:

One wireless network adapter for the ICS host computer, unless it already contains one.
Notice that in this example the ICS host computer must contain four separate network adapters! A simpler solution for such a complex network setup would be to install wireless network adapters on all computers.

Sketch your own setup
The locations of your own network components—computers, printer, etc.—and the distances between them probably will influence your choice of network type and wiring installation.

To better visualize your needs, you might want to sketch the floor plan of your house showing the location of each device you intend to connect. Indicate the locations of electrical and telephone outlets, and obstacles to wiring such as walls and areas where exposed network cable might either be dangerous (bathrooms) or unsightly (living room). Then join the devices by sketching in the paths of the various cables required to connect them. If your Windows XP computer is going to share its Internet connection, note that in the sketch, too.

Computers in the same and different rooms

Click to enlarge

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
everything you need to know is already on your pc. goto HELP then NETWORKING :)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
If you don't have a hub, you can go pc to pc with a cross-over cable instead of a straight through one.

It's been a while, I'm using a router and running DCHP so it's been a while since I've gone machine to machine manually. From a failing memory

The machine hooked up to the net - allow internet sharing in the network adaptor settings. Set it's IP to something like 192.168.0.1, mask 255.255.255.0, leave the gateway blank. (In the TCP/IP settings)

Machine plugged into it, set it's network card to something like 192.168.0.10, mask 255.255.255.0 and it's gateway to 192.168.0.1

(You'll have to right click on the directories you want to see and enable sharing on them. Don't forget to unclick them when you're finished.)

You might have firewall issues too.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Steve TLS said:
If you don't have a hub, you can go pc to pc with a cross-over cable instead of a straight through one.

It's been a while, I'm using a router and running DCHP so it's been a while since I've gone machine to machine manually. From a failing memory

The machine hooked up to the net - allow internet sharing in the network adaptor settings. Set it's IP to something like 192.168.0.1, mask 255.255.255.0, leave the gateway blank. (In the TCP/IP settings)

Machine plugged into it, set it's network card to something like 192.168.0.10, mask 255.255.255.0 and it's gateway to 192.168.0.1

(You'll have to right click on the directories you want to see and enable sharing on them. Don't forget to unclick them when you're finished.)

You might have firewall issues too.
:stupid
if you don't have a crossover and are confident in your splicing ability it is easy to make from a standard. here is a reference http://www.pcmobilehelp.com/support/cat5WiringDiagram.htm (just splice the 1 & 3 pins to the other and then do the 2 & 6 pins - use the colors)

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i ended up just burning the programs on disc & put them on the laptop he just needs to do the updates when he goes on the net.

i tryied to do it with a eithernet cable. went into start > control pannel > network & internet connections > network setup wizzard.

we got them linked & opperating :) but then unpluged his LAPTOP (had a problem with it running on batttery instead of mains - got it fixed) but in the mean time my PC droped out from the net. had a play done the usual disconect the ADSL modem & reconnect still no go.

called bigpond 24/7 :laugh 1hr 45min later im back on 2:30AM. there was no connection between ADSL modem to PC but all lights are green & modum USB cable pluged in :confused .
ended up unpluging & deleating the ADSL modem from the PC settings then reconnect & all working.
start > control pannel > performance & maintanance > system > hardware > device manager > delete alcatel speedtouch 530 USB modem. then repluged in USB modem to PC all was fixed.

1hr 45min your thinking
:laugh the telstra bigpond 24/7 IT guy thought i was on ADSL modem 530 speedtouch broadband eithernet but im on ADSL modem 530 speedtouch broadband USB.

but after all this we repluged the laptop to my PC (eithernet cable - my PC reconised the connection/link - the popup came on) but he had no internet connection through my PC before the problems we did have internet connection :O
he did'nt leve the laptop with me so i cant sort the connection out :banghead i realy wanted to get on top of this so i have learnt how to do it. BUGGER :banghead

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yeh its the first time ive gone into a laptop & had a look around.
i hate the mouse pad :banghead i keeped opening files/folders when not wanting to. also the desktop icons & pages are way to big for the screen size. i looked at his resolution settings & icon settings & could not get them smaller/all set to the lowest.
running XP PRO with a shit graphics card 'd guess :O

appart from that id buy one as a second device :)

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
veetwo tls said:
:confused i dont use MACINSHOT :laugh
but i like the clip :laugh

Well at least I got your mind off it for a minute.

For future reference do this:

Connecta LAN cable to both or make a cross over cable

Give each machine an IP, set the mask to 255.255.255.0.0, and set the gateway of each machiine to the others IP address.

Lets say you have machine 1 and machine 2

Machine 1
IP: 192.168.1.1
MAsk: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.2

Machine 2
IP: 192.168.1.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

on machine 1 click start then click run, type cmd and click OK

a command window will open type: net use k:\\192.168.1.2\c$ /user:username&&explorer K:

Where username is an administrator on PC2
Assuming you have simple file sharing turned OFF it will prompt you for a password and then open a folder with the contents of the other PCs C drive.

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chucks_net said:
Well at least I got your mind off it for a minute.

For future reference do this:

Connecta LAN cable to both or make a cross over cable

Give each machine an IP, set the mask to 255.255.255.0.0, and set the gateway of each machiine to the others IP address.

Lets say you have machine 1 and machine 2

Machine 1
IP: 192.168.1.1
MAsk: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.2

Machine 2
IP: 192.168.1.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

on machine 1 click start then click run, type cmd and click OK

a command window will open type: net use k:\\192.168.1.2\c$ /user:username&&explorer K:

Where username is an administrator on PC2
Assuming you have simple file sharing turned OFF it will prompt you for a password and then open a folder with the contents of the other PCs C drive.

:thumbup
got this page bookmarked for next time :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts