TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drained the oil and this seems to be alot of metal stuck the drain plug magnet !! Anyone agree or is this normal? I have neglected the oil change for about 6000 miles now, and it smelled like there was some gas mixed in the old oil.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Not too bad, I have seen lots worse when I screwed my tranny. Mine is about like that some times.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Nope, not unless it gets worse, how many miles 10,000 ish?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Its not a huge amount of oil, but more than I've ever had come out of my TL. My guess is lots of rather quick/rough shifting combined with fuel diluted oil might have shaved a bit off the gears. I've had similar amounts of metal after a long hard off road race (lots of full throttle upshifts and no throttle down shifts), I wouldn't really worry about it, but I would worry about fuel in the oil. Have you done the 98+ temp sensor location/rad bypass/T-stat mod?

good luck

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No i have'nt done that mod yet thats on my list though! Will that stop the gas from getting in the oil? What causes the gas to get past the rings?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
No i have'nt done that mod yet thats on my list though! Will that stop the gas from getting in the oil? What causes the gas to get past the rings?

Gas gets in the oil from running the motor too cold, it doesn't atomize like it should and washes down the cylinder walls, past the rings and into the oil in the crankcase. Sounds crazy, but its true - keep the bike in the ~180°F range and you'll not get fuel in your oil, get much better fuel economy and probably run a bit better (certainly no worse). A must-do mod imho (but I also ride in a lot of cold weather - still even N2 found it useful in socal).

have fun

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Mod the 97 so the coolant sensor is in the thermostat housing like the 98+ models. The ECU will get the correct engine coolant temperature and not run so rich.

Fit the hotter '98+ thermostat too.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid but don't forget the new style rad bypass too. I tried just the first two and it still ran super cold in cold/wet weather, did the new style wp cover with bypass and now it runs ~180 all the time, even in weather way below freezing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts