TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all

I'm having serious performance issues above 6000rpm and I'm almost out of options. It was acting up at 8500a few days ago, so it's getting worse. I've checked all valve clearances and one or two are .01-.02mm out of spec on the loose side, which is not enough to matter. All connectors and sensors are plugged in, excluding the unused running light plugs. I've checked the TPS in dealer mode and it's in position. I've sprayed around the vacuum hoses, airbox, etc. with ether and nothing leaks. I haven't checked fuel pressure yet, but as soon as I know of a way other than taking it to a shop, I will. If I have to take it to a shop, I just may. The only other thing I can think of is that while the bike sat for almost 3 years, the inside of the tank rusted enough to partially clog the fuel filter after a week or two of use. I hope that isn't the case as a new filter is $50 and the panel gasket is over $25 if I can't get the old one off in one piece. Any help finding a used, but low mileage filter would be greatly appreciated. Maybe you know someone who high-sided their bike and trashed their tank? So, back to the original question: Has anyone used Kreem's tank prep/cleaner on their tank and did it damage any internal parts of the tank? Did you remove your pump when/if you used the Kreem liner? The inside of my tank has surface rust and that needs to be addressed when I replace the filter.

·
Registered
219 Posts
do the in-line fuel filter mod and inspect the pump while youre in there :yes

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In-line filter mod?? I'm going to have to check that out. The only mod I've done to date is cutting the steering stab bracket to more easily lift the tank. Thanks, man.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Absolutely do not put kreem in the tank without removing fuel pump/filter assembly! You will have issues there. When doing the kreem, take out the assembly and make a plate that covers the hole. Then you can do the kreem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anyone who reads this knows of something I may have missed in my "attempt" to solve the problem, feel free to put in your $.02. If you enjoy imagining my hair becoming more and more like the color of my bike (<---------look that way), you are a sick individual. For real, if I missed something, let me know. I was told the problem sounded like a lean condition by a local shop. My certification doesn't make me know it all, it just gives me an excuse to claim to when I'm right a few times in a row.

·
Registered
593 Posts
damn...not fun when your bike is down...good luck...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've used the Kreme kits in 4 tanks and it has worked great. You definitely have to remove the pump thoguh.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I'd try a new filter and / or the external filter mod. See how that goes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:cheers
Thank you all for the help. This thread has been read almost 50 times and nobody has given me anything I may have overlooked, so today I'm getting stuff for the in-line filter mod and looking around for some tank prep and liner. When I'm done with the wrench work, I'll update with the outcome. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to once again have wheelie inducing power.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, the mod is done and the engine once again revs properly. I haven't test driven it yet as I wanted to get these nasty pics up first. By the way, the mod cost me a whopping $15 and quite a few hours of bending a tube with sockets and a bench vice(I lost my tubing bender). It's not pretty, but it's functional and I'm pretty sure it will handle the pressure. That damned Goodyear FI rated hose with the blue inner is $3.99 a foot, but one foot did the trick. Overall, the mod was very easy but I would recommend using a tube bender and don't use a blade to cut the fittings off the old q/c line as there is an o-ring on them. I decided to use CLR to clean my tank rather than kreem and yes I removed the pump assy and made a cover plate before putting that stuff in the tank. If the tank starts to rust again I'll get the Kreem and do that, but I needed the bike on the road ASAP for cheap. I don't know the torque specs on the pump assy bolts, so I put them to 60in/lbs. It doesn't leak and none of them broke, so I must be pretty close. There are a few more pics in my album that I couldn't attach. I can't believe I tore the bike down twice checking valve clearances and vacuum lines when it was the fuel filter making it act up.:banghead

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts