TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dammit!!!!!! For the first time ever in 20 years of riding I got a fat f'ing speeding ticket on a bike.

All the crazy shit I have done in my youth, all the 100mph holeshots, all the dam wheelies, all the burnouts, etc., and today I was just a little fast on a road I ride almost daily at the wrong time while trying to get to a dentist appointment on what could be about the last ride of the season and I was politely handed a ticket by a fresh young rookie for 53 in a 30....

Spare me the lectures, I am no spring chicken.... besides, you all know it is the tillers fault....hell it looks fast just sitting in the driveway.....

Sad thing is now I might just have to get rid of her and get something less inclined to get me in trouble...thinking DRZ ... I had another ticket this summer on the freeway in my cage so one more and they gank yer license in this sucky state so this little mishap might be the beginning of the end of my tiller love affair.....can't see the point of having her if I cannot get on it once in a while:O

Pfffffft, I feel like sammy hagar.....

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Bugger :O

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Stinks to hear.
I got two tickets for wheelieing this season alone.... :O
Just means no more horseplay and go tear it up where no Leos are...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
i got a wreckless for pushing my Tiller inbetween two cars on a red light.. he said i was splitting lains.. im like mofo why didnt u give me a ticket when i was splitting lains on the highway like the red sea.. its all good man just smile cuz nothing is worth a bad mood or a stress attack..:thumbup

Ash

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
That sucks man. Now the Insurance company's going to use that as an excuse to raise your rate for the next five F*cking years!
Here in Connecticut you have to go to traffic school after three citations, and they charge you $60 for it.

Of course if the three tickets equals ten points -you lose your license anyways.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
voodootwin said:
That sucks man. Now the Insurance company's going to use that as an excuse to raise your rate for the next five F*cking years!
Here in Connecticut you have to go to traffic school after three citations, and they charge you $60 for it.

Of course if the three tickets equals ten points -you lose your license anyways.
You eeent kidding...Six fookin years actually....I figure it will cost me $3k-$5k over the next 6 years in increased premiums....it is sort of a dark corner in our society no one wants to really acknowledge...like a big scam. If anyone took the time to see exactly what a speeding ticket really costs them there might be some sort of revolt! Insurance moguls swinging from the heighest trees etc..(probly just wishful thinking on my part)

Sort of funny: I kindly asked him if he could cut me a break and he followed his polite refusal with a suggestion that I go to court...that while they almost never throw it out they almost always knock $50-100 off the ticket. I jokingly told him that while that is a nice gesture on the commonwealth's part, I would gladly give em (the court) $1000 if they threw it out....

Yeah I will take the 100 bucks but the actual fine really aint squat compared to 1)the 1000's that will be extorted from me by the evil axis that is the insurance co's or 2) having to give up the tiller over it:bawling

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Ins on my DR250 is $109 a year and I'm 24. Some states don't even require ins for bikes (but your still liable for any damages ya do to others of course).

There's a decent chance you can get the actual charge lessend, not just the fine by going to court. Every locality is different, but in my area they have a traffic court that is a total joke, don't hope for much there, then ya appeal to a real court where some effort is made on the part of the judge to actually run the court in a professional way and see that justice is done. If ya got a good excuse, clean record, volunteer for traffic school etc ya stand a great chance of getting it reduced. Depending on how well you think you can research the situtation (could take some time) and conduct yourself in court it might be worth hiring a lawer. It'll probably pay for itself in ins savings - esp if ya keep the tiller.

Ya might also consider the SM or TE610 over the DRZ, better in every way imho and not a lot more expensive (less expensive than trying to get the DRZ to perform even sorta close to a stock 610).

If its any comfort, I just had an absolutely fantastic weekend on a 12 year old DR250. Riding is huge fun no matter what bike your on:thumbup

have fun

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
DangerCell said:
...get something less inclined to get me in trouble...thinking DRZ ...
DRZ's are much cheaper to insure, but still go 53 in a 30 :coocoo

·
Registered
790 Posts
MrTucker said:
DRZ's are much cheaper to insure, but still go 53 in a 30 :coocoo

+1,000,000
I'm not sure if you have State Farm around, but hopefully something similar. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that speeding tickets don't raise your premium. According to my agent the only thing that raises it is an AT FAULT accident.

I can understand if you gotta sell it because the insurance costs may be higher, but don't sell the tiller because of potential tickets it could cause you to have. It's just a machine. Any bike can speed, and I sure as hell would rather be going the speed limit on a tiller than on a moped. :O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I don't know, 55mph is pretty fun on my little DR250 but rather boring on the TL (unless its round a sharp bend).

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
DangerCell said:
You eeent kidding...Six fookin years actually....I figure it will cost me $3k-$5k over the next 6 years in increased premiums....it is sort of a dark corner in our society no one wants to really acknowledge...like a big scam. If anyone took the time to see exactly what a speeding ticket really costs them there might be some sort of revolt! Insurance moguls swinging from the heighest trees etc..(probly just wishful thinking on my part) ...
And can anyone guess why insurance companies (or their associations) donate radar detectors and other fine yet moderately expensive equipment to various police department? ??? :skeptic Must be in their nature to help "Serve & Protect". It certainly couldn't have anything to do with promoting ticket writing which has a direct correlation with the premiums charged and subsequent profits for insurance co's. :coocoo:grrr

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Insurance is such a racket it seems. Without knowing much about it, it would seem that the market is open for a more realistic ins company - surely a company that objectivly evaluated its clients and only charged enough to cover its expected costs plus a moderate proffit could under-cut the existing companies in many situtations.....My guess is that there are all sorts of crazy govt regulations that tie the hands of ins companies when it comes to pricing for different folks etc, but that's only a guess..................

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I received a wreckless because I lopped the front wheel last month accidently about eight inches off the ground. The officer was a complete JERK.

If COPS would do the job they are hired to do like back in the day. Find, detect, search out criminals and leave the rest of us good citizens alone perhaps they would have a better following. I use to give to the local police fund. I don't no more. They screwed me over IMHO one time to many. Now when they call I tell them nope because a recent LEO gave me a :bs ticket. You lost my funds and anyone one else I can convince as well. Then I hang up.

It's a conspiracy.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
mystahagy said:
...I was pleasantly surprised to find out that speeding tickets don't raise your premium. According to my agent the only thing that raises it is an AT FAULT accident...
:dowhat Your agent is an asshat. One ticket jacks your rates up, the following tickets raise it, but less than the first does. Trust me on this, I've had my share. And state farm wont even give you the time of day if you have 3 or more speeding tickets.

I've had 4 speeding tickets and ZERO at fault accidents and my insurance is through the roof.

Insurance guys will tell you all kinds of :bs to get you on board

·
Registered
790 Posts
MrTucker said:
:dowhat Your agent is an asshat. One ticket jacks your rates up, the following tickets raise it, but less than the first does. Trust me on this, I've had my share. And state farm wont even give you the time of day if you have 3 or more speeding tickets.

I've had 4 speeding tickets and ZERO at fault accidents and my insurance is through the roof.

Insurance guys will tell you all kinds of :bs to get you on board
summers donna - BTW I was already a customer, they weren't trying to "reel" me in with BS. I've had two tickets, within a month of each other, with no change :O That's when I asked. Also this was last year, I know sometimes those rates take a while to kick in. Hmm...maybe it's all lies and my agent really IS an asshat. C'mon man, I'm no expert and I hate the insurance industry as much as the next guy, but I'm well aware of the amount I write on the monthly payment. Sorry to hear you got screwed. :coocoo

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
mystahagy said:
Sorry to hear you got screwed. :coocoo
you must be the lucky one. everyone I know who ever got a speeding ticket had the same thing happen, rates increased. I've talked to many different insurance companies about this and got the same answers from all. My sister even worked as an insurance agent for a while and she says the same thing. And it takes until the policy renewal date (and obviously after the court has processed it) for the rate to change. but what do I know...

·
Registered
671 Posts
you skated on all those other violations that could have gotten you arrested and now you are complaining about this one!? i know its frustrating but looking at the big picture i'd say you've been lucky. just my .02

1 - 20 of 31 Posts