TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
i've had 80-90 from full to fuel light when absolutely caning it on the old engine. got a tlr engine now with the thermostat mod and regulary got 130 miles to the light

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
stu_m said:
86 miles to reserve :confused

without going mad :O
thats what I get...on my DRZ :coocoo

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
i get about 100 to the first time i see the light... but i normally ignore it and it goes away.:laugh But i have a huge huntch that my TLR is running very rich.:O
Ive gotten 130 on long trips before....:O

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my mates TLR used to get the same as my gsxr about 100 miles when caning it and about 130 when steady

but this TLs seams to drink a bit or is it just me

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
interpol said:
that's what i get too..

what thermostat mod tornado? the rad fan switch?
the 97 tls has the water temp sensor in the radiator. 98 onwards has the sensor in the thermostat housing where it should be. moving it to the thermo housing brings running temps up above 80C and changes the ecu to the hot map so the bike uses less fuel

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
stu, do you fill it with petrol on the side stand, or while seated on the pilots seat with the girl standing upright on her feet?

I used to get 110-120 miles on my R before i was pushing it. Now I fill it standing on it's feet... 150-155 and I will be pushing... Blinky light @ 100-110, solid @130

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i always fill while the bike is stood straight up with my on it wobbling about to get as much as possible in the tank

think i will have to get her on a dyno to check the fueling and go from there could be running very rich :O

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
the light means jack!

it should take 18L. see how much fuel goes in after light comes on. my tlr still has 6L left in it after the solid light. at about 170km it flashes about 190km it goes solid and at 260km it runs out of fuel.

P

·
0 Posts
:stupid

You are just below half full when the light starts flashing.

Ive never run out of fuel on the TLR, now, take an XR and ride with the general pack of sportsbike... :banghead
Have run out of fuel trice, sportbikes have huge durn touring tanks if you ask me... :lol

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
:stupid's

I'd hit about 85-90 miles before the flashing started, but got as much as 150 (of easy highway riding) before the sputtering started. Luckily I was pulling into the gas station at that time. but my DRZ will hit 95 miles before I have to throw it in reserve and get to a pump in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
hell when i drive like a crazy man i get 75 miles before the light comes on! but if i cruise i get 125-130 before :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
tornado said:
the 97 tls has the water temp sensor in the radiator. 98 onwards has the sensor in the thermostat housing where it should be. moving it to the thermo housing brings running temps up above 80C and changes the ecu to the hot map so the bike uses less fuel
:stupid

also, the 98+ have different water pump covers and t-stat housing/T-stat with rad-bypass built in. If ya ride in cold or rainy weather you'll need to upgrade these parts inorder to maintain proper engine temp.

I relocated my temp sensor to get a true reading and only found that my engine was truely running way too cold. Fiddled with different T-stats without any real change them mounted the wp cover and bypass from a 98+ model and now it stays a proper temp even in super cold weather and heavy rain:thumbup

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
when i filled her up when the light came on it took 12 quid which is about 13 litres

but that was squeezing every last drop in to the tank

i might fill her up and have someone on standby with a can of petrol and ride till its run out then i will know for sure how much i can get out of a tank :laugh

1 - 20 of 26 Posts