TLZone Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just noticed it from cleaning the rear wheel. The bar on the right hand side that connects from the rear calliper, the bar that runs under the swingarm. Is that supposed to be tight, or left loose? I have never had a bike with this and it scares me.

Thanks!

Also, almost hit a bear last night!

Only his front was sticking out of a corn field and I thought it was a big dog. Well upon slowing down he jumped in the road and stood up! I am over 6 feet and he was taller than me so he had to be a good 250-300lbs! If I would have stopped I would have hit him, so I did a little dip to the left and hammered on it. Front wheel went sky high and I got by him. It didnt even scare him, he just looked at me and when I turned around he was just walking across the road. Thank god I didnt hit him, would have ruined my evening!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
mine is tight, but it is an R. Doesn't mean it is correct!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Yes, loosen it for wheel removal and torque to 25.5 ft-lbs on both the TLS and TLR.:coocoo

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, it was lose to the point the bolt had over 1/4 inch of play!

I will tighten it down like you said. I just wanted to make sure it woudnt bind under a load. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Just a big picture note for you, none of the bolts on the motorcycle should ever be loose to that extent, and you shouldn't be able to turn them by hand.

Sorry, but I thought it might be worthwhile to say that to you. :)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Believe me, you don't want to loose that arm.. you really don't. Don't ask how I know..

TLS_Addict said:
..Thank god I didnt hit him, would have ruined my evening!
:laugh

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldnt tighten the bolt without using a wrench. I torqued it down and took a quick ride up the road. It seemed no different but now I have a better feeling about it.

Had a guy on a 02 750 Katana though ask me how close it was. I just tole him that its not worth comparing.....lol

The katana is a cruiser/tourer made to look like a sport bike. They are heavy and cushy but do a great job of moderate sport riding. I had to explain to him the difference between a GSXR and a GSXF engine, he thought they were the same and just cammed different. Although the engine is related to the original from the 80s.

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
I thought it was a GSXR engine period. Instead of doing a complete revamp they used a reliable engine and a cheaper chassis and suspension setup.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not quite, check this.

My friend sold his Katana 96 750. It is oil cooled, a guy I worked with had a 96 GSXR 750 and his is liquid cooled.

Look at the bores and strokes and the width of the engine, they are comletely different engines.

Same with the Katana 600 and the gsxr 600.

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
TLS_Addict said:
Not quite, check this.

My friend sold his Katana 96 750. It is oil cooled, a guy I worked with had a 96 GSXR 750 and his is liquid cooled.

Look at the bores and strokes and the width of the engine, they are comletely different engines.

Same with the Katana 600 and the gsxr 600.

Your compairing a 96 to a 96. Compair a 2000 model to a 96 gsxr, or a 96 to a 92gsxr. they arent going to have the NEW (same model year) motor as a GSXR they have the last generation or later.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure, never had it off.

Is there anyone that can confirm me on the engine difference between the GSXR and the GSXF? The GSXF is just a little updated from the original GSXR, at least that was my impression.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 06 750 katana still has the same engine as the 96, which is the same as the 92, only little differences is all. The gsxr got liquid cooling in the 750 in the early 90s. Same with the gsxr 600. The 1100 gsxr got liquid cooling around 93, the engine in the gsxr 1100 and the katana 1100 are also different bore and stroke, even when they were both oil cooled the. And the difference grew when the 1100 got liquick cooling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
chraika1 said:
ok speaking of nuts and bolts.. the big ass round bolt on the rear wheel.. u know the one with the lock pin in it.. size 36 or 38mm.. mow many foot lbs should it be tight ?
36mm and I have mine torqued to 75 ft lbs, but I'm not sure what the factiry spec is.

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Er... It's 72.5 ft/lbs or 100nm

Not 100 ft/lbs though :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
The katana aand GSXR engines are both oil cooled, from the same castings and of the exact same design as the early GSXR from 1986-7 GSXR until about 1993ish when they became water cooled. (and early 2nd generation katana, not sure of year exactly, but about 1987-8 I think...) All of the katana's and GSXR's oil cooled engines are practically interchangeable externally speaking, differing internally with respect to cam profiles, compression ratios, bore & stroke, port size, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts